I Forge Iron

I'm a dad!

Daswulf

On 4/26/2018 at 2:57 PM, Daswulf said:

Hans, yes I got to cut the umbilical cord and it was tough to cut. 

I imagine it was tough... But maybe you shouldn't have used the cold cut chisel and anvil. Just dragging that equipment into the delivery room must have been a chore!...  :P

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its old school traditional to chew through the umbilical isn't it? 

About her grip, I like how it feels to let the little ones hold my beard. The don't really pull beyond testing for a solid hold.

There was or is a good read about human evolution called, "The Decent of Woman," that went into human hair really being for babies to hold onto in water, among other things of course. Plausible thinking, worth the read.  

Frosty The Lucky.

Well last case I did have my boyscout pocket knife but the doc handed me scissors and every thing was happening so fast, I just accepted the accepted method. ;) 

A few minutes later I would have delivered in the car. 

She isn't getting my chin hairs yet but she sure has has a good tug on my chest hairs a few times. 

Thanks Frosty, I'll have to check that out. 

Doctors, nothing you can do about them. <sigh>

Babies only pull on hair if you try and pull away. Next time she grabs a handful try holding her closer, she'll settle down in a couple few seconds and just hold on. 

Amazon has copies and it's available on Kindle. "The Descent of Woman" by Elaine Morgan, 1972. They list a number of paper backs but the hardback price is a lot less. The paperback still in print maybe? Anthropology. blanked on the word before.

Give your baby a hug for me please.

Frosty The Lucky.

Will do Frosty. 

A lot is going on and days just fly by. I am keeping close to them to offer any help I can so I'm not able to pay full attention here, ( as it should be) but I am poking around where I can. It also clears my head a bit from so much new to deal with. Yeah JHCC, life won't ever be the Same, but I Will eventually get back in my shop a bit. For now I'm being the best dad I can and taking care of Liz as well. I'm getting my breaks to keep my sanity. So we are working together to do our job we signed up for. All the precious moments are worth it already. 

You have plenty on your plate Brother handle the important stuff. We'll be here to help you decompress, maybe I can think of a way to talk you into pranking yourself. Hmmmm.

Sanity is over rated just look around. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Not my experience: within an hour of her birth my 9 pounder latched onto my beard and then tried to put her hand in her mouth---beard included. (Note the 9 pounder datum; also my wife was 38 and we did pretty much a natural childbirth---I was NOT allowed to complain about possible pain with my wife in the same room!)  Of course my daughter had already latched tightly onto my heart and brain! I figure sometime in the next 30 years there is a chance of that loosening up as I'm going to be 62 this year...

My second daughter also pulled my beard within the first hour after birth---I figure my wife had coached them both prebirth...She also has a similar grip on my heart and brain.

I don't know about newborns, I've only ever held a couple 2-3 day fresh babies and yes, every one grabbed a handful of beard and tugged. They all settled right down though and just held on. Maybe I'm not dribbling the right kind of lunch in my beard?

Frosty The Lucky.

Lol. Well yesterday we found out that breast feeding wasn't quite enough so we started supplimenting with formula. 

That just means daddy can take her to the fleamarket now and be able to feed her. ;) 

Her dr. Appointment went well and we went shopping for the first run with her in the stroller( car seat fits on it). I'm finding all kinds of room on this stroller to carry stuff. :)  

On a side note... It's really strange to me to have such clean hands without the dirt so imbedded that no matter how much you scrub it won't come off. Well, have a baby and in 5 days of washing your hands 20 or more times a day they will be clean. :) 

who's wraped around who's finger?! :D 

She was looking around after a feeding today when her grandma came to visit. I missed the funniest expressions with the camera but good enough haha. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Das,

Please do not give up on breast feeding. It is the perfect food.

Yes supplementation is fine when used together with breast feeding. Your wife can get a breast pump use it and store it, for delivery by a bottle. (which you can do at the flea market etc.)

The milk does not have to be warmed. It is fine at room temperature

Breasts will produce and deliver more milk if they are regularly emptied.

The first 3 or 4 days deliver colostum not milk. It is a cocktail of many things but it is loaded with mother's antibodies, to help the newborn. Their immune system is not fully functional until about one year of age.

(also, do NOT feed a child honey for that period of time).

I could expand, but I think I have strayed far enough from the thread's topic.

p.m. me if you want that information.

Regards,

& enjoy the young lady.

SLAG.

SLAG, We are going to a breast feeding counseler/ instructor today. We are not giving up on breast feeding at all. We got a good pump and have been getting advice and researching how to produce more milk and better techniques. 

We got the no honey thing early off and I thought I had heard that before having the baby as well. 

Advice is always welcome. Thank you. 

10 hours ago, SLAG said:

Das,

Please do not give up on breast feeding.

Hi Das, I know you have an enormous amount of skills (blacksmithing, building trailers, running a happy family and so one an one)

I’m also sure you have many remarkable and special (sometimes hidden) talents …………………… but I couldn’t imagine breast feeding was one of them :huh:

However breast feeding for here, is like a Single Malt Whisky for us, The best you can get.

Unfortunately Diana get a breast infection after Lisa’s birth (minus 20°C below in February 2003) and couldn’t continue. No fun and not healthy if you pump up blood.

Agree with all the wise men’s above, to stay at breast feeding as long as possible.

Enjoy this great time.     

Living with a wife/mother with Mastitis takes a lot of intestinal fortitude. Particularly if they have to continue pumping to clean out the system.  Ice helps.

Hope you get a good counselor; my wife has "fixed" some issues by showing new mothers other positions to let the baby nurse in where the hospital only showed one. (She's the oldest of 12 kids, has had 4 of her own, been a midwife's assistant, got some experience in the "field"...)

Get over the dirt and steril thing as soon as you can, moms teets aren’t steril, tho baby saliva has some antimicrobrial properties (I hand milk goats). And our immune systems need to be educated not insulated. 

Tho on the food allergy front, fallow the latest advice as to when to intraduce certain foods. An example is peanut butter, we have a neir epidemic of kids with penut allergies in the us wile the approved calorie suplament distributed to the third world consists of penut butter, powdered milk and sugar, no reported intolerance. So one assumes that exposing kids to foods they are not ready for is a contributing factor. 

Another food to watch out for is cow’s milk. Intolerance of the milk protein and fat molecules is far more common than intolerance of the sugar. Many children do not tolerate either milk based or soy based formula. Goat’s milk seems to be a universal solvent. And as raw milk has been proven to actually treat asma (momma milk is raw after all) it’s a consideration if the little one has problems with the formulas and later with off the shelf milk.   

A year from now, invest in a good blender or food processor. Baby food is bloody expensive and it’s nothing special. Peas go in the blender, and caned “pumpkin” is the same butter nut squash put out buy Gurber. Our assessors from the dim past chewed it for them (I wounder if spiking it with mom saliva is a good thing....) 

anyway, I digress. 

Do everthing you can to prop up mom, share the load. No mater how hard you work and how long the hours your time is the most valuable commodity you can give both of them. 

Das,

I just bumped into this scientific report, dated today.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/05/180503085547.htm

It shows that the infant and mother's immune systems are in intimate communication, and their immune systems dynamically co-operate.

Cheers,

SLAG.

P.m. me if you need any explanation of some of the technical terms or concepts.