I Forge Iron

homemade anvil - an exercise of stubbornness

Where I live, the cost to make this project was cheaper than a cast Chinese ASO of equivalent weight!

I bought yesterday the hard facing rods. I went to the welding supplies manufacturer, I set with the technical staff for half an hour to advise with the type of rod to use and procedures to weld. Five kg of rods around 170 USD

I was advised to warm up the welding surface to about 200 C weld and smooth the hard facing in a single go and allow it to cool down really slow. They also told me not to weld more than 3 - 4 mm thick. Just hope the 5 kg of rods I bought will be enough for all the face and tail surface.

If you gentleman have further suggestions, please let me know

thanks

Someday in the far future this anvil will come up on this forum with someone asking to identify the anvil they just bought :D

Great job.  I think this falls into the category of "I did it to see if I could do it."  You certainly made a practical and usable anvil.  Let us know how it works and rebounds.

Caotropheus: The thread title is appropriate in spades. That is a heroic amount of work for a shape. I know how rarely I use the horn as anything but a bottom fuller and I've never used a square horn so I don't know how useful one is.

Beautiful job though, well done.

Frosty The Lucky.

7 hours ago, JustAnotherViking said:

Do you use the 15kg Brooks much? 

Not much to tell you the truth. Most of all, it takes space on the shelf. The anvil I use the most is this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLsgFjkBQtg

the main body is made of the best steel you can get in the junk yard to improvise an anvil. The rebound is so good that  If I miss a blow, I will need a surgeon to replace my face!...

• 1 month later...