I Forge Iron

Listen to the Curmedgeons and be patient...

Worshipdrummer

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

Guild????????????? So you boot strapping a new "order" don't you remember the bad feelings that happened when the ABS did that?

Are you saying guilding my club won't make it better? There's something I don't understand though. If a person has set Curmudgeons to "Ignore" why am I reading their non-contributor whining on a CURMUDGEON thread? <_<! (I got bleary eyed loooking for an emoticon suitable for a curmudgeon club member so I included the exclamation mark to represent an Alley OOP club)

I'm with you Nate, the move to the "new" platform really damaged the site but it's privately owned and paid for. Glenn just couldn't afford to stay with the other platform and for some stubborn reason won't put a contribution button in the page headers. The loss of so much valuable material and pics is one of the reasons us mean old guys have to answer the same questions so many times. Of course it has nothing to do with folk just asking the universe day one basic questions rather than spend THEIR time reading what's already here.

Frosty The <_<!.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Notice how the real trouble makers hide behind fake names, and rarely help others, but are great at complaining about those that do... one wonders how many are even out of school yet with some of these screen names.

The general rules are "No fussing no cussing NO religion or politics and treat each other with respect"

Lately some have found much entertainment value in abusing others. There has been a high level of disrespect and some even brag about it on other forums -  The problem is now solved, as we had a staff meeting this week, and there will be no more tolerance for trouble makers, if they want to stir trouble they can do it elsewhere, not here.  We can move on and have fun again.

True, the new host and their software has been a probblem for the forum, as is also older formats have to be converted. 

But for the folks that have been here and answerd the same questions over and over again, often more than one time a day. This is flustratrating, as is the work that went in to pined posts to help answer some basic questions for novices, such as what you need to know just to be ignorant. Face it coming in cold to anything takes a bit to spin up and figure out how ignorant you are. I know this sounds condescending but it's the hard truth. If you ask how to cast a sword like in either of the Conan movies or like the. Volerian steel in Game of thrones, their will be a collective groan and some one will try to explains to you that bronze and copper awards were cast and then forged wile steel and iron were, and still are forged. Then they must explain that no, infact this is the truth and the writers, producers and directors of said movies are full of cow pucky. Then we have to explain how to forge, what is a forge, what is an anvil....

.. Then said poster has a cow because some mean, crewl anal spincter tells them that they are wrong. 

Now when you come on winning because the "grumpy old men" are grumpy, you wonder why we just don't care! 

Lets replay this, a knife maker, author and Union electrition takes his time to try and answer a novices question just on the off chance that a decade from now he will be a smith proud to know. 

But no, he gets abused for gifting his time (do you how much he makes an hour as a union electrition, knife maker and instructor. But no, he is an anal spincter for trying to help.

So, if you don't want help from real smiths (or hobiests that may well be rocket scientists, metallurgist or some thing else relevant) take your self back over to face book with the other fools.

don't think the forum rolls are fair? Think you would be able to cus and attack other folks? Guess what, this is a privatly owned and funded site, and Glenn tries to be fair. Don't like it go back to face book. 

Rant over 

12 minutes ago, Steve Sells said:

Notice how the real trouble makers hide behind fake names, and rarely help others, but are great at complaining about those that do... one wonders how many are even out of school yet with some of these screen names.

Problem solved, as we had a staff meeting this week, and no more tolerance for trouble makers, if they want to stir trouble they can do it elsewhere, lets move on and have fun again,

Oh, crap -- do I have to reveal my real name?

I cannot speak for everybody who ends up in an affray with the "mudgeons" but as a FORMER member of that group I will second that the majority of the problem is with the person's EGO.  In my field I am respected, trained, educated and experienced having worked in the industry for 22 years.  I know what I am taking about and I am confident when I give my answers.  I generally will get aggravated when someone asks me the same stupid question for the second time because that indicates to me they did not listen the first time I took my time to try and help them.  What I had to realize was that my field of expertise has absolutely nothing to do with blacksmithing and I have (still) next to zero knowledge and just a little experience. I chose to try and learn the craft no one made me, I was not drafted and I also chose to join this site.  The point I am trying to make is this, the next time you end up in an argument with a mudgeon take a look in the mirror and ask yourself "am I the problem"?  If you honestly consider the question your answer may just be "yes".  If so, humble yourself and recognize your role as neophyte and you will find great information here.  These guys want to help but they do not tolerate a grown adult asking to be spoon fed while they sit in a recliner and watch T.V.  I get it...finally.  

OK what I get hot about is when someone says that their entire family for 7 generations back were blacksmiths..like somehow that means something..and then never picked up a hammer before and they expect to know it all already. No one is born knowing this    stuff .. I know I sure wasn't

For the record in my field I am known as old, ugly, cranky and I scratch where it itches...

JPH

Will that be on the back flap of the next book JPH?

I know I have a major problem with folks who ask me the same questions again; I know why I do and I try to not discharge my ire on them; but I'm not perfect, shoot the proctologist told me so!

• 2 weeks later...

Back to the main topic of the thread: in a word, yes, you should listen. Oh, and you also should manage to explain yourself pretty well too. one person though I did not have a forge at one point (even though I do).

Plus, like you (worshipdrummer), I have been working extensively since my last thread (the one involving practising on the mild steel). I managed to buy some 1095 steel, work with it, and produce a blade. I am midway through finishing the blade (it isn't heat-treated or tempered yet, though; I thought it would be easier to do the majority of the finish work on the blade before the quench) and my dad fashioned two wood blocks that will become a handle for the finished knife. it's coming along rather nicely.

I have taken pictures of my project, though uploading them may be a problem. All the images are on a school-issued iPad and the computer I'm posting from is a PC.