Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jason0012

old style 250 pound little giant

16 posts in this topic

In the not too distant future I should be getting a 250 pound little giant- a really old one (1917). It is the old style with wrap around guides. I have no experience with the old ones like this, and have a few questions for any of you who have worked on them. Are the link arms toggled into the ram like they are on the smaller hammers, or do they pin in like the later ones? How big of a die can I squeeze through those guides? How much of a pain is it not having the vertical adjustment that later hammers have? If I dont get any response I guess I will find out soon enough...

The design is the same. It sounds like you are going to have your hands full. You should probably call Sid.

I am waiting to call Sid until I have the thing in front of me. I got to look it over about a year ago and it is all there, but at the time it was going to someone else so I didnt spend too much time on it. Given its age , I am sure it will need some work.

Please post pics. I never see old style 250's or 500's.

here it is. I have worked on a few newer 250s and 2 - 500# but this style I have only seen in photos. I did own a 25  old style years ago and assume they are similar. I will likely need a few parts from Sid, and hopefully will not need to rebabbitt bearings of this size.....

250 little giant.jpg

That behemoth is going to set off all the seismographs in the Eastern USA!!!  Wow, that's huge.

Behemoth? Why its just a little peanut. I wish I had pictures of the 6000# Erie I got to play with in Tulsa.

Got it paid off Thursday! Now to find a place to put it...

9 hours ago, jason0012 said:

Now to find a place to put it...

I'm sure I could find room in my garage....

Is that a wrap around guide, or a guard with dovetail guides behind?

It is a wrap around guide like the smaller hammers -only different. I have found very little information on it. Sid responded to my questions today and he says they had trouble with adjustments on this model. I have seen several in folks shop photos, but nobody seems to want to comment on using one????

Once I get it I will document as much as I can

I don't think I've ever seen one like that, the guide almost looks shop built. I haven't seen the one piece frame either.

It is a 1918. I think it was the second year for the 250? The guide is similar to the smaller hammers, but rather than holding a front/back V, it catches the corners of a somewhat square ram.

I'm having picture withdrawal. Can you show us that lil guy again?