I Forge Iron

Hand forged tongs from rebar

ryancrowe92

You may be a better writer than you let on; but if so what it tells us is that you don't care enough about us to take care.  Should we not care enough about you to help you?

Now you have had a lot dumped on you today; put it in the back brain and go hit some metal for a while while it seeps in...

Good luck with the truck!

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can't read or right, you can not educate your self or document and share what you learn. As to history and social studies, it's obvius no one paid attention in those classes...

learning to learn, learning to vet information and learning to think are the most valuable things school will teach you. Lititure, Philosiphy, Art, music and social science make you a beter citizen, and will improve your critical thinking and creative problem solving in science and engineering. 

if you think math is the foundation skill taught in school, you are saddly mistaken. A man who can read fluently, given an encyclopedia Britanica can teach himself basic math, algebra, geometry, trigomitry and calculus. As well as othe skills, but the greatest mathmatition in the world, who can not read, can not learn to diagnose a starter problem on his truck with a service manual. 

But, hey your a young guy, you got he world figured out, old peaple are stupid.   

i dont have the world figured out if i did id know more than i do know

and who said old people are stupid my grandpa on the blood side may be out of his mind but my other one is about as bright as one of them educated people

and its not that i have any disrespect for you because yall know more than i do about this

We're hoping you can profit from what we often learned the *hard* way.  After all you will be in charge of keeping civilization together when we are old and feeble...and there are so few ice floes in these parts....

I'm interested in the bloomery process of refining iron ore into wrought iron, AKA the direct process, unfortunately there are few books on the subject and most of the good research is in Academic Journals and Theses which tend to have a turgid prose all their own---the one I'm currently reading had the fun term Fructiferous in the foreword for example.  Math will help you through the calculations they show, (very interesting ones that changed the "common knowledge" of how this type of bloomery operated!); but without being able to garner the gist of their arguments, their contentions would be lost!

Anyway update time 

Truck: going to pick gas tank up today, finished draining the old one yesterday. Still have to get lines 

JAOBD: got wood cut up air compressor quit so I have to nail them by hand sometime in the weekend

School: my virtual Sç classes start tomorrow so I won't be able to post like I used to at this time I can post during lunch hour 1220-1250

I have not gotten around to finishing that little stump anvil, school is taking much more time than I thought it would, in case you were wondering.

Littleblacksmith 

• 2 weeks later...

yeah just got the power on last Wednesday made it  through the hurricane and I have lumber a tree fell in my yard so I should have two and some 8 foot 2 by's got to get them to the saw mill up at my dads and cut them. also more wood to use for charcoal. thank you hurricane. now on to what's up with my life the truck is getting a new gas tank and I fount a pair of vise grips, I'm gonna use them to fabricate a pair to make my drift pin for some of the things Trent shows how to make and I'm go to be busy remodeling my shop and that I will post in another  thread for another day. my power hammer is going to be made soon if I can find a way to cast iron 50 lbs. at a time into the anvil and machine a dye for it. and so when I get to that shop remodeling is gonna take some thought but with those 2 by's I can make something and the tree is really big. like I can get maybe 3 or 4 or even more 8 foot sections I don't know I haven't measured it yet. I fixed my oxy acetylene torch the other day got new fuel and oxygen valves for it. going to try to make my drift pin today.

Your results may very but when I made a punch from rebar it bent on me after the second punch and once it started bending it was hard to keep it straight. The next punch I made was from an old tire iron and I'm still using it to this day

Keeping things straight you want straight is a technique issue, an acquired skill. It's good to know when to stop and straighten things out too. Do it as soon as you notice and it's MUCH easier than if you wait till it won't do the job. A block of wood and a wooden mallet will straighten without effecting the cross section, texture, etc. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Keeping things straight you want straight is a technique issue, an acquired skill. It's good to know when to stop and straighten things out too. Do it as soon as you notice and it's MUCH easier than if you wait till it won't do the job. A block of wood and a wooden mallet will straighten without effecting the cross section, texture, etc. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Once it bent it just bent easier and easier each time.  And would deform the cutting face faster and faster

Once it bent it just bent easier and easier each time.  And would deform the cutting face faster and faster

Uh huh, what does that tell you about the steel and or your heat treatment?

Blacksmithing is a life of failure analysis, the technique is always the same. Do a thing observe the result, adjust if necessary. If you don't know why a thing is doing what it does then change ONE thing, test and note the results. 

Always listen to the: work, tools and equipment it's talking to you IF you understand what it's telling you fewer thing will be a surprise. To control a thing you must know and understand it. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Uh huh, what does that tell you about the steel and or your heat treatment?

Blacksmithing is a life of failure analysis, the technique is always the same. Do a thing observe the result, adjust if necessary. If you don't know why a thing is doing what it does then change ONE thing, test and note the results. 

Always listen to the: work, tools and equipment it's talking to you IF you understand what it's telling you fewer thing will be a surprise. To control a thing you must know and understand it. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Which is exactly why I cringe when some one talks of making a tool from rebar. You never know what your working with. I tossed the rebar punch and switched to a steel I knew that had worked well in the past and have never had the trouble again even with mild steel.  I do not do a heat treatment on hot punches or drifts

Which is exactly why I cringe when some one talks of making a tool from rebar. You never know what your working with. I tossed the rebar punch and switched to a steel I knew that had worked well in the past and have never had the trouble again even with mild steel.  I do not do a heat treatment on hot punches or drifts

Just using some tools is heat treating them. In general I only heat treat the struck end of hot tools. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm still working on them, taking me a while since I'm having to redo my forge and my shop right now, had to burn some brush yesterday that's how I worked on the pin. using the old forge but its not working and I got to get a new air source. and some coal I'm gonna call tsc and see if they can order it

plus I've been doing research on them and I've had school it wasn't like it was over the summer when I had all the free time in the world.