I Forge Iron

Lost friends / pets Tribute.

Daswulf

Lost a friend last night. frosty  (no not our beloved curmudgeon ) my cat named before I knew "The Frosty" the blacksmith in Alaska. My cat was killed on the road last night, hit by a car.  My roommate and I were horrified to find him this morning. I buried him this afternoon under my dogwood tree. He was a great friend even if he was just a pet cat. I've lost a couple before him that were equal if not even better pet friends too soon including Spooky, Tippy( bottom 2 pictures) and my favorite dog Pugsley, among others to different reasons.  Only have cats nowadays.

This thread could be dedicated to lost friends,family,pets that we loved. Top priority goes to my lost family members and friends. They taught me a lot even if I didn't listen so much at the moment. Wish I could have learned more  

Share your lost friend/ special pet story. We can keep their memories alive.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Das,

Sorry to hear the bad news. A pet is a special kind of friend, & sad to lose.

Time dulls the pain. But the memories stay with us, Remember the good times and move on.

Condolences and regards,

SLAG.

I feel for you bro. Had a cat named Blackie.  Looked very much like your black one. He was 16 and loved being outside. He was under the weather a bit (vet had no diagnoses) and made the move to go outside when i opened the door but hesitated. I gave him a little bump with my foot to get him to move. He went out and we never saw him again.   That was hard. The not nowing what happened. He was a cool cat. That happened years ago but when i saw your black one .........My heart is breaking for you. 

My wife and I don't have 'pets' all of our animals are more like family. A couple years ago I got a call at work that one was attacked by another dog and messed up pretty badly. We had to put him down and I cried like a baby most of the rest of the work day and most of that night. We got him and his sister when they were pups about 3 years earlier. We almost lost his sister shortly before when we took her to get spayed and got parvo while at the vet.

The last three cats I lost across the years lived to be 18, 20 and 16.  That's a long term relationship in my book.  When my Riley (the 16 year old) died just a few months ago I swore his surviving sibling, Gracie, will be my last.   The pain of losing a pet is a unique kind of pain, and I'm not sure I have it in me any more to keep experiencing it.  Feel your pain, Das, and btw Frosty was a beauty!  

Nice thing about pets of all sizes they are TRUE FRIENDS they LOVE YOU FOR YOU AND NOTHING FAKE ABOUT THEM.  in 70 yrs I've lost many of these friends of all sizes Cats to Horses and have decided NO MORE.  I've shed more tears for these friend than most humans.

I got home at night and they all were glad to see me even the aloof cats who treat us Humans more as Staff than owners.  This morning we had a large black bear banging on the picture window 3' from my chair where I was reading the paper now there is a "Pet" I can live without.    This was CT & Not VT where we expect them.

DSCF1486_3564.JPG

DSCF1484_3563.JPG

I feel for you Das, losing a family member is never easy. I think Charles said it all. If it doesn't break your heart you didn't deserve him/er in your life. I'm not going to go into all the family I've lost and had to let go over the years. Knowing when to let them go is part of the deal. One of the saddest periods in my life were the years I had a job and nobody at home so I couldn't keep a dog or cat.

Frosty was a beautiful boy I wish there was a way to teach cats to look both ways. Be well brother.

Frosty The Human.

Thanks everyone.  I don't think I could be without a furry friend in my life. Like Notown said they are true friends. They will always be in my heart. 

think I'd be a bit freaked out to have a black bear knocking on my window.  

Very sorry to hear Das,I too lost a cat about 2 years ago and it was terrible(cancer).They really do stir up a lot of emotions when we lose them(imo in different ways the when we lose human companions).Its' great that you have also invited other to participate,i'll have to look through my comp to find some pics of my cat Bo-bo.

I would also like to Dedicate a few words to my uncle Gregory Scott Sowa "The man who made me the man i am today,The man who acted as my father because i had none"Greg was a quadriplegic when i was born and even with no use of his hands(or legs obviously) he still managed to put some knowledge into my thick teenage head.It is because of him i know what i do about cars/engines/electric/welding the list goes on. He is the reason when i blow a brake line i fix a brake line...like yesterday.R.I.P Greg I know you are up there ripping around in your Chevelle or Harley.

Od, thanks. And kind words of what sounds to be an exceptional man. 

Aus, thanks, very sorry to hear. Guess you have more deadly critters down there to worry about then we do here. Deadliest things here are cars. Rarely hawks and coyote. 

Holy Mackerel Aus, What kind of snake has venom that powerful or was it just a big snake or maybe bite position?  The poisonous . . . things you guys live with everyday is what put visiting down under near the bottom of my bucket list. I grew up around rattle snakes and black widow spiders but that's about it. We don't have that much to worry about in Alaska with exception to the rare imported spider hiding in a pallet of produce or fruit.

Our cats have to watch for hawks and owls, fox, coyote and wolf stay clear of our dogs and feral dogs don't last long. Nobody likes feral dogs, too dangerous to allow.

Frosty The Lucky.

12 hours ago, Frosty said:

Holy Mackerel Aus, What kind of snake has venom that powerful or was it just a big snake or maybe bite position?  .

Frosty The Lucky.

We've had a lot of eastern brown snakes around. Nasty blighters. She never had a chance.

• 5 weeks later...

We had to say goodbye to my old horse yesterday. He was an interesting sort, he would always give me a few hops or kicks when I would put my saddle on him but he would walk like he was on eggshells every time he carried my daughter. In ten years he taught me more about horses than I could have hoped due to the fact that he suffered no fools around him. If you wanted him to do the job you had best be willing to do it right. I could put shoes on him without tying the lead shank yet I could not build a fence that could hold him. Easily the best horse I have ever known and he will be missed. So long Sarge.

Sarge sounds like my Appaloosa Gelding, Banjo. Great animal great teacher. I'll say a few words for Sarge and give my anvil a few taps. Here's hoping he and Banjo will meet up with us on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge. We can ride together and tell tall tales while our dogs chase around.

Be well Brother.

Frosty The Lucky.

Sounds like my cousin's Fiord horse he had for a number of yrs.  His daughter as born 85% blind and they drove this mare all the time and did some showing.  If my cousin a big guy was driving that mare was right up on the bit giving him a hard time and when Heather took the reins, bam different mare, head would drop never make a miss step and in the show ring it was like she understood the announcer when to walk trot or reverse always in the ribbons.    They gave the mare to another disabled girl and she worked many more yrs. for that family.

Heather went on to have her PHD in Physical Therapy and works in a major medical facility "Seeing" Patients with her seeing eye dog beside her.  To this day she credits the Mare for confidence in being able to do what others thought was beyond her. 

I'd rather have 2 animal friends than a dozen half baked humans.  My wife and I were talking about the horses we have had over the yrs before meeting up again, and most have left lasting memories, some left memories I feel every morning when I wake up I remember their names as well. 

Over the years I have come to belive, baring abuse by humans horses grant a sort of grace to children and the disabled. My grand daughters routinely run under my horses, swing from tails and a ft the fool with no more than a turned head to keep track of them. I think the see them as poor crippled foals. The app guildings fallow them around like they were tied to their butts. 

Land that's the second generation, my oldest has ceribral palsy and the horses always watched out for her, most often the flanked her one on a side so she fell against one or the other when she lost her balance. She road but had to mount from the far side, wile dimounting was on the near side (turned so she was setting in the saddle let's pointing out) when she slid down, a big nose was their to steady her. 

With enugh sense to treat them with respect, and learn their culture, manners and language you find them to be exeptinaly loyal friends. Often with a wicked sees of humor.  

I have barried 6 good friends here and don't look forward to the time when my middle aged horses become old. 

Curently I am "owned" by a 12 year old gray app mare that will eat you to protect me (or the grand babies, you would see the pinned ears and bared teeth when their parents try to get them back).

Sandy has negotiated a peice treaty with her app gelding, tho they haven't quite worked out who acualy leads in that dance.

lastly we have good old DB, my baby sitter, he rides and drives. He will set there and watch the other horses spook and bolt and just look and snort. You would swear he is shaking his head at the others. 

Havent met a horse I didn't like, peaple on the other hand... 

And its a fairly small serpent.Aus

The eastern brown snake is generally shy. But its venom is ferocious. Very toxic. The poison gums up nerve transmission, and its other toxins mess with the blood system. (i.e. neurotoxic, and haemotoxic). in other words we get double trouble for the price of one bite. It is one of the most poisonous snakes in Australia. It's a good thing that the snake is usually shy and mostly non-aggressive. Also. it is not a very large serpent. But there are many other Australian customers that are hot tempered and are at least as poisonous as the eastern brown snake. The inland taipan (or fear snake) has a very nasty temper, and it is very aggressive. It strikes multiple times in one go. The toxin is very powerful. It's one of the most potent of any snake on earth. Luckily it is found in central Aus. The eastern taipan is a different snake.

Cheers chaps & ladies,

SLAG.

Edited by SLAG
added information