I Forge Iron

North German Double Horn Anvil

Ask yourself where you can find another one of that size, that condition, and that price.

If the anvil will pay for itself in a reasonable amount of time, then the questions are a mute point. Opportunity is there and waiting. Cash in those quarters (from another thread) and make up the difference somehow.

2 hours ago, Black Frog said:

If you're not going to buy it, I'd love to know where it is....

here's one on eBay right now ( link removed ) at 686 lbs. with a buy it now of $6100.00 or make offer.. so at 2K the other one is a deal and looks to be in better condition  !!

s-l1600[1] (7).jpg

s-l1600[3] (2).jpg

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

One ton cherry picker would have that up in a jiffy! (and I'd have room to have a ball in my wallet after paying for that one!)

Uhhh, If you have a ball in your wallet I suggest you carry it in a different pocket!

I wonder how delighted Deb would be to come home from work or the K9 Nose Work seminar she's running this weekend to discover I'd gotten that good a deal on a beauty like that? Oh yeah, my engine hoist would have that puppy in my pickup in competitively jiffy swiftness.

Think about moving that wallet will ya Thomas?

Frosty The Lucky.

You sure know how to get the guys drooling.  Let us know how to contact the seller and it will be gone.  My primary anvil is 500# and I am very happy with it but I would jump on that in a hart beat and drive to Michigan  to pick it up and visit with friends along the way.  Watch for me Jim Coke, Black Frog, Ron Bishop, Walt Badgero and others. 

Wayne

58 minutes ago, JT said:

here's one on eBay right now link removed at 686 lbs. with a buy it now of $6100.00 or make offer.. so at 2K the other one is a deal and looks to be in better condition  !!

I think that guy is down in Austin, I see his adds on craigslist all the time with the German anvils, real beauties. I hear he has his girlfriend ship them here from over there, and that is why the price is so high, but still, I think it is a lot. And, People who are selling there anvils on craigslist see his adds, and thinks there's are worth that or more.

Littleblacksmith

Glenn and I just talked a while on the phone and he was telling a story inspired by this anvil. It was about a really nice looking anvil that was dead as a fish to quote Glenn. That has me thinking I'd REALLY want to see this in person before laying any money down. You know drop a ball bearing on it a few times. You just never know this beauty could've been through a fire and it's face's temper drawn completely.

Frosty The Lucky.

something very strange is going on with this anvil !! I talked to the seller and was ready to buy it.. he was very nice about everything and said its a good deal and priced it to sell !! .. I then asked about its rebound and got a lot of beating around the bush !! from.. its probably alright ... I'm selling it just the way I bought it... I won't confirm either way if its good or not !! ..then told me he wouldn't even confirm that it was indeed 685lbs ... that is just what the guy he bought it from told him.. and he has no way of weighing it...  and if you send me the money the anvil is yours !!

I asked about the anvil on top and he was quick to tell me it is a 40lb. Hay Budden !!

I asked if he was a anvil collector?? and he said yes.. he has been collecting anvils for years and has many.. but... he has no way to check the rebound on this one ??? I asked if he could bounce a ball peen hammer on it and some of his other anvils and see if they are the same ??  then he sent me a email saying he didn't think I would be happy with the anvil and wasn't going to sell it now.. ????

I believe there is something wrong and he knows it... but in his words "I won't confirm either way"..

Hmmmm, something like, "Mail me the money and you can check it all you want once the shipper delivers it?" You see folk whining all the time on court TV about a car they took to a mechanic AFTER they payed for it.

It's not fraud unless there's an expressed warrantee. Otherwise it's an as is sale.

Frosty The Lucky.

I went as far as telling him I would have a blacksmith in his area come over and check it out for me and if it is ok I will buy it ....... cricket ..cricket ...  silence .....