I Forge Iron

How do you store your scrap?

I guess the first question would be do you collect scraps of material such as steel, copper, brass, amuminum etc.

IF you do collect scraps, how do you store your scrap till you get enough to take to the scrap yard?

I keep a few 55 gallon drums in front of the shop for scrap steel. Whenever they get full I load them into the truck with an engine hoist and throw them off at the steel yard (drum and all). I have found this to be less labor intensive than letting it pile up, loading it into the truck one piece at a time going to the yard and unloading it piece by piece. Plus, if you keep the drum covered your scrap dose not get rusty (nice if you frequently find yourself rummaging around the bins for a small piece of "stock") and the drums keep the area around the shop from looking like a recycling center, which helps to keep area scrappers at bay. With the current price of scrap steel, copper, and brass more and more people are finding that any metal left unatended is "Liberated" by roving bands of urban miners. This problem has gotten so bad aroun here that plastic pluming is used instead of copper in new construction because the buildings were being destroyed by scrappers attempting to strip all metals (plumbing and wiring) during the night.

High carbon in one crate - low carbon in another. I usually toss out mild steel that is less than about 5 inches long unless it's an odd shape (like oval section). Short bits of high carbon are very useful for a variety of tools so not much is wasted.

I can't throw anything away. I have numerous 5 gallonish cat litter and laundry soap buckets and even a couple actual 5 gallon buckets that have a size and shape categorization that I cannot explain because I don't really understand it myself. When ever I cut a piece of material to size, the scrap that is less than 24 or so inches gets stuck in the appropriate bucket. If its less than 6", it generally can be found nearer the bottom of the bucket than longer pieces

it usually ends up in a pile somwhere.... ive got a few boxes layin around and i dig thru it once in a wile to make stuff (tools ect) as far as scrap yard I usually only haul in car parts (minus springs) there... never had enuf scrap to take to a yard and if I did ide probably bring back more than I took...

I hace about 6 55 gallon drums full right now, to me they are scrap and will go to the scrap yard. I generally use new steel for all projects as that is what my customers are paying for. I do keep usable lengths of new steel in some 8" pieces of cut off pipe. I will keep and use 2", and 4" pipe that is used on corral fence and use the odd used scap around the house.
On another note if there is any one in the north Phoenix area interested in the scrap in these barrels let me know before I haul it the the recycler in a week or so.

I only use reclaimed materials for my work (both metal and wood) so I've got a pretty good network o' folk who give me a heads-up if they're scrapping something out.

That being said, I still end up with a large amount of stuff I can't use or brought home that fell into the "I'm gonna use that someday" category so I keep a box under the bench in my shop for all the odds & ends then all my other metal is sorted onto pallets.When it's time for the scrap yard I call up my buddy with his dump-box truck, load it up with my forklift, and it's off we go. I cover gas and lunch and my buddy's a happy guy.

Anything non-ferrous goes into the furnace and cast into ingots for later use.

I have a system. It works fairly well for me. Short pieces ( and or in process parts) get stowed in bolt boxes or shelf boxes. I have boxes for high carbon etc and some drawers ( rivets etc ). Steel hangs on a rack ( bar/rod etc) and sheet gets put up against an old refrigerator. Sheet that is too small for anything ends up in a half barrel under the table ( another half barrel outside for when this one gets full). I MAY sell little pieces of stuff once-twice a year. BTW there is no scrap, only previously cut steel. :) I've been through the bucket brigade gig and I could never find what I wanted. Took long time to get where I am now but try and keep up. A few pegs to store plasma / mig consumables ( new gloves, JB weld etc). Plastic coffee cans to stow clear and shaded glasses ( safety and welding -CLEAN ones). Anyone that has visited my shop knows it is somewhat controlled chaos.

6089.attach

6090.attach

6091.attach

6092.attach

• 2 months later...

Well , I have a platic box i put stuff thats Works in Progresses in. Then under my metal rack I have a Pepsi rack to store short pieces of Tool steel , Then I have a 5 gallon Bucket I put short pices (under 3 foot ) in . Then in front of my shop I have a bucket i put scrap in (which goes to the scarp yard) that is short stock (under 2 inches) , and stuff that is no use to me . Am going to get a milk crate to put short pices in (under one foot)
Thanks,Chris

Scrap could still be bought for $.15 a pound in Scottsburg, Indiana last week. I've got a thing going right now, where I pick up scrap from my mechanic (probably at least half of it's break rotors), sell it to the scrap yard, I think for $.08 / pound, then walk around and find scrap to add to my scrap piles, or to take to Iron-in-the hat, where I also get a little scrap for my piles. Scrap organization? I don't know how to organize it. Heck, I don't even know how to make good buying choices.