I Forge Iron

Listen to the Curmedgeons and be patient...

Worshipdrummer

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To true, Tommas. We have all done it. Read something in an old manual, seen something in a video or read a post and due to our imperfect understanding we go to the forge and the steel laughed at us. With a bit of experimenting we finally see the tau of the steel and it all comes together. 

I am new to the site and to blacksmithing but as I research and read through the threads on here I find myself getting xxxxxx by some posters. I'm going XXX I've read the answer to this in three different threads already. Or when you give an answer then the same question gets asked again a couple of posts down. I think a lot of it is this younger generation wants instant gratification instead of investing the time to research. I have seen this happen in other forums also and some of those guys are even brutal to a stupid post.

2 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

What????  "May maledictions follow this nameless thing to the uttermost depths of world slime!" isn't brutal enough?

Oh pshaw I do believe I'll have to go and recalibrate the insultometer again; thanks for the tip!

I think hes right Thomas our brutalators are just too old and sweetied up. Do you use an Insultolin pump too? Should I have one implanted? I think my mocktonin levels are high enough to compensate but I don't want to be . . . HEY WAIT! If we have to get near the world slime I want a rubber suit, politicians can get on you and they're so HARD to get out.

Frosty The Lucky.

18 hours ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

we go to the forge and the steel laughed at us

At least when we get this at the anvil we can HIT it good and hard and not get locked up, Yet anyways. 

Learned a valuable lesson last week and it will go for Blacksmithing I would think as well as woodworking where this happened to me.  I was making a small piece to cover up something and it had to be x long and both ends had to be angled, different degree of course.  Had the angles right but 3 times they were 1/16" too short after three trips from the 2nd floor to the basement shop I discovered the 2 tape measures I was using were different. I usually have one up and another on the saws so I don't end up with none and after the 3 trips I decided to check against a machinist 6" and  the first inch of one was 1/16"+ short to the other. The slide tab on the end was mounted wrong. Threw that one out, got for free from HF, and now carry one back and forth like I should have done.  Should have checked sooner but my woodworking skills aren't  all that good, other than making mistakes and kindling.  Great at Kindling.

I did notice recently I was promoted at this forum to an experienced curmudgeon, wow a yr. ago I couldn't spell it now I is one.  I guess being a Grump isn't PC any longer.   

Been there Notown, done that including making multiple trips. Dad laughed at me every time . . .he was around that is. I got revenge though, caught him a good one while he was building. His steps weren't coming out right, the block wouldn't fit. He was convinced the block was out of spec. I walked back to the street to get an overall look and it was all out of level but two directions.

I laid his level against the wall penciled, line and flipped it over. His 4' level was about 1/2" out in 4'. For one of those precious moments in life I got to look my Father in the eye, look down at the level, turn it over, look back up and see him look embarrassed about not checking his instruments! Dad was a metal spinner and machinist and did a LOT for aerospace, holding a millionth was almost everyday. This mistake would be like Mr Ross accidentally holding a hammer by the head.

One job, one scale. A rule drummed into me from childhood and I still forget.

Frosty The Lucky.

Notown, I don't want to nit-pick, but even if you got "curmudgeon" spelled right in your avatar description, the word "experianced" is actually spelled "experienced". I dunno if things like that bother you, but they will drive me crazy!

its fixed, it can be hard to spell correctly when typing with a 3# hammer

5 hours ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

Na, Jerry I was talking about Tony. Glenn and Steve have come alongside and cleaned up my messes before, I imagine they would like the help. 

That's what I was thinking I may have messed up. I'll keep y fingers crossed Tony has some free time. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

odd that we have had two members (or were they both the same person?) get mad throw a tantrum and leave the site this week over what they saw as their "rights to free speech" even if this is a privately owned site with clearly posted rules,  they actually think they can have their own set of rules to conduct Just for special them?    We hid those type of posts of course,  we will not let their rude foul posts remain,  but why cant they at least pretend to act like adults and just leave rather than attempt to grandstand? deciding if we dont agree with the kids wanting to make a sword from a rr spike we are evil. they advocate letting them go, and decided those will not get hurt to see for themselves. because they know we are over reacting and keeping secrets.

Funny how one person made comments about IFI's  secret police/mods.. he was so clueless, you all know I dont hide from anyone, not that I could even if I wanted too at 6'2" and 300#.   Neither do the other staff.

Oh drats, did our rough and tumble blacksmith joshin chase another one off? I did, I DID do it again didn't I? :o  Please don't make me sit in a corner and look at mathematical formulae!

Steve: I don't think the spectacularly inarticulate "ban me" rant of a month or whatever ago was a matter of cluelessness it was personal problems with which he couldn't cope. I think his method of last resort was clear evidence as to why he's having so much trouble coping with issues we all deal with. No I don't know anything about his personal life but I can read the story writ plain in actions.

I didn't see this "ban me rant." Did I miss anything good?

Sad case.

Frosty The Lucky.

No Frosty , you didn't do anything wrong .... this time :P

Had another go off wanting to be banned ( & got just what he asked for too )

Made comments about the moderators being " secret police/mods " .

If you look to the left of my post ( & Steve's ) in my profile  it'll show that i'm a Moderator so no idea where the " secret police/mods " thing came about .

Dale Russell

IFI Demi Admin / Mod86