I Forge Iron

Steel for a corkscrew

I forged my first corkscrew (wine bottle opener). On my first attempt to penetrate a cork, the "screw" got twisted.  :wacko:

Made it from an unknown mild steel (probably equivalent to A36). The screw had a 3.0-3.3mm wire.

Is this normal that mild steel  is too soft for a corkscrew? If you use hardenable steel, do you harden it?

Without a proper tempering oven, I'd say that would be quite difficult to do? 

Given the torque a corkscrew can be under, I don't think hardened would be wise. You'd want a bit of spring in it, so air annealed plays it safe? 

It was Mark Aspery who said it didn't need heat treated in one of his videos, so I'd take it as good advice. 

A toaster oven will do a fine job of tempering a cork screw. It's not like a high impact tool or a pry bar. Just draw it down to purple say if it's a middle high carbon steel like 5160 and it'll be good.

Frosty The Lucky.

Is that not right around the tempered martensite embrittlement realm? (please excuse my ignorance, genuine question)... I was (most likely incorrectly) under the impression that once you go that far, it's borderline needing to be heat treated again because it's quite easy to dip past the point of no return at those temperatures, hence the comment about a controlled heat treatment oven rather than eyeballing it by color? (I suppose a lot depends on the alloy in question also)

Reality check time here guys. 200-400 Newtons? Martensite embrittlement . . . realm?

This is a cork screw, if you're not sure draw the temper down farther. I've never known spring steel to be particularly brittle drawn to purple but that's just me and I can't eat even 200 Newtons at once, a box lasts me a week at least. Sorry, couldn't help it. Yeah I know what a Newton is but I couldn't resist, it's a Curmudgeon thing.

You're not building space craft, painting the Mona Lisa, or such. Heck it's not even a Claymore just a cork screw.

Blacksmithing is about estimations, approximations and eyeball measurement, NOT lab equipment. If we were measuring to that scale the smith would be sitting in an air conditioned control room, wearing a suit and tie, monitoring comp screens and sipping a Jolt Cola. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Garage door coil springs are nice for smaller projects that require more carbon. They make short work of screwdrivers and such because the diameter is pretty much there to begin with. If you harden your cork screw and draw it to blue it should hold up. Make a test piece and after you temper it screw it into a piece of balsa wood or soft white pine, really give it a workout. Once you're satisfied that you wont brake it give it a go on your favorite Cabernet!

PS If you forge a tapered square lug on the handle end (like a brace bit) and punch a square hole in a forged, ornamental handle you can join the two pieces with a little peening and have a T handle model without much sweat. If you have suitable material to make a cork screw, ie spring steel, then you also have what you need to make some square punches if you don't already have a bunch!

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

I can't eat even 200 Newtons at once, a box lasts me a week at least.

Were all thinking it, and Frosty just says it :P.

Seriously though, its just a corkscrew. If your going to use hardenable steel, seems to me you might as well harden it and temper according to its intended use. Otherwise, why waste the metal that makes good blades/tools etc? When you could just use mild.