I Forge Iron

one-piece hawk

hello, here's a hawk made by the specs given by the customer. he provided dimensions (aprox.) and a sketch. but it took me some inspiration and thinking to come up with the final design. in fact, the design developed step by step as I was working on the hawk. I started from a rectangular piece of approximately 20/8/1.2cm leaf spring steel. it was a lot of work, as usual much more than I imagined.

hw1_zpsd4oym0ra.jpg

hw2_zpsxd1ci8jh.jpg

hw3_zpsndcsg0mx.jpg

hw4_zpse8j4aoj3.jpg

hw5_zpscaiwqxcg.jpg

hw7_zpsd1kdfmlp.jpg

hw11_zpsrga3nahv.jpg

hw10_zpsvcomzne0.jpg

To get the handle, did you split the spring lengthwise at the spike,and then bend it down 90° ?

I really like the overall design of this, although I may have done more of a hammer head instead of a spike for camp use.

Your customer should be very happy with this.

I'm glad that you guys love it.

first, the specs were given by the client. he wanted a spike and that kind of pry-bar end of the handle. when I was testing it I felt nervous not about that pry-bar/chisel end, but by the spike. it was travelling to close to my face for my taste. me, too, I'd prefer a hammer end instead of a spike.

yes, the handle is burlap "micarta", and the black patina is from the forge. I did 99% of the shaping before HT, so just the bevels were finished after.

unfortunately I started to take pictures during the forging after the first and most important steps were already made, but here are some other pics:

hawk3_zpsgdu6jd3a.jpg

hawk4_zpsrmgsik7d.jpg

hawk8_zpsyoirrhth.jpg

hawk6_zpsa9dyvvxw.jpg

hawk7_zpsobyo6evh.jpg

hawk9_zpsjowkw0jb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...