I Forge Iron

Rings on your anvil stand

I am just wondering if you like a clean anvil stand or if you prefer rings or some other form of hanging tools and hammers on your anvil stand

i made a new stand for my main anvil and am tring to deside if I want tool holders on it.

image.jpeg.8168695c06a464d7deced094c9874

stand is 1/4" plate and filled with 3 70lb bags of ram packed S mortar (dry). 

image.jpeg.d18be7418db15e9d73ab3ada6f46f

like the clean lines and look with no tools hanging on it, but don't like the tools on the floor around it.  Thoughts?? 

On another note Dick with Reflinghaus gives me a hard time about having the only new reflinghaus he has seen that someone took all the

factory paint off of.  I think it looks better naked.

I have a standard drop spot beside my anvil. It's much faster than trying to set them in a particular place. If I had tool holders on the anvil they'd probably go unused for that reason, unless of course it was a handy tray. Might add one but it'd be a bit low.

A table on wheels can be moved nest to the anvil or not so close depending on the job at hand. No use having that one hammer or other tool that you have not used in a year hanging on the anvil ring, just in case. Put it in a drawer. 

With the mobile table, all the right tools for the project at hand and always on the table as you build the inventory of tools for each project.

Hooks are preferred to rings or loops as you can just grab a hammer by the handle and lift. With a ring you have to grab the head, lift, then grab the handle. Too much wasted effort.

Beautiful Anvil and stand! leave it clean and go with a stand of some sort on wheels like Glenn mentioned. I use a stand on wheels and like it since i've been using it as i can move it where i need it for the job at hand. portable stands can always be adjusted for different tools and can hold more then an anvil stand can. 

I much prefer a tool caddy loaded for the job and positioned for efficiency. You can guarantee if I put a punch down I'll not be bale to find it again, at least with a small caddy it can only be hiding under a limited number of playmates!

Beautiful anvil stand Matto but not to my taste at all. I much prefer the anvil be retained by a rim and wedges so I don't have the chains in the way. A rim has a couple advantages: if you're into the visual a rim is MUCH cleaner than wrapping chain around the anvil and coming up with the necessary tensioner.  Or a hard clamp. I've used anvils mounted on sand boxes and really like the sound damping action.

Another advantage of the rim and wedge method is the versatility, I'll post pics of my stand again to illustrate. I made hammer and tong racks with light gauge angle iron that keep hang-able tools handy and act as wedges but I can remove the racks and apply wedges if they're in the way. I haven't yet made racks or pan hangers for under the tail to catch hot punchouts and pinch offs from the hardy or a can of oil, wax or graphite to cool and lube punches. Maybe I'll get a wild hair one day.

Using a rim also makes handy little shelves around the anvil's foot where I can drop a hardy or punch, drift, side cutter, etc. they're out of the way and won't fall on the floor.

A nice close sand box like yours is sweet, I don't much care for stands that are so wide I have to stand back farther than I want. Some processes are better performed with my toes almost under my anvil. I do, I've been known to have my knees against my anvil, rare but it happens and yes I pull the hammer rack when I do.

I'm not a big fan of rings welded to the stand but they're okay, I can adapt I'd just rather not have to.

Of course that's all just my opinion and doing things differently is what makes this an art and IFI a great place to pick up new tricks and try different things. Pic of my anvil stand follows. I can lift my anvil and stand both with the engine hoist if one or both racks are wedging them together. It also damps the ring significantly, from ear piercing to a not unpleasant clink, clank.

Frosty The Lucky.

56e4727ed9698_Anvilstand01s.JPG.28b6d9eb56e4728ef41fa_Hammerrack01.JPG.1ff392788

Thanks for all the thoughts.  I do like the cleanses of not having something hanging off the stand.  I have a vise close that I can use and do have a small rolling table.  Frosty I also like to get close to the anvil.  The base is only 13" wide.  Still plenty of room to go around and up close.  I had a tripod Stand there first.  Wanted something different for this anvil that was kinda modern yet classic stump.  All my traveling stands are tripods.  

I'm definitely in favor of no rings.

On a stand as nice as yours, I'd want to showcase the wonderful lines as much as possible.  Plus, you just can't deny the PR potential of having a clean, classy anvil stand and anvil.  Once the anvil and stand corrode a bit and get some patina on them, it will make a great backdrop for product photos and such.

I'd definitely get rid of the shiny chain and turnbuckles.  While I understand you don't want the anvil walking around on you, there are better ways of securing it without marring the overall vibe the stand is giving off.  

My next build, just as soon as I get some expanded metal or such, is going to be a rolling tool cart with plenty of room for tongs and hammers around the periphery.  I have a small table directly behind me when standing at the anvil and it's great for holding all my stuff.  If it had wheels, I could roll it right next to the anvil so everything was within easy reach and relatively organized.