I Forge Iron

Hand forged tongs from rebar

ryancrowe92

36 minutes ago, ryancrowe92 said:

I found out where to get the metal at for making stuff and welding at tsc but they don't have an assortment of steel like o1 or 1045.

The steel at TSC is, I believe, ASTM specification A569 (a low-alloy carbon steel with no more than 0.15% carbon) or A-36 (structural steel). If memory serves, they charge about $2/pound. Good for a lot of basic jobs, but a bit pricey.

See if you have any steel suppliers, fabricators, or spring shops in your area that will sell you "drops" (offcuts from larger jobs) for cheap. (There's a steel place a few blocks from where I drop my son off for school that sells me their drops for about 75¢/pound.) Any kind of new knifemaking or tool steel (other than drops of 5160 or the like from a spring shop) is probably something you'll have to get through the mail.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Folks here have recommended finding a place that does lift kit installations on Jeeps and such and seeing if they are willing to part with the (usually new!) stock springs. I haven't done this myself, but my mechanic has been generous with his scrap metal bin, especially after I made him a cool bottle opener out of a steering wheel column.

Tractor supply is an expensive sorce if steel. I would also say that a break rotor fire pot isn't a move forward, you still haven't learns what makes a forge work. You will still have problems using a heat gun as it is not designed to have to heat contained in a tuyere pipe, it will still get hit and melt the plastic.  I would much prefer you go forth and make new and in intrigue mistakes than repeat the same ones others have made. 

I wonder if he even reads the tips or advice anymore. Just skips over all the reply's and uses this thread like a tweet  or journal .  

Ryan you say blacksmithing is life but yet with all the great advice you've gotten on this thread it seems like you have ignored pretty much all of it.      

I'm sorry to agree with you Jasent. Early off we told him how to fix his original forge and he ignored advice then complains that he burned up another blower device. Now he's making a New forge. Curious to see if he follows any advice. Doubt it tho I hope the best for him. I feel wrong watching this thread like a train wreck but I can't help it and I just shake my head but also hope he Gets it In the worst way. I know some people are different from others on understanding things but this has seemed like blatant neglect of facts. I wish the best for him. 

I do too. It's like yelling at the tv at someone in a horror movie that the killer is behind them but they just don't hear you.  I have actually deleted long replies figuring he just doesn't care but then I think maybe he does care but I just don't know. He only replies to minute portions of people's informative replies and it's usually the part that has no bearing on the help he needed to his last (forging) problem. 

Case in point, his forge he posted pictures of.  We told him he needed a T pipe but no response to that other then he ran out of pipe even tho we mention he could shorten the existing one to add the T. Then about 10 post pages later he mentions melting another (wrong type of ) blower( that he was told was wrong) and about buying another. Now he wants to try to modify the blower when that isn't quite the main problem, it's the setup. I thought about replying about what kind of rotor would work well if he wants to go that rout but should I? I just don't know. At least Thomas gave him a better place to look for one that won't cost him nearly as much, if anything. ( if he listens) 

Ryan, if you can hear us, let us know. If you understand do more then nod. Some of us are losing hope. Help us help you. 

Ok hold up.  

1. This is not a personal blog though it may seem that way like I said I have school and wait for income.

2. I do look at your avice and i carefully look at it though I may not listen to all of it I do listen to most of if.

3. sometimes I might be able to respond in a minute some times not for a couple of days.

And thought I may come off as a xxxxx or something like that it's just that I've never really been good at Internet forum boards people on there are way different than people down here. 

Now the reason I decided to makeanother forge is because I can get the rotors cheap and i can make 2 of them one for my brother. 

Now for the personal stuff. We just watched a video in anatomy about prefrontal and transorbital lobotomy. I also have to go to Greenville to meet with my neurologist about something that isn't a lobotomy. I also am going to Seneca and pickup my coal. 

Now if i have any money left over after that because I have to borrow $50 from my grandma to get it until payday. I'm going to the junkyard to see if he has an old rotor or two.

Now get this my brother is coming over next week on Thursday we get out Tuesday and staying four days. I also have to get some stuff like pipe and tee and a flange and I have a old lawnmower I can use the deck. Fun with my brother.

My bedframe broke last night so I had to sleep on the floor so I have welding to do when I get home today.

This is getting very long and my phone is low. So I'm looking at what y'all are telling me and what I can see that needs to be done. 

So have a good day 

It seems like you're on a strict budget, usually with 20$ or so to put into the hobby at a time. And it seems like you not listening on multiple occasions has cost you extra money in pipes, blowers, etc. 

My suggestion: post your exact budget, post exactly what you have currently, then wait for people to tell you exactly what to do to get up and running. then follow it exactly. Otherwise you're destined to keep wasting money on bad forge designs or bad blowers. for instance, most secondhand stores sell blow dryers for like 2-3$, and you spent 20$ on a heat gun that won't work for your forge. Now you're talking about modifying it, which could ruin it. 

we're on page 13 and you don't have a forge yet. that may be why people are calling this a blog. 

Actually I get $73 a week now I have to spend that on gas and whatever else I need  so I'm usually saving for weeks at a time until I have money for something. And I spent $8 on a heat gun

To be clear I had a forge but I know this one will work.

Im short on money because of this coal 

So I'm gonna power down now and see you guy later many Thursday

We fully understand that all of our scedules vary widely and we don't look for an immediate response, just a meaningful one. 

We understand that we are all different and not everyone has the best communication skills. ( including me) That is fine. Just do your best. We want you to succeed. 

You mentioned that money is tight, and we have given you ways to spend less. You say you have a welder so you could easily convert the inlet pipe on your old forge into a T pipe so you don't ruin your blower and can make the forge more efficient. (could be done without a welder as well) 

If you want to build two new forges that's fine, you can. We aren't here to tell you what to do, you are here for help and info and we are trying to give suggestions to help you with Your situation with the info you provide. 

As far as the brake rotors, yes they can work. I've been using mine for years now and it works great for me. But they are many shapes and sizes so some will work fine and others may work poorly. The one I prefer to use is from a rear disc brake. The inner opening diameter is 8" and its 2" deep. I have one that's 3" deep as well for working heavier stock but don't really need it as I can pile more fuel on the main one if I need. You don't want a real thick outer ring ( part the brakes pinch) it will just get in the way of dragging coal into the pot. You can use bricks to help shape the fire as well if needed. 

You can ask around at mechanic shops as they probably have a pile of them to choose from. Go in person, be polite, and explain what you want it for and they might just Give them to you. ( don't forget some coil/leaf spring if you can get it. ) the salvage yard will probably want cash for whatever you haul out. 

A lawnmower deck can work as a forge table if it's a decent shape/ size. 

As far as T pipe, I use 2" black steel pipe fittings but I wasn't as limited on cash. You could easily use other pipe. Again, probably have some usable old exhaust pipe for the taking at an auto mechanic shop. 

Even easier and pretty much free would be JABOD side blast forge. It's all here on this site.

I have been there with spending more money doing it the wrong way rather then just buying the right thing the first time. Listen to the people here trying to help. 

My question is, Do You have any questions? What is your plan? 

Ok, so let's revisit forges, "every one" that is every one who clamps to know everything starts out with a break drum forge. And tho a break rotor in the bottom of an oil pan makes a beter set up, one still needs to scrounge up or buy $50 in pipe and fittings. I recomend seriusly looking at a side blast insted, even new a tuyer of 3/4" schedual 40 is cheaper. It's easer to build and works as well with soft coal, hard coal or charcoal. For soft coal and charcoal a $10 bed pump works just fine (no electricity or extra bits to adapt a blower) just fine. 

So what do you have that can be made into a forge cheap? We need somthing to hold the fire that won't burn, or we need somthing that we can protect a box that will. So an old dresser drawer filled with dirt will work, so will an old sink, old wash tub, old oil drum, box made from palet wood, even a hole dug in the yard. 

For air either the below pictured bed inflator or a cheep hair dryer (way to much air for anything so you have to figure out how to throttle it back.

so let's see what you have built as a forge, that way we can help you figure out what's wrong with it.   

IMG_0211.JPG

ok what is wrong with it is that it is hard to get coals out i dont have a proper pipe having to use anvil to keep pipe up but thats not working so as trent said a vertical blast is superior to a side shaft and it dosent blow coals everywhere  im looking online and amazon has he cheapest prices around. Purgatory ironworks forges part 5