I Forge Iron

Mute the ringing

Some anvils I literally tie diwn quite tight. Sound of Silence. Others I use hand forged spikes to "set the anvil inplace" then employ the chain. A few wraps is plenty.

I have only used a rubber mounting  pad on one anvil, and it is tied  down via steel (banding) straps .

I have a 1/2" dia tuning fork in one anvil, held in pritchel hole.

Most of them also have a large magnet under heel.

Never tried silicone.

13 minutes ago, Scrambler82 said:

On my PW - 162, I am using what came with it, two pieces of heavy walled Right Angle Steel, both the width of the Anvil and one on each end... under the heel and under the horn; without the angled steel it rings a lot, with them it is a quiet !

When I picked it up I tried the Ball Peen Hammer Test, it didn't ring at all, just a dull thud, I got worried and asked for a wrench to release her from her bonds...  bing bam it rings !

So what I am saying is, if you don't want the lump of chain around the neck of the Anvil, which I do not want, try different clamping methods, maybe some of the Silicone under the Anvil too.

Silence is not always Golden !

Can you post a pic of that?

This is my anvil stand. It's 1/4" x 2" x 3" angle fitted to the anvil's foot. The hammer rack is 3/16 x 1" angle and drives between the anvil and the rack to wedge it together, there is a matching tong rack for the other side. This stand is stable reasonably light and easy to move solid as a rock and quiets my anvil to bearable levels even when struck on the horn or heal. The Trenton has one just like it now.

Frosty The Lucky.

590568898d42f_Anvilstandhammerrack0s.thumb.jpg.f47eda112fad0976ecc77d9e5831e169.jpg

When I went from a wooden stand to a metal tripod, I was shocked at the difference it made. Adding silicone just amplified (ha, ha) the damping effect. 

The metal stand is also a lot heavier than the wood, which dramatically increases the anvil's stability. 

IMG_20160323_112120289.jpg

7 minutes ago, The Alchemist said:

It makes sense. Hold a bell by a wooden handle, it rings. Put the bell against the ground and it mutes. I get it now. The metal transfers the vibration to the ground. 

It is not a transfer of vibration, but lack of, or killing, the vibration. Hold the bell by the handle and it rings. Hold the sides of the bell and no ring.

Think of the anvil as a tuning fork. Increase the vibration and you increase the sound. Reduce the vibration and you reduce the sound. 

Reading about Eagle Anvil Works throws in a huge monkey  wrench into conversation. Concerning ringing anvils. Their adds clearly state a solid wrought anvil will not ring and if you believe it, you were fooled. Something to that effect. Their anvil is cast gun iron alloy (steel) and don't  ring.

What Glenn said about tuing forks is important. The bottom half of the fork is the feet. To stop the ringing it is important that the feet i.e. the end of the feet have good contact with the stand. I use very slightly dished tree stumps as stands and my anvils are silent. The big one (250 lsb) does not need it but the small one (80 lsb) needed to be clamped down as well. Four 6" nails did the job. If you wedge a piece of wood between the underside of the heel and the stand (London pattern) It becomes muted 100%. That works like  holding the rim of the bell.

To get the anvil quiet, try one method at a time, usually the least complicated and least expensive method first. For me, magnets did not work well. Rubber industrial belting under the anvil, or light weight chain around the waist did much better.

anvil chain 1.jpg

That was 2 wraps of 1000 pound chain, or one side of a pair of snow chains for a car. 

anvil sand 1.jpg

Three inches of sand was the clear choice for deadening the ring.

I haven't read all the responses above but I recently acquired a 103# Columbian which is all cast steel. It rings like a church bell.  I mean ear piercing. I made an anvil stand of 6, heavy 4x6 posts bolted togeter and routed a center 1 1/2" depressed recess.  I fill the recess with around 1/2" of sand.  The anvil is seated in the sand. This greatly reduces the ring,(also reduces any bounce or movement whatsoever) though doesn't eliminate the ring altogether.  Putting a magnet under the heel and OMGoodness, absolutely no ring at all, just a thud.