I Forge Iron

Can Silver and Steel be combined to create a viable blade

This topic reminds me of the time I decided to put a 12 gauge shell on the end of an arrow when I was a teenager.  Ultimately I got it to work, but it's kinda like a bowling ball - no point to it.  Just FYI though, I still chuckle when I remember the arrow flying back further when the 12 gauge shell fired than it traveled forward from the bow.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Buzzkill said:

This topic reminds me of the time I decided to put a 12 gauge shell on the end of an arrow when I was a teenager.  Ultimately I got it to work, but it's kinda like a bowling ball - no point to it.  Just FYI though, I still chuckle when I remember the arrow flying back further when the 12 gauge shell fired than it traveled forward from the bow.

Funny, I did that with a 30 06 round. Pulled the bullet, crimped it on a target head and shot it on a high ark. The arrow didn't get much altitude when the round went off, there wasn't a lot left. I was surprised at how hard it was to get to go off reliably.

Think we could've had a good time as teens had we been neighbors?

Frosty The Lucky.

I didn't use my bow, I build an RPG (pvc pipe launcher and rockets using middle rocket motors and 12guage warheads) it's bad when you go to your best friends wedding, and half the place is full of peaple that work for 3 letter agencies. Dan has made a living telling "Crazy Charles stories" to break the ice befor presenting his lectures. 

Needless to say I pled the fith, which just made them laugh all the harder...

9 hours ago, Frosty said:

Think we could've had a good time as teens had we been neighbors?

Frosty The Lucky.

Definitely.  I'm not sure how it worked on the rifle round, but for the shotgun shell it just blew out the side at first.  That meant finding a piece of pipe the right diameter to contain and focus the force.  Basically it was a small barrel.  But between the weight of the shell, the pipe, and the other pieces involved it was way too heavy to do anything but shoot in an arc, and even then the travel distance was pretty short.  At the time I thought it was a novel idea, but it was practically useless on just about every level except entertainment.

I would thoroughly enjoy adding my thoughts and experience to this tangent, but in reference to Charles' comment, I don't want to encourage others to roll snake eyes :wacko: I will agree though, that an ounce of arrow head takes a lot of energy to move downrange.

Robert Taylor

I've had several whammo's 80# pull with safety; a whammo pistol crossbow with safety,  a barnett 120# pull; built a medieval one based on Payne-Gallwey, and owned a huge swiss army bow estimated to have a 300# pull (and yes both the metalwork and the woodwork was stamped for the swiss army)  other more informal versions I will neither confirm or deny at this point

5 hours ago, Buzzkill said:

Definitely.  I'm not sure how it worked on the rifle round, but for the shotgun shell it just blew out the side at first.  That meant finding a piece of pipe the right diameter to contain and focus the force.  Basically it was a small barrel.  But between the weight of the shell, the pipe, and the other pieces involved it was way too heavy to do anything but shoot in an arc, and even then the travel distance was pretty short.  At the time I thought it was a novel idea, but it was practically useless on just about every level except entertainment.

The arrow fits an 02 case nicely and crimps tight. If it lands on something reasonably solid the shell banana peals and sends shrapnel abut 50'. The arrow remains head for the sky usually it's so shattered it isn't streamlined enough to go far, 20-30' maybe.

Frosty The Lucky.

16 hours ago, Buzzkill said:

Is that your video I watched? Lol

6 hours ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

Short of murder of a dear friend (and all the attendant headaches that involves) I left no evidence of my misspent youth. 

You left evidence of the murder of a dear friend?

Wow, my youth was better spent than I thought I didn't leave evidence of any such thing.

Frosty The Lucky.

20 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

It's surprisingly easy to make way too powerful crossbows...

But surprisingly difficult to make the bolts work right. It took awhile before I got good at sockets and got the fletching right so it didn't corkscrew in flight. Not to mention the dogs kept trying to steal the rawhide for it...

While I'm moderately interested in the technical aspects of laminating silver to steel, I don't think it would work well as a knife or a taser, not to mention the idea of trying to hold a knife and engage in physical contact without getting shocked yourself.

As a member of the military, I can tell ya now that any commander is going to look at the idea of using a knife in combat except under extreme and unlikely circumstances as nooooope, I think a taser is actually illegal under the Hague conventions, and a taser knife is more like H*** .********* no.

On 5/8/2016 at 6:03 PM, FusionShardProductions said:

Hey I'm wondering if it would be possible, if another metal can give the same effect I'm looking for I'll gladly listen to what it is

Would it work if you did a blade out of S7 with a core and flares out of Copper? Have it so the S7 (Shock Resistant) completely coats the copper except for multiple contact points throughout the blade length in which the copper is exposed. This should give the blade more durability with the added protection from the Shock to the wielder (If you do a solid S7 Tang)

Not sure if this will work as its purely speculation at this point.

Steve pointed out that silicon is added to steel to increase its conductivity, makes it easer than getting exotic. In the exotica arena, use composites, ceramic edge , carbon fiber blade with gold filiments. 

Personaly I think putting an axe head on a stun batton, or even mace flanges. So now you have the option of leathal or less than leathal force. 

please forget i am admin for the rest of this post

LOL where do people get these ideas?  there are plenty of highly conductive electrical steel already in existence, but people want to reinvent the wheel  gzzz.  Regular steel conducts just fine,  stop by for a zap and I will show you.  Most electrical grade steel have the addition of just  2% silicon but no, we wont research anything for ourselves, wont light a forge, we wanna sit at keyboard all day and make wild guesses....

OK back to being staff. I needed to get that out of my system, and since I have been accused of being a jerk so often, and stepping on kids dreams,  I figured I may as well do it in a post.