I Forge Iron

Platform on the side of an anvil

Hi,

I'm looking at buying the anvil in the photo (not for the price listed on top...) and it has a little platform that sticks out of the side. Total noobie question what is it for/called? You can just about see it sticking out on the back right hand side. Apologies for awful photo but the guy at the rec yard was already looking at me funny because I bought my own hammer and kept tapping away at it and bouncing things off of it so I just rushed through photos ;) 

20180430_163934[4686].jpg

For information purposes I think that the 'extra large' tag was actually meant for the beast behind that you can't see. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just received a reply back from the place and I could have either for the same price. Any advice on which one to pick. If I recall the black one had a bit of a better ring to it but I can't be sure now. The black one does look in better condition and I guess the two horns are nice. I have asked for some extra photos of the black one as I can't recall if it has two hardy holes or one hardy and one pritchel hole. 

Obviously on photo inspection it's difficult to say but any advice would always be appreciated. 

Hard to give advice on which to pick, because your use of it may be completely different than mine. But if JlBlohm's identification is accurate in Britishiron's Anvil Identification Help post of one looking similar to the larger anvil in the back being a "Yorkshire" pattern, I'd have to go with that one, only because one side of my family comes from the Yorkshire area. So, it would be very cool to own one like that.

I like your reasoning ;) I think I might just go with the black one because I like it better.... shhh

I've had two black motorbikes, first was Black Bess and the second was Black Betty (bam ba lam) so anything black, shiny, likely to cause injury and cost more than I have money for appeals to me :) 

1 hour ago, Nick Owen said:

Any advice on which one to pick. The black one does look in better condition and I guess the two horns are nice.   ... any advice would always be appreciated. 

Definitely get the black one if it's got good edges and rings solid.  Number of holes isn't critical because you can drill a pritchel if you absolutely have to have one, or create a bolster plate for punching through at the hardy.  

While the other anvil looks nice, having that tapered square heel like the black one does will make it very practical for a lot of things.  I've wanted a "double horn" anvil like that for quite some time, but they just don't pop up around here when I have money to burn.  It's one of those features that's really handy when it's really handy.  Not having it means you have to make hardy blocks and the like.

She's appealing to me all the more. Managed to get it for £220 which is almost bang on $300. Not a bad price as eBay comparisons go around here. I have reserved both so will double check ring and rebound when I collect on Saturday. Might see if I can buy a ballbearing on quick delivery for the purpose ;)  

Don't know but it was sure pretty! That one had a great ring and rebound too. Will take photos of it when I go to collect my one on Saturday... I assumed that the black one would be the one that was £399 but I'm guess that was actually meant for the 'extra large' one. Could probably talk them down to £300 on that one but there is just no way I would get it back to my house or carry it through my house to my yard! (I have no read entrance to my garden). I couldn't even lift one side of it without using both hands and a lot of heft.

Can't wait. Metal, tongs, hammers, safety gear is on its way... should be picking the forge up from Iron Dwarf on Saturday morning and the anvil should be coming back with me on the way home as well... The only thing I need is to build an anvil stand which I might do by stacking, gluing and screwing 2x4s together.

I don't think I'll be able to wait for that to be built though, I can imagine I'm going to do something stupid like try and forge at floor height on Saturday night.

2 hours ago, Nick Owen said:

I might do by stacking, gluing and screwing 2x4s together

That will work if they are aligned vertical, not stacked horizontal. My first anvil stand was made out of 2X6 scrap & it lasted for years. I replaced it when a large white oak tree came down in a wind storm. That stump is still in service under my 110 pound Vulcan..

Nick, what do you mean by “stick in all directions”? Stacking, gluing, and screwing will get you the anvil block you need without a need for a metal brace.  What do you have in mind?

17 hours ago, Nick Owen said:

there is just no way I would get it back to my house or carry it through my house to my yard! (I have no read entrance to my garden). I couldn't even lift one side of it without using both hands and a lot of heft.

Tie a couple of 2x4s to the anvil (across the face). One person on each end of the 2x4 and the weight is now half.

Put a couple of 2x4s on the ground or floor as rails, and use pipe under the anvil as a roller bearing to move the anvil on. The rails smooth out any uneven ground, stairs (one), etc and protects the floor of the house. Best to go slow and control the entire process.

I took oak boards from a scrapped horse trailer, cut them to length, (outer 2 longer to make an anvil corral), lined them up vertically with the bottoms sitting on the edge of a I beam and used a couple of pipe clamps to hold them in place and then used an electricians bit (bought at fleamarket or garage sale) to drill through the complete stack in several places.  I then used road guardrail bolts and Utility Pole hardware to hold the stack together, (sourced at the same scrap yard that gave me the wood!).  These "home built stumps" have been working well  for several years and I can tighten the bolts if they get a bit loser over time.  I posted a picture of it recently here; but the original is on my home computer. Twas a nice Saturday project and now all my using anvils have stumps!

Yes. 

No hidden pun. 

Two guys lifted it into my boot for me and I had reasonable confidence that I could get it out with the help of a neighbour... unfortunately even the fittest of them can't shift it so it's just sat in my car waiting to put someone's back out

This is one of the more ridiculous questions I've asked but I was wondering if anyone had any bright ideas to get it out? Back work clearly isn't my strong point or that of my nearest and dearest  ;) 

Got the black one, but it is now stuck in my boot and I have no idea at all as to how to get it out... 

Has anyone nearby got an engine hoist you could borrow, or a chian hoist/block and tackle and a handy STRONG tree to hang it from? As long as you can get it out near to it's final destination, a sack barrow or similar could be used for those last few yards of travel.

Crib up under the anvil until you can slide a 2x6 or other board under it. Then slide the anvil along the 2x6 and out of the boot. 

The 2x6 can be attached to the anvil, a fulcrum located outside the vehicle, and leverage can do a lot of work for you.

To carry the anvil, tie a board to the anvil and one person on each end of the board makes the load half the weight.

I don't think I have anything strong enough to take the weight and I don't want the weight to pivot on the lip of my boot. My weak little car will probably crack all the lining or worse :S 

EDIT - Nevermind... I got it out... turns out I'm strong enough, my neighbours are not.... ;)