I Forge Iron

Can Silver and Steel be combined to create a viable blade

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What you undergo  Pon Farr????  

One of the reasons we have websites like this is to pick the brains of folks who might know more about an oddball area of knowledge.  I've been amazed at the number of times I have known a starting point for folks to research.  I think what annoys us is folks going full steam ahead *without* doing any research, serene in the belief that their opinions overrule folks with decades of hands on experience in a field.

In this particular instance may I commend to the OP the idea of merging a taser and "A Wheellock Dagger from the Court of the Medici" Arms and Armor Annual, Vol 1

Something like that, lol. Even with my medication I can be all over the place emotionally, angery down to my hairy toes, so in love I can't breath, etc. it's goofy to have to check your self to see if you are feeling an appropriate emotion, and if said emotion is at the approriate level for the situation. The amount of spetialized knowledge here is amazing, not only blacksmithing, but just about any thing else. I half expect to see a PM from a shrink in my inbox, lol  

Oh come on Steve, you're a creative guy. Didn't you come up with some crazy impractical ideas for world changing . . . things as a tween? I sure did but by time I was 12 I could not only read but draw blueprints so my crazy kid "plans" were detailed and on paper. Last time I visited my Sister in Boise she showed me a album Mother and Father kept of my kid inventions. Wanna go for a ride in one of my submarine designs? My favorite is the hover submarine.

I don't think a kid with any creativity in him/er doesn't come up with insanely crazy impossibly impractical ideas for world changing stuff. Who here didn't . . . or isn't?;)

Truth is it's a measure of our creativity and in a number of examples youth that this thread has explored the idea at all.

Frosty The Lucky.

Of course I had wacky ideas, I recall my first marriage being one of the biggest insane ideas I had... The material he said he wants to create already exists.   the fencing foils have the wring in place for what he wants also.  it is confusing to  try to understand why the question i still going round and round, it is time to move on and make one

• 3 weeks later...

Gold would serve you as a better conductor anyway. You'd likely be best served with a gilded, ornamental blade that has engravings that are gilded with gold that would create the actual channel of conductivity.

• 4 months later...

Ever meet our own Steve Sells in person and you will realize that the gruff, sharp tongued moderator/administrator is a very patient and caring individual. If he tells you to stop being an idiot and to do "X,Y,Z" it's because he believes your not stupid and wants to see you get past being lazy and do somthing spactaculure.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/27/2016 at 4:27 PM, Gromgor said:

Gold would serve you as a better conductor anyway. You'd likely be best served with a gilded, ornamental blade that has engravings that are gilded with gold that would create the actual channel of conductivity.

You sir are mistaken, Silver is better, see chart below

Conductivity & Resistivity in Metals

Material

Resistivity
p(Ω•m) at 20°C

Conductivity
σ(S/m) at 20°C

Silver 1.59x10-8 6.30x107
Copper 1.68x10-8 5.98x107
Annealed Copper 1.72x10-8 5.80x107
Gold 2.44x10-8 4.52x107
Aluminum 2.82x10-8 3.5x107