I Forge Iron

Hand forged tongs from rebar

ryancrowe92

i love your typos sometimes. :) " movies and a surgery"

You are brilliant Charles. If I had known what I know now when I was at his age ( at least had this great info from you guys on IFI ) I'd have Many more years experience forging. And I would have started with a JABOD forge. 

With knowledge you are never limited. 

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get US$25 a week to spend on all my vices---including Vises!  (about 20 years ago I only got $15 a week).  Yup, me a grown man and the breadwinner getting an allowance.  Been great!  It's a lot of fun figuring out how to do things within your budget and by sticking to it we've always had money in savings in case an unbeatable deal came knocking at the door.  We've also paid off our house; don't have a car payment and live comfortably...so when you say run out and spend $50 that's half a month's allowance to me!

now hopefully things don't go all bad today. I have a project I'm working on in the shed but other than that I have to go to ace, and this is not me just blotting down what I have to do more or less what I'm doing. I also need to check on those brake rotors I call in about. at about 3:10 I'm going to leave 

On 11/16/2017 at 2:55 PM, ThomasPowers said:

I get US$25 a week to spend on all my vices--Yup, me a grown man and the breadwinner getting an allowance.

if you knew me personally I'm really bad with money. not all bad but bad enough my wallets on a chain

@Charles R. Stevens ya wanna know whats in walking distance ok go to google maps type in east stamp creek rd. and my house is on the hill and on the gravel road.

Pats cash and Carry and the garbage dump is about the only places within walking distance from my house and it horrible on you feet the terrain and the big semi trucks that come down the highway. and Dawns hair salon that's within walking distance and a landing if you really want a long trip to go.

salem south Carolina 29676

well I'm gonna have to split and make myself scarce

in 4 minutes

see ya later 

Das; how are you going to get good with out practicing?  Make that one into something---you can always replace it later!

Ryan; if I recall your life plans you had BETTER learn to be good with money NOW!  How much are you putting in savings from every paycheck?

Funny but my wife has coached a lot of our college friends on how to make and keep to a budget when they have gotten into difficulties.  Most of our marriage she has not been employed; but she can sure hold household!

Me; I've got a couple hundred in allowance built up...but the fleamarket is Saturday and the scrapyard is the following Saturday!

I grew up in the desert and was an Infantry soldier, so honestly 1 mile is close, 5 is a stroll and 10 is a long walk. 

Dump and big trucks on the highway has huge potential

I stop and pick up mudflap small the time, the spring stock that they are mounted to makes good tools. Not to mention other things that fall off, like 1" thick 12" pipe flange block of plates...

and all kinds of stuff ends up in the dump!

On November 14, 2017 at 12:24 PM, ryancrowe92 said:

yeah in my last forge design it worked extremely well.

if it had a tee in it

image.jpg.1606343861290e796ed322590ce9be03.jpg

then there is this. 

So instead of a little cutting and welding, you want to spend $50. On fittings, whatever on rotors, and then money in gas driving all over to get it? 

Ugh. I just don't know. 

Country folks soon learn that it's the gas and time costs of getting to town that are the real costs to many items.  Why I like to buy an extra when buying things so if I lose one I don't have to make another trip---and after a while I have enough stuff on hand to do entire projects with no trip to the store(s).

OTOH young folks often like the trip to town over the purchase.  When gas got terribly expensive I was worrying about all the kids stuck out in the boonies.

Yeah, when I was younger I was always wanting to get out and drive places. Not so much anymore. The less trips the better. After the drive to work and working then the drive home, the last thing I want to do is get back in the vehicle and go anywhere for this or that. I have found the value in salvaged fasteners and odds and ends. People call it junk until I save them money and a trip out to get a single bolt or whatnot. 

Greetings.

At my home and shops I have a ton of nuts bolts metal and resources. The closest hardware is 30 miles away and over the years many local friends have stopped by to tap my inventory. Instead of just giving them what they need or charging a few bucks I developed a slick system. They must return the item to my stock but not just one but 2 . If they forget we’ll you guessed it.. No next time.  This way they still have to purchase the item. 

I forgot to add the part about the charcoal falling back thru the pipe and it was a little unstable and I ran out of wire when I was welding it to the barrel lid so I had to use the gas and I finished it up.

but good news I have a new brake rotor that is massive. 6 bucks 

On 11/16/2017 at 3:28 PM, Charles R. Stevens said:

I stop and pick up mudflap small the time, the spring stock that they are mounted to makes good tools.

really you find this on the side of the highway

41 minutes ago, ryancrowe92 said:

I grew up in the desert and was an Infantry soldier, so honestly 1 mile is close, 5 is a stroll and 10 is a long walk. 

Bet you miss those days on occasion don't you? When I was younger I had a job that was 15 miles from my house (about as close as you could find employment since the few closer places never had anyone quit). I had a vehicle when I first started there but had a wreck and totaled it one day leaving me on foot. I started riding a bicycle to work five or six days a week. I rode the 15 miles to work then I worked for 8 hours then rode back home. The last two miles were mostly up hill which was rough at first. I hear complaints about not being able to go and after I tell that little story people usually quit complaining. 

That is slick, Jim

got my license suspended after I got out, proptly got stopped for speeding on my way to my girlfriends house in my 10 speed, Mike. 

Yes Ryan, you find things like that on the side of the road (plus aluminum cans and in some places deposit bottles) look around and just count the number of flat bed trucks you see. Guys just throw stuff up the bed and some of that stuff falls off. Some times it's chains, bolts, tools, pipe ect.