I Forge Iron

Don't forge in flip-flops

WNC Goater

Mr. Russell,

Very interesting specimen of Australian Ingenuity. But I think that they are a little incomplete.

May I suggest that these innovative footwear be used, in combination,n with steel reinforced asbestos spats. 

Just my two cents.

SLAG.

13 hours ago, Dale Russell said:

Das , even if they where wearing a pair of these ?

Lol Dale, only if it's you. Too many sharp pointy things, hammers, scale, grindings, weld nuggets and did I mention sharp pointy things? It's not always just the toes in harms way. 

Last time I welded in tennis shoes I had to get new ones after. I'm not a stickler on steel toed boots but I do always wear good leather boots. Still have all my toes tho there have been a number of times I moved my foot really quickly out of the path of a heavy falling object. 

You bunch of old softies, I've seen smiths in the middle and far east forge wearing flip flops (of some sort and a loincloth and a tatty t-shirt whilst doing a sterling job of it to boot! :D of course I'm  a bit of a super softie when it comes to protecting my bits !

Seeing as since most of my students are youth. They arrive in flip flops and polyester shorts way too often. My solution to that is as follows. They and their parents are stopped at the entryway, where they get the safety lecture, and are reminded about the email they receive prior to taking the class. If the adult does not then get them proper clothing. The children are wrapped up in a heavyweight canvas skirt going down to the floor for leg protection and are given over shoes made out of 4x36 sandpaper, which is then secured around feet/ankles. They normally do not repeat it. Oh yeah they are also required to wear the aprons and such over the skirt, for the little bit of added protection it gives. Note those students work on small things, so any burns they may get are on the lesser side.

I just re-thought of something. All these video's of people dis-regarding PPE (ok video games also), is leading the youth and their parents into a blase attitude towards common sense in regards to risk while forging. Seeing some adult "expert" forging in shorts and flipflops, grinding with no goggles, welding in tank tops without a helmet, is leading the youth and other newer peoples down a risky path.

If you are going to do a video to show people how to do something, then take responsibility for your actions and do it properly.

14 hours ago, ausfire said:

Hmmm. Thongs. Different meaning, depending where you come from.

if you start to wear the "penny black" and three shoe-laces on your feet in this part of the world you re going to get some real funny looks :D and around here odd looking kit is considered traditional/ cultural/cool etc.

yes well but sadly much poorer :rolleyes: we would like to call the govt. a circus but that's wrong, in the circus the ring master runs the show not the clowns1.

WITH OUR CURENCY GOING INTO A TAIL SPIN THE COST OF DATA HAS BECOME A JOKE SO I TEND TO STAY OFF THE WEB YET IFI AND MY FRIENDS AND AQUAITENCES THEREON IS SOMEWHAT ADICTIVE !

THANKS FOR ASKING THOUGH.

REGARDS iAN

It's good to see your pic when I open IFI Ian, we don't see enough of you. 

I wish the guys running the gvt were just clowns but I can't trust them as much as I would clowns. 

We all know the old adage, "Those who can, do. Those who can't do, teach." You don't see the third line very often. "Those who can't teach administrate."  It seems to be human nature to put the people with no practical knowledge or skills in charge. Who's fault is that? 

Frosty The Lucky.