I Forge Iron

I've let my anvil and hammer rust

I feel for ya bro. Between siding and roof projects on my garage and my daughters broke down car takin up all the space in my shop due to an engine problem I didnt fire the forge all summer. I would look forelorningly at the lonesome anvil shoved back in the corner almost hidden by car parts and my heart would hurt. Finally, all projects got done and when I was pulling my anvil out of its spot of rest I saw that my beauty looked like yours. Poor old girl. Quickly brought her back to life though with a wire brush and sone hammerin and coated her with some Fluid Film protectent.

Mineral oil works well.  Down here in hot, humid "sunny" Florida, I use a roughly 50/50 mix of mineral oil and mineral spirits with a good size dash of lanolin mixed in for more rust-prone items.  You can leave out the lanolin in a dryer area or more rust resistant tools.  Straight mineral oil works too, but I found that thinning it works great to leave a thin coat once the mineral spirits evaporate.  Mineral oil also has a nice side benefit of being non-toxic so can also be used on eating utensils if used alone.

Do I see the cupping tool we made in that picture? That's a cool Idea with the rag on wood.

Littleblacksmith 

58 minutes ago, littleblacksmith said:

Do I see the cupping tool we made in that picture?  

Yippers! :)

54 minutes ago, Tubalcain2 said:

gotta love your shop chris. I don't think you could take a pic of anything from any angle without the background being full of...clutter.;)

You can say that again.... At least it's better than an empty shop.

I cant even walk in my room safely in the dark with out possibly breaking a toe or cutting a foot open! and for a while I had to be careful not to run into the horn of an anvil...in my room...

Littleblacksmith