I Forge Iron

Hand forged tongs from rebar

ryancrowe92

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably much easier and cheaper to find a post anvil of some kind than to learn and cast a 100lbs of cast iron. 

PROBABLY!?  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

One of the guys in our club is a professional caster, mostly bronze but up for most anything. We in the club have been talking about casting steel faced and horned anvils similar to the Fisher. We know how to get a good foundry weld between the face and body but there's a LOT more to it than just that. Pouring even okay ductile iron isn't a backyard enterprise. 

I don't think I"ll ever see anvils with the dipper and North star cast proud. Well not a real anvil, ASO maybe but I don't want our state's emblem on an ASO. 

I had wilder ideas than those when I was his age, it's a good time to stretch the imagination, I lost site of the box when I was maybe 12-13. I get a glimpse every now and then and change course. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I say probably because I don't know his back ground or situation. it's possible some one he knows is a  caster. Idk   Anyway even a mild steel post would be better than cast iron (even IF he had the know how to cast) 

power hammers are great tools but if you don't know the basics of how steel moves under a hammer than the power hammer is just going to help you ruin steel much faster. 

Not trying to discourage you Ryan just making a point. If you haven't had time to finish the tongs when will you have time to build a power hammer?   Have you ever heard the country song "too fast"?

Have you ever heard the country song "too fast"?

No, but there's always Shakespeare:

"These violent delights have violent ends 
And in their triumph die, like fire and powder, 
Which as they kiss consume. The sweetest honey 
Is loathsome in his own deliciousness 
And in the taste confounds the appetite.
Therefore love moderately; long love doth so; 
Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow."

(Romeo and Juliet, Act II, scene 6)

Lets see if I have this thread straight. Ryan wants to cast a power hammer anvil so he can finish his rebar tongs so he can change the fuel pump in his hoopty pickup truck before he's old enough to get a driver's license but summer vacation is over and to help him you're quoting Shakespear. Right?

Okay, that all seems to fit well enough, though I think the Klingons performed the wrong play at the Greek. This should be the "Summer Vacation's End Dream." No?

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm more into making and selling sling ammo and hand forged arrowheads,

Ahh, so that's how you made your outrageous fortune.  I'm pretty sure than means other people are suffering due to your contribution to slings and arrows though.  Still, it's noble enough in my mind.

Shall we mention the redundancy in that Canadian play:  The Married Wives of Windsor?

I don't believe we should, no.

So.... he's on a boat?  This whole thing is turning into the comedy of errors.  Must be Friday.

Call for a punt?

Now that the equinox has come, they can join the fall staff.

Alewives , of course! What, was I thinking?

Frosty The Lucky.

Just don't drop stuff in my ear.

Frosty The Lucky.

"What a frosty-spirited rogue is this!"

Henry IV, Part I, Act II, Scene 3

when is knowing Shakespeare going to help you in life physically 

When Ryan gets back to this thread, I suspect he may not appreciate all this. In fact, he may consider it much ado about nothing.

"What a frosty-spirited rogue is this!"

Henry IV, Part I, Act II, Scene 3

I'll make a note of this one, I like it. 

The Tempest in a Teacup?

I left a coffee cup in a friend's Tempest once but got it back. He already had plenty rolling around in it.

Frosty The Lucky.

Ok I've been busy working but I have good news the truck is fixed except a hesitation in the carbuarater. Forging work will begin when I get a new air source and my forge built. And I have still yet to read you posts while I was gone. 

Ok I've been busy working but I have good news the truck is fixed except a hesitation in the carbuarater. Forging work will begin when I get a new air source and my forge built. And I have still yet to read you posts while I was gone. 

Oh by the way I'm in English 3 I've done read Shakespeare now I'm econ and CP government. And I'm in anatomy and we have to make a prototype limb and start on my new government contract for a "iron Man" suit quoted from teacher 

Might look at some of the full plate armours and how they deal with joints while maintaining coverage.  I have read that NASA reviewed them when they were working on space suits. 

And Shakespeare is just not a one class deal; as you get older different things in Shakespeare will take on different meanings to you.