I Forge Iron

My Anvil has been ordered!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slightly less excited now, Jim called me back to give me the shipping quote and said the shippers had told him 5 days for delivery, which is the longest time he can remember for anything shipped west of the Rockies.

Oh well, I've waited this long, a few more days won't kill me.

I started like many others using a piece of RR Track then purchase a Harbor Freight Russian cast steel anvil and that's what I've been using for the past few years. Though at the classes I've taken from Jerry Culberson at Old Cedar Forge, I have used both the Gladiator and the Centurian anvils and liked them very much!

A freight company named Con-way. I'm having it shipped to my work where they have a fork lift to take it off the truck. If I had them ship it directly to me and them bringing the forklift it would have cost a couple hundred more in shipping.

I will trailer it home from work and am borrowing a friends engine hoist to move it around to it's working place once here.

I'm planning on building a wood box / sand filled anvil stand to hold it. That way I can raise or lower it more easily till I find the best height for me.

Congratulations Larry,

A buddy of mine just bought one (he drove up to PT to get it) and he's just thrilled with how it performs!

Take some pictures of the new "love" in your life. Make sure to include some pics of how you move it into your shop!

I thought about driving to pick it up myself but cost of fuel these days, I'd be paying about the same to get it myself as it cost to have it delivered. Granted I'd get it quicker doing it myself but I'd need to take a day off work.
I can wait. I'm pretty good at being patient.

hey larry i have been a fan of rush for 30 plus years
and thats the first time i recognized that lyric , heard it a zillion times but never put ti together
The blacksmith and the artist
Reflect it in their art
Forge their creativity
Closer to the heart (Rush)
nice , what a nice signature

Thanks Chuck, I also have been a Rush fan for years and have also been wanting a signature line that better reflects my feelings. I had forgotten that lyric until I heard it on the radio the other day and it was like "YEAH!" That's what I want!

Hey Larry,

Yeah, my friend really had to weigh the costs of going to get his anvil as well.

He finally decided it would also just make a nice day trip and chocked it up to relaxation as well as getting the anvil.

Oh man, the Rush lyrics are one of my favorites - I invite folks when they visit my shop to write their favorite quote or song lyric on the wall as I have them scrawled all over - those particular lyrics are in a prominent place. They resonate so well with me because of the bronze sculptor I work with.

I just posted a link to a youtube video of his work and a casting session in the sculpture forum - give it a look if you get the chance!

That will probably become my new profile picture.

How about a pic of you and your new baby together. Maybe a wedding picture, both of you get dressed up, a little cake, maybe some champaign. :cool:

You know the usual.

Frosty