I Forge Iron

Toy Box

01tundra

Started building my son a toy box on Saturday.

First time forging non-pintle style strap hinges (not really sure what the technical name would be).  To my surprise they work, and actually work well.

Still have some more detail work to do, but I'm making progress on it.

strap hinges1.jpg

TB Hardware1.jpg

Toy Box.jpg

Greetings 01, 

I think it's great that you built a life long treasure for your son. Boys will be boys so I will make a suggestion.. The lift handle screwed in the thin part of the top will work like a lever and is subject to shearing off and splitting the wood. Just an old boys observation . Keep up the great work.. 

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

Very cool, that'll get handed down for a couple generations I'll bet. I have to agree with Jim, the lift handle is a weak point and would look well with a little punched, sawn, etc. reinforcing steel on the top. I'm envisioning something like a swallow tail laid on the lid but wrapped around the edge with the handle. The other thing I noticed is the hinges are attached to the cladding boards rather than the stiffeners right next to them. I'd slip the outside stiffeners out to act as backers for the hinges.

I really like the chest and would love to be around to see how the generations decorate it, just keep the wood burning kit locked up when an adult you trust isn't supervising.

Great family memory chest you built there. Well done!

Frosty The Lucky.

Agree with the handle concerns, it was the first thing that crossed my mind.

Was going to originally thru-bolt it from the top until my wife added in the "can it also be a bench" request, that's what made me relocate it to the front edge.  The top isn't very heavy so I figured I'd let it ride until something happens. 

I could always forge a front facing handle that's mounting plate wraps over the top and thru-bolts.  As long as it's relatively low profile it wouldn't impede the bench functionality. 

With the hinges, I plan to make backing plates and thru-bolt the hinges if they ever become an issue.

I was giving short notice on this project and it had to be completed prior to Thanksgiving, so I took some liberties and have plan "B' in mind just in case.

• 2 weeks later...