I Forge Iron

Hand forged tongs from rebar

ryancrowe92

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I have made progress the new forge is about 99.99% done just got to get another 1x4 to put on the bottom and I used nail to nail it with and done it for free now I have to do some welding on my pipe and get some oxygen for the torch and I'm having to move the setup also I got to the wood after finally getting a chainsaw that worked to the wood that fell during the hurricane. 

Oh yeah Ryan, I got your stuff, just got to ship it out. Dont know when that will be, but I have not forgotten!

Littleblacksmith 

• 2 weeks later...

thank you little blacksmith,

now to frosty and people who told me about coal for blacksmithing

the TSC people said  i have to buy it by the pallet cause they dont keep enough of it to sell and thats 250 for 40 bags at 40 pounds so thats 1600 lbs of coal i can use so is that a bad price because i thank thats a pretty fair deal

It’s a big investment for a fuel you haven’t tried yet. You might find that TSC anthracite isn’t for you, and then you’re stuck with 3/4 of a ton of coal. 

If you’ve got a lot of storm-downed wood, I’d suggest making charcoal and using that. 

Well seeing as the carboniferous period was late Paleolithic between 360 million and 300 million years ago and it probably took a couple hundred million years just to convert from swamp plants to coal I'm pretty sure it won't go bad very soon. If it gets dirty just wash it off, it'll be fine.

Think about this, you can sell bags for what, $15.00 ea. and make more than enough to cover what you use.

You're spending more time fretting about things that in the end don't really matter when just doing will show you what you need. 

Frosty The Lucky.

good cause im thinking about buying it, also i got dirt truck load. and more timber for logs im cutting up. i got to level up my forge and get a new air source plus i seen some flat jaw locking pliers im gonna get and some oxygen and hoses for torch

Hey what's up guys been sick awhile so I'm gonna be making some progress today on the forge I got the dirt and the coal is on it's way but I have to cut the pipe off the old forge and weld it back together neatly and cleanly using the grinder I got parts for the torch hoses but I'm still out of oxygen I get that when I pick up the coal and I'm worried about school cause I'm tired of some of the things that go on the teachers side so I may be getting a ged and going to work sooner and that's a good thing so I'll have more money than 75 a week but I don't know things are real blurred for me right now so I'm gonna pull through on this one way or another. Does anyone have a way to hold the rebar without it burning my gloves and my hands I have nothing I can make something if I have to. my brother is coming up next weekend so that will be a fun time forging stuff I've got to level the forge when I get home. 

I'd highly recommend staying in school and not dropping out. I have a GED myself and it has slowed me down a little bit. People see that you have a GED and assume you're stupid which isn't the case with me. I dropped out of school because I had to go to work to help pay the bills at home. I got my GED and scored higher than an average high school graduate would because I studied and retained enough while I was in school and I'm always learning and studying what I can to this day. 

24 minutes ago, Michael Cochran said:

I have a GED myself and it has slowed me down a little bit. People see that you have a GED and assume you're stupid which isn't the case with me. 

How was applying for a job did they treat you any different than a highschool diploma 

43 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Weld a handle on the rebar?  Use a couple of hose clamps to hold a handle on the rebar? Vice Grips? (not suggested as overheating will detemper the spring)

The vise grips are like channel locks and I'm holding the other end of the bar with my gloves hand and I had to pour water on it to cool it Dow to where I could handle it 

5 minutes ago, ryancrowe92 said:

I had to pour water on it to cool it Dow to where I could handle it 

Be careful with that. The steel content of rebar is pretty inconsistent; you may get a spot that's high enough in carbon content to harden, and that can crack on you. I had this happen to me a couple of months ago when I was making an Andy hammer.

I poured the water on my glove to get it wet just to hold it

and I know about the inconsistency of the rebar and that is kind of why I decided to use it because it was lying around.

what kind of jaws would be good for steel plate?

and when I get home I'm gonna take a pic of the place I'm gonna set up and show the new forge that's still WIP.

Weekend agenda is to

1. go cutoff that pipe

2. level up the forge

3. concentrate on the new area

4. put the dirt in the forge

5. get a new air source* on hold  

6.find a place for the anvil

7. finish sawing logs up

8. wait for TSC to call me

9.Relax and have a good weekend cause I'm gonna need it.

10. weld that pipe

11. do maintenance on torch

12  as you can see I have a busy weekend

Sup guys hope you had a good weekend. Well mine was kinda bad it rained and the dirt and stuff got wet but never fear I got the forge leveled and dirt in it. When I get home I have to finish getting dirt in it. I got the pipe welded though now I'm just waiting for TSC to call me and my brother is coming over this weekend

I've been using the rice coal for a while, and just switched back to see how well it does in my current forge. You'll find what works best for you, but be aware that both varieties contain some amount of fines (i.e., tiny little coal fragments and dust) than can blow out of your forge and get all over everything if your blast is too high.