I Forge Iron

Hand forged tongs from rebar

ryancrowe92

4 hours ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

Myou know, home schooling and votech gives a time to scrounge around for side gigs, like cleaning up yards and such. Get the truck up and running, no reson for a man with a pickup and a willingness to get dirty and sweat to be broke. Your willing to smith, so I know your willing to work.

Make dang sure it's in park or neutral and the parking brake is set! Getting ran over buy your own truck is a possibility if you try to jump the starter terminals! 

Actually I can't drive I only have permit next march when I get my license. Fuel lines are good it's the pumps that gives me trouble and this manual fuel pump should do the trick and for the gear it's not automatic put it in first and break tanks and manifolds are next  

My brother is thinking of coming over this weekend and we'll we have a lot of work to do but it will be worth it a I got an old table to burn and pipes and lids to weld a peice holder to make and a pair of tongs to forge and a 36 pack of Pepsi's to finish and a fuel pump to change and give my brother a lesson on how to drive a stick

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DO NOT PUT THE TRANSMISSION IN FIRST, if you try to jump the terminals on the starter! Yes I am yelling. I should have kept my mouth shut on that subject. 

Have you acualy checked the lines? Specifically were they cros over the frame behind the cab? I am not kidding old Chevy cab mounts sag and the cab wears a hole in them and they suck air. A mechanical pump will still run ok if not under load but an electric will burn it's self up trying to suck fuel, they are good at pushing fuel and use the fuel to cool the pump (even exterior pumps). As the bed makes it hard to see you have to pull the cab mount bolts from the rear mounts jack up the cab and use a mirror to inspect them. 

whats up, its thursday the day everyone likes but still hates cause it aint Friday, got to check the money in the bank tomarrow and if i got the money im heading down to napa and going to get my brother if he decides to come. so fixing the truck is a yes im gonna put my brother to work burning old table and then making new one while i fix truck and empty the fire pot but if he dont come i will not clean up the shop beacuse i aint workin on both by myself cause i aint like i was a few years ago. hopefully im gonna start videoing my stuff so you can see what im doing and what i can do better and my laptop batter is dying so yeah today im gonna start by taking the fuel pump off when i get home and then ill carry it with me to Napa. so did anyone see anything with the rebar.

Thank you for using a few periods in your last post. It makes it much easier to read, thank you.

Would you really like to continue blacksmithing, like is it something you would really like to peruse, or is it just a time killer? I ask this question for a reason, I will maybe say why after you answer, depending on your answer.

Littleblacksmith 

7 hours ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

By definition you have to be old to be a Curmudgian Littleblacksmith, lol

thank you.....I think...:)

6 hours ago, Frosty said:

Littlecurmudgeonsmith

Talk about a mouth full!

Littleblacksmith 

Ok guys it's Friday finally got the fuel pump off and my money has come in yet, I'm worried. Now back to blacksmithing did anybody get anything from the pic of the rebar. See how it was bent. Now I have have a shop to clean up and a tongs to forge after school and I might have to go get my brother so it should be a fun weekend

This is more than a hobby it's more of a way of life for most of us.

To answer your question @littleblacksmith

Ryan: Mark wasn't asking you what you think blacksmithing means to most of us. He asked you a specific question and your response is a dodge, not an answer. You are spending more time and money hopping up a vehicle you can't use instead of banking money to buy something reliable. 

Ignore his typos and just answer the question. Are you actually going to learn to BE a blacksmith or is this just another thing to mess with for a while? You have too many . . . things going on for blacksmithing to be a way of life.

If you'd been a member long enough and paid attention you've seen young men your age and younger who were serious about blacksmithing and are actually making livings at it now. Just Dave Custer's hammers are back ordered to the point he's having trouble finding time to forge new things. Or Alec Steele. etc.

Are you serious or just playing around?

Frosty The Lucky.

I was serious while I was on summer break it was all I done mostly saving money and buying tools and welding stuff I mean I was about 13 when I picked up a torch and my brother is kinda new at this cause he live in the Westminster. I live in Salem and we are trying to make a living out of it just got to do some things first.and wait for income so we can get to work making small blacksmithing projects and it's true I haven't been a member long but I still know a few things

1 hour ago, ryancrowe92 said:

Now back to blacksmithing did anybody get anything from the pic of the rebar. See how it was bent.

I'm not really sure what you're asking us. I only saw one picture of a section of rebar.  Is that before or after you worked on it?  If it's not the shape you want it to be in, then fire, hammer, and anvil can provide the solution. Other than that we really don't have enough pictures or information about what you want to know to answer in a meaningful way.

4 minutes ago, ryancrowe92 said:

After I worked on it, it was bending and I got more pictures it's just a pain to upload them all from my phone

Do you recall what I said about stock bending on the anvil? Will you at least describe how it's bending? Just saying it's bending is too vague for us to give you a meaningful answer.

Frosty The Lucky.

You've probably heard this before, but injuries you get when you are young tend to come back to visit you again when you are older.  You may not be bothered for 25 years, but when you get into your 40's they start haunting you again. I can't speak with personal experience beyond that, but I've been told it doesn't get better.

I said that to say this:   You need to get whatever you are using for an anvil to be stable at a comfortable height for you.  This will significantly reduce your chance of injury and it should also significantly improve your performance.  For most people a comfortable height for the top of an anvil is at their first knuckle when standing straight, at the wrist, or between those two places.

Good to hear, thank you Frosty you are so much better at explaining things and wording things than I am. Ryan, I have a drop of mild steel that I can weld a spike to and you can use it as a stump anvil. I will also ship you some new steel that will be easier to work. Maybe I'll throw in a chisel and punch, I'll see what will fit in the box. You don't have to pay anything, just PM me your address. The stump anvil will have a 5/8" spike, you will, probably want to drill a pilot hole so you do t split the log. Only thing I ask, is USE IT! I am giving you this stuff because I want to help, I could give this to many other people, but if you use it I think then I made the right decision, don't make me regret this.

Littleblacksmith 

Good Golly Mark you're going to put us curmudgeons to shame with that kind of help.

I'm more articulate because I have about 4 decades of practice you don't, you do very well for your age. You're clear and concise where I'm long winded. Please feel free to PM me if you can't think of a word or term. :)

Ryan: If you won't mount your anvil at the right height for you then expect the steel to do unpredictable things. The only real secret to the blacksmith's craft is control. You have to control many things in a sort of dance but if you're going to insist on wearing two different shoes you'll never be more than okay.

Frosty The Lucky.