I Forge Iron

Hand forged tongs from rebar

ryancrowe92

Potential employers credit a GED lower than a high school diploma simply because it shows you don't finish what you start. Sure some folk have good reason but it's hard to document and slackers tend to be good at rationalization. My Father had to leave school in the 8th. grade and got a GED in the early '80s when the company he worked for decided to require a diploma. Dad was the foreman of their machine shop section and could do trig and calc in his head.

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well high school is not for everyone I'm held against my will to be here because they want to ensure their replacements for the future. ok look at it this way they send you to school at age 5 and by the time you are in 5th grade your about 12 or 13 now we learned pre algebra now why cant we learn every thing we need to know then because I've done the math and it has come to over 10,000 hours I've spent at school 7 hours a day since 2006 for 180 a year for 13 years its over a year of time and the crap I have to put up with. teachers think that they are all high and mighty because they went to collage now I understand and respect their experience in the field but that does not mean one is better than the other higher education is becoming sort of a problem even factory job that were dominated by dropouts back in the day are now requiring higher education and that's why I'm taking up blacksmithing so I can live of shooing horses for a living. and maybe a part time job.

hold on my mistake  I made a wrong figure its 16,000 approx. and that converts to 1.82 years

well I'm breaking for lunch see you in 3rd block

No, being a crop out is NOT as valuable as a college grad. Sure a high school grad can make you more than college degree I know I made more than the engineer geologists I worked with. The downside was applying for work, entry level with ANY degree is higher on the food chain than a high school diploma which is higher than a GED and without GED, practice your broom and shovel skills.

Being able to put up with people is an important skill and preferring to quit and make excuses rather than perform your duties tells potential employers you're a problem not an asset. If finishing school is too much work for you what good are you? You DO realize you have to complete school to be a farrier and if you can't do simple books you won't stay in business. 

Apply yourself and you don't have to stay in school so long, you can challenge and win college degrees. It just isn't easy.  Apply 10% of the effort you do to making silly, kid excuses to school and you'll be skipping grades. The ONLY attitude that will get you ANYWHERE is the "I'm ON IT and get er done" attitude. The rest is just annoying noise.

Frosty The Lucky.

get er done

now that's funny.

but look at this the whole world is now being built around having a collage education that cost thousands of dollars and higher education is something you should peruse because of your passion for your hobby. it should not be a requirement because it not right because if you have a diploma you should be able to do most basic work and you guys have been in school now well all enjoy this hobby of working with metal its always been a part of me but we like doing stuff I get to school the first thing I'm behind a table or desk doing virtually nothing of any meaning to get 24 credits to graduate. then at second block I'm getting chew out every day because someone wants to make tutorial lab another class which it isn't supposed to be its for me to make up my work. and I have 3 hours for a break period which I'm bored out of my mind trying to occupy my self with whatever is entertaining at the time third and fourth block aren't that bad except the 15 minutes at the end that take for an eternity to get to. I don't know about you but I cant stand being put behind a desk for hours on end doing nothing. and I do have that attitude towards working not school work. and like I've said I've been going to school for the past 11-12 years but I don't know anymore Its like being stuck at a job you don't like for eternity and I don't even make any money. they teach me no skills pertaining to the outside world I've learned more from my dropout dad than I have the school. I don't know its just tiresome, boring, exhausting, and all of the above. if it was up to me I would be working for money right now because I always work and do a good job. and the teacher have got to be one of the most disrespectful except a handful of them that are actually respectable. one in particular is disrespectful of my opinions on what I should be doing to get my work done and how others do. and I'm tired of doing the same thing 8-315 and I just want it to end I have had testing every week which asks literally the same questions every week no change don't know what they are doing but I really don't care any more and I'm just ranting on so time to get back to blacksmithing so I can take my mind off all of this.

There's a world of difference between "I'm having a lousy experience in my school and think it's a waste of my time" and "School is a waste of time." As an old mentor of mine used to say, "Don't generalize from your own experience."

The thing is, no future employer is really going to care at all about what your school was like or what the teachers were like or whether or not you were bored or engaged in the classroom. They're going to look at whether or not you graduated. If they see you didn't, that's an automatic negative, and you will have to fight hard to get back to zero. Why not start at zero in the first place?

I told one of my daughters that high school was training on living/working in an organized environment under a repressive regime.  It's a useful skill to be gained!

(My stepson took the minimum to graduate, had a lot of "study time" at school and then messed up 1 course and had to go to summer school *after* his class graduated.  Smart kid, he programs for fun and ended up driving a forklift for a job---I pointed out that life would be a lot easier if he flipped those two...)

The GED is a red flag for HR departments as it is often gotten by folks that were disruptive in school, or wouldn't do the work, or were in prison (how a BiL of mine got his...). If you already have too many job applicants to go through, tossing the ged ones makes their job easier. If they are desperate for workers then it is not as big an issue.  What's the job market out where you are at like---for *good* jobs?

Now how can YOU change things within the system?  Can you get an early dismissal arrangements and work part of the day?  If you already have to "make up work" it may be difficult. Working inside the system allows you greater latitude to "bend the rules".   I often found that a teacher would let me sit in the back and work quietly on other things IFF I was acing the tests and homework in the subject!  In math classes I could work on doing all the problems in the book and not just the assigned ones...(very handy when the teacher was using the non-assigned ones as test problems...)  Yes some teachers are right out of Pink Floyd's "the Wall"; my 80 year old Mother told me last weekend about overhearing one of her teachers telling another how much they disliked her as she had read the extra stuff in the textbook and had proved the teacher was wrong about something in class, in the 1940's.  NOT a new issue!

There are ways to use the system to your advantage; A friend was examining my forge as she had a blueprint reading class as part of her welding courses and had to design something---creating the blueprint and then BUILD IT and get graded on how closely the two matched.  She decided that a propane forge would be a good thing to design and build...(I directed her here!---and gifted her with a section of oxytank to use as the shell like mine was made from.)

Yes you are frustrated, I've found that chopping and splitting wood is a good way to burn off some of the evil energy in a positive way.  Start thinking how you can work the system at school for a more positive outcome too.

that was the most positive and funny thing I've heard  and their are a lot of jobs around here its just the high school god requirement. I've been looking at the system for a while now and I just do see it their is nothing I can legally do and its not make up work I have to do is class work that I didn't get finished with so it doesn't become home work time but to her its the insane test time which is what I've dub it since the questions are the exact same. and yeah the chainsaws really help with the anger management. I'm getting rid of the IEP which is where I get my free time but it has to be replaced by another class. and that's how I'm gonna beat the system but yeah I'm gonna do something about it and you got it right about the repressive regime part its like North Korea. The food is terrible and you hardly get anything and your lucky if you have time or if you can find a seat. and with that I'm gonna say that over the weekend me and my brother are going to have a party and come up with a power hammer plan. so it has been announced also.  Have any of you made bloom steel because that's one thing my brother wants to do so do you know where you can get the iron ore.

and with that encouragement I might not loose my sanity before the weekend

The scale from around your anvil is a high grade iron ore called magnetite, it's pretty much the same stuff as the black sand the japanese use in the tatara.

Around places that have been glaciated or have a lot of igneous rocks you can often find magnitite sand in creak and stream beds by dragging a magnet. I'd check on other ores too like limonite, goethite, etc.

searching on South Carolina and iron ore turned up this hit: [Blacksburg]"In the 1890s large amounts of iron ore were found in the area, and many people hoping to make a fortune from mining it flocked to the town. Blacksburg became a boom town, and hotels and saloons were built for the new visitors. The town went by the name "Iron City" for a short time. Because of the "iron rush" the town became quite wealthy. It installed the first electric street lights in Upstate South Carolina and perhaps in the entire state.[4][5] The city was incorporated in 1888 as "Blacksburg" but still holds the nickname of "Iron City".

Another: http://glendalesc.com/ironworks.html

I'll let you chase down the ones closest to you.

The fact YOU don't see a reason is a pretty convincing indicator you're too poorly educated to be making long term decisions about your education. Heck trying to interpret your semi literate text is an even better indicator.

I never raised an offspring through the know it all teen years and I can't sit at the comp very long without a sprained heel causing me REAL pain. Good luck to you I have more important things to do with my time than singing to a mule.

We once bout 400 pounds---the minimum order from one source. it was 100 mesh magnetite and was used in pollution control. As I recall the shipping cost more than the purchase price.

Have you asked a geology department where to find it closest to you?

Found a bunch of places searching on 100 mesh magnetite---including amazon.com; now as to prices....

Ok guys back on business. The Forge is nearing completion one or two more layers of dirt or mud should dot it. I got the truck bed mostly cleaned out still mud in the back and got to get it ready to go to Seneca this weekend when I go to pick up my brother, the coal if its in, to the welding store for the oxygen, to Lowe's for some 2 gauge cable I've been meaning to get and to harbor freight for a hose and some other stuff. When all of that is done I'm gonna start me a fire and finish the tongs if I can find something to use to hold on to them and once that's all good what jaws should I make because I'm gonna be using mostly bar stock and plate metal. with that out of the way if I finish them that will be the end of this thread and starting on another one or two, one for the setup on the shop and the other for power hammer plan but it should all go down good.

Now for the iron I believe that @ThomasPowers said that I need to find a geology Department well I looked it up and all I got was collage programs. I have heard that in north Carolina their is a whole mountain of it I don't know where exactly but that being said I need a lot of it to produce a good solid block of Bloom Steel for use in making swords, knives, etc.

Now back to other things I have to clean up the shop not butts about it its a mess I have been putting it off for a long time now and this weekend is the time to do it I got a chainsaw electric and corded and I'm gonna have to cut the old table from the wall and its gonna get burned. and I'm running very low on table space I'm latterly craving for table space. I got some 4x4 to use as well as some 2x4's. The wood in the floor has to go on the shelf where it belongs I have a hole to patch up with plywood the floor is dirt and cover with saw dust. at some point when the building is not a fire hazard I can  move the forge and everything in the shop but that's a long way from now. with that said when I get home I'm gonna upload some pics of the work I have been doing. So I can get some feedback and some on the shop the main problem is the lack of material storage and table space plus the dirt floor. well with that out of the way I'm gonna wrap this up

Don't worry about making bloomery steel -- you're years away from that at best. Get your skills solid on known stock before you try to make your own.

20 hours ago, ryancrowe92 said:

I'm getting rid of the IEP

What's the IEP for, if I may ask? My son's on his for ADD & ASD, and we've got a number of IFI members who are on the autism/Asperger's spectrum.

You know I really don't know my self one day during middle school they said something about getting me an IEP and something or another but I do have autism but I rarely get any effects from it because its just more of a label to me than to someone else. I get extra time on test and the Tutorial lab and other accommodations like small group testing etc. I do take medicine for ADHD and Seizures that was kind of new I haven had one in over 2 years but without the ADHD I'm more calm and less likely to do crazy things. my brothers the same way but he still does them

by the way I am kind of putting the bloom on hold I just wanted to know where to get the iron to make it.

2 minutes ago, ryancrowe92 said:

by the way I am kind of putting the bloom on hold I just wanted to know where to get the iron to make it.

Save the scale from your anvil. By the time you get around to smelting, you'll have a head start on your magnetite collection.

yeah my brother wants to start on the katana but wants to use the Damascus and I've been watching a lot of videos on how it was done but I've decided to order three different types of steels I need a Hard steel for the edge and the Tomohagane which was the bloom steel has been stacked like Damascus and forge welded but then inserted a more softer steel to get the cross sections.  but making the billet is one thing I do not understand if the sword is made entirely of bloom steel then how did the man at arms guys get the billet they used for stacking the tiles and how did they get the tiles straight. but I did learn why they put the bar of the shingane in the jacket from the tomohagane. for the hard edge and soft spine.

and I need a better anvil I got a 65lbs cast ion form harbor freight and with that it wasn't as bad as people claimed them to be though I have done little work on it. 

Awe me kill bill katana and Wikipedia

I'm learning new terms and the way they explain it are kind of sketchy and not very explanatory or detailed

with that I'm gonna break for lunch in 20 minutes

I will tell you the same thing I told most of my friends when they laughed at me being in college. Now that I have a good job, a house, a wife, good insurance etc. I am given the opportunity not only to not worry about money, but also have free time. I may not "do what I love" for a job, I don't know anyone who loves mechanical drafting. But I work a steady 40 hrs a week on the same schedule. I make enough money that my wife doesn't take all of it, she hands me back a bit to play with. With that money I've bought a nice blacksmithing kit, wood working tools, auto work tools and gadgets, and a wide range of stuff for my bees and garden. By not doing what I love for a job I've been given the opportunity to do what I love in my freetime. 

As compared to many of my friends who have not succeeded in life, have no spare money, have no house or area to play around with in their apartment they share with 5 other guys, etc. If you're lucky enough to do what you love for a living, I know we have plenty of professional smiths and people who love their jobs, that's awesome. Not trying to dog that existence. But you can still get more out of life even if it isn't in your 9-5. 

Well thing is I own my own home speaking of next September it will be completely paid off and  I have a couple of places that will be mine or my brother's 

And as long as I can keep the power and water I'm good plus I'll have my brother to help so that's good