I Forge Iron

Need to change my name

Alright so for my name I was going with JB Custom Knives. But that got taken so I went with JBowen knives but its taken too. I already have a touch mark with JB on it so I would like a new name that has JB in it or starts with that.

Does anyone have a new name in mind?

JB,

While I understand your desire to maintain consistency, I think it's worth considering a bigger picture and what constitutes the best marketing decision.

Take J.A. Henckels for example.  According to Wiki, it was founded by Peter Henckels.  The touchmark is twins or "Zwilling" in German.  Peter's son Johann  Abraham Henckels renamed the company but kept the touchmark which is now 286 years old.  The company's name wasn't originally communicated in the touchmark at all.  When it was added, it's noteworthy to me that they also included the city of manufacture; Solingen .

People identify with locations and nature much more readily than some clever turn of phrase in the company name.  Many places are named for notable local features in the settlers native tongue.  Whatever caused them to stop their roving and settle there is likely to be as impressive today as it was then.  Standing out from a huge crowd of companies on the internet requires a name that's truly memorable.  Odds are good that very  few knife makers are going to be in close proximity to your business.  So a potential customer who knows which city/county/state/province you're in  is much, much, more likely to find your website.  It's difficult to come up with the kind of money it takes to "teach" google to bring your website up on the first page of a client's search.

Just now I googled "JB Knives".  Whoever JB Knife and Tool is, I can see that they've spent some serious time and money getting themselves onto the first four results on Google.  From there, I'm seeing what looks to be two other makers, and one knife store.  JB Knife and Tool reappears on the first page list one more time.  All totaled, JB Knife and Tool constitutes about 60% of the search results.  Without clicking on anything, I can't tell you where JB Knife and Tool is located.  

In contrast, I googled "Knife Makers North Carolina"  Three manufacturers appear on a map, not one of which appears to be paying for the ad banner.  I see six separate knife makers along with four results pertaining to the North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild.  It's noteworthy that the #2 company on the list is named "Carolina Custom Knives".

Even if I misspelled a company named after a city in South Carolina, Google's going to find the correct company because the city names are centuries old.  In comparison, a  misspelled search for any of the above suggestions would bring up completely different results with each one.  Unless you've got a packed showroom selling your stuff for free, it's going to be important to get customers onto your website.  People misspell things all the time, especially when using smart phones.

Just throwing this out there, but Gransfors Bruk axes are hand made with the individual smith signing their work in addition to the companies touch mark.  Today you might be a one-person shop, but I hope things go so well, you end up with lots of smiths working for you.

Rockstar,

You are correct concerning, trademarks that that are or have a component that are letters or names.

(especially family names).Trademarks must refer to the product (or service). In other word people that product name with its origin.

An example Is Mazda for cars.

Trade marks must therefor be distinctive. 

Letters are not very distinctive and have much less scope of protection. For example J. B.'s owner would have a tough time

claiming infringement against "g. b. knives". or "Chay Bee knives". But, for example KODAK has a far wider ambit of protection. e.g. kobak products or even gobak ...

Which would be easily found to be infringing by the Federal Court. (because they are easily confused with Kodak.

Family names are also very poor trademarks, as they are not particularly distinctive.

In most countries such surnames are not permitted by their respective trade mark acts. The United States is an exception to that practice.

Ask McDonalds corporations about trade mark their problems.

The strongest trade mark names are those that are coined words. Like Kodak, spandex, Alpo etc. etc..

SLAG.