I Forge Iron

Christmas Tree Ornaments

Mark Ling

Here is an idea for next year if any of ya'll need quick Christmas presents. I made the smaller Christmas tree out of 1/2"x1/4" flat, and the larger one I made from 1/2 square. 

For the smaller one I forged a point, and depending on how long/skinny of a tree you want will effect the size of your taper. After that I beveled the edges leaving the center higher. Then I took a chisel and did some deep chisel lines. For the finer branches I took a top hot cut and lightly used it like a hammer to texture it. I found out that if you want a good lookin tree that you got to have the right transition from the tree to the stump. If it is too gradual it doesn't look right, even if you use a spring fuller or spring tenoning tool because of the suck down. How I did it was I marked where I wanted to cut it deeply with a chisel and then took a hacksaw and cut it out. Since you first put the chisel lines in the hacksaw will tend to follow the path of least resistance; the chisel marks.

For the large one I forged a point a 1/2" square bar and then flattened it on the diagonals for more steel. Then I took a fuller and put in the branches. for the stump you do the same thing as the other one. I did put a little hook on the end, which Is for a ribbon or whatever your desired way of hanging is.

Littleblacksmith

IMG_5451[1].JPG

IMG_5452[1].JPG

Thanks everybody, I didn't think they would be such a hit!

Since ya'll liked them so much, I decided to experiment and I made a leaf with the same texture used on one of the ornaments (the middle one). Any thoughts?

Littleblacksmith

IMG_5545[1].JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Nice idea, I bet they'd sell well too.

In the UK there's a comedy TV show called QI (Quite Interesting) that's all about every day "general ignorance". I remember an episode a while ago when the presenter got the 4 panelists to draw christmas trees and only one drew the branches going the right way - they slant upwards, not downwards.

I wonder if you slanted the texture upwards if they'd look odd? I certainly saw them as christmas trees. I think it's one of those things where even if it's technically inaccurate you know what it is & you either don't see that there's some a miss, or you suspend your disbelief.

The wench & me made our christmas tree this year to fit in a tight corner of our small flat.

IMG_20161207_194853.jpg

Nice ornaments LB well done. Not to be a semantic pedant but a tree doesn't have a "stump", a stump is what's left in the ground after a tree is cut down. The term is "trunk". A trunk goes all the way up and has branches coming out. Sorry about that but I couldn't help it.

That's a pretty cool twist on a Christmas tree Joel, I'll bet it decorates well, especially lights.

From now on though how about only including pics of the Wench? She's the good kind of distraction. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

5 hours ago, Frosty said:

Nice ornaments LB well done. Not to be a semantic pedant but a tree doesn't have a "stump", a stump is what's left in the ground after a tree is cut down. The term is "trunk". A trunk goes all the way up and has branches coming out. Sorry about that but I couldn't help it.

I guess you do know a lot about trees first hand.:) You are right, don't know why I said stump, feel kinda dumb.lol. Thanks for correcting me.

3 hours ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

I definitely like the top one best. What is the overall size when they are done?

Ended up about 2 3/4" to about 3" long. Obviously you could make it longer or shorter depending on what size taper you do.\

Littleblacksmith

8 hours ago, Frosty said:

Not to be a semantic pedant but a tree doesn't have a "stump", a stump is what's left in the ground after a tree is cut down. The term is "trunk". A trunk goes all the way up and has branches coming out.

And when the tree is cut down and the branches cut off, it becomes a "log".

8 hours ago, Frosty said:

From now on though how about only including pics of the Wench? She's the good kind of distraction. :)

Blacksmiths do like 'em hot....