I Forge Iron

Upcoming knife project

Brian Isakson

I knew from an early age that I wanted to go into a designing field, I have also really always wanted to try blacksmithing, well this is how I connected them. I set out to think of a knife design nobody has ever done before, obviously I can't patent this design and don't really want to. I want people to be able to do this! Although I do want people to see what I came up with. I don't want to "forbid them" from making a knife like this. I do not have a YouTube channel so I can't make and post a video. Mainly I just Don't want someone else getting a patent to keep people from doing this. So this is what I came up with: start with a railroad spike, first I will draw out the blade, it will probably be pretty average looking. Flatten out the head of the spike. Then I will start evenly drawing out the handle until it gets to be about a 1/4" in diameter (At this point it should be pretty long). From there I'll bend it at 5" - 5 1/2" up the handle and curl it back towards it's self and start wrapping the handle about 3/4" - 1" in diameter all the way to the blade. That should form a nice grippy handle. Then if there's metal left I will wrap a gaurs around the start of the blade (to protect the hand from slipping). If there is still metal left I will bend it around over top of the Knuckles. How much metal is left will entirely depend on how well I can it out. I am posting this for three reasons. One, as an instructional article for something I think is really great. Two, so I can get the credit for what I deserve as (as far as I know) I'm The First person to come up with this. Lastly, I want your opinions on this extremely exotic handle. Thank you, Brian. 

Ps. I am not an artist but that's what I'm going for. 

image.jpg

Edited by Brian Isakson

so first you made a mistake to assume a nail will make a good knife,  Second your claims its a one of a kind design is also wrong. and there is nothing exotic about  a wire wrapped grip.  

Welcome to the forum, If you had read a bit and you would have seen that you have put the cart before the horse. Nothing wrong with getting excited,  just slow down and back up a ways.

First, there's nothing wrong with railroad spike knives, the ones I use are high carbon. Second, please show me a design where the handle is wrapped the same way. Third I say it's exotic because I plan to make it my own twist on a  hilt commonly seen on a rapier (an exotic sword). Lastly I don't at all claim to own rights, be the first to ever think of this I've just never seen any videos or articles on this wrap. I just want to post an instructional article on something I've never seen before. 

Edited by Brian Isakson

Brian, you might want to quickly yank that hand back before it gets bit. :ph34r:

I second that emotion. 

Really Brian.  The folks are here to help you but,  you need to do some reading of the stickies posted here and elsewhere in I Forge Iron.

You are trying to reinvent an item that has at least 30,000 years of development by contemporary humans and hundreds of thousands of years by our early ancestors.

Before there was steel there was Iron, before there was Iron there was bronze, before bronze there was polished stone, before polished shone there was flacked stone.

Brian, no one will find if instructional if one, it is not well done, if two it does not present new information, if three the presenter doesn't  know his subject.

You have failed at this point in points one, two , three. I don't mean to be critical but many of the persons posting in this forum are professionals or semi-pros.

Read and learn and experiment.  We are interested in your experiments, and will try to help you achieve what ever goal you set for yourself.  You need to know the history before  you begin to claim something new. 

Edited by Charlotte
syntax

ROFL:

No use folks..he already knows all there is..RR spikes are not *high carbon*..they are medium carbon at best...and not all of them are..Do they make a usable knife? All depends upon the material and the thermal treatment. I can get them hard enough to take and hold a using edge..but I know a few tricks in doing that. others do as well..it's all in the material and knowing how to use it to its best advantage.

Wire wrapped grips? NOT new..in any sense of the word...not "exotic" either.. Since when are rapier's "exotic"?? I make about 2 dozen of them a year...  Man this guy is way over the top...

JPH

Edited by JPH
spelling

TO WHOEVER HAS THE POWER ON THIS WEBSITE TO DELETE MY PROFILE, PLEASE DO. I DON'T WANT TO BE APART OF THIS SITE. HALF YOU'RE MEMBERS DON'T KNOW A xxxx THING, AND ALL OF THEM NEED TO GROW UP, AND TRY TO UNDERSTAND REASON. Once again please delete my profile. 

IFI has a zero tolerance to cussing , please refrain from using it

TO WHOEVER HAS THE POWER ON THIS WEBSITE TO DELETE MY PROFILE, PLEASE DO. I DON'T WANT TO BE APART OF THIS SITE. HALF YOU'RE MEMBERS DON'T KNOW A xxxx THING, AND ALL OF THEM NEED TO GROW UP, AND TRY TO UNDERSTAND REASON. Once again please delete my profile. 

Why are you getting so worked up? People are just commenting just as you wanted. Is it because our experts aren't smart enough? If it's because of the comments about spikes not being high carbon, just do a quick search for carbon content and then do a search for carbon content for blade steels and you'll see the difference.

Brian

In only 5 posts you have chosen to throw away a wonderful opportunity to learn about knife making, and blacksmithing. I would venture to say MOST of the members of the site are much older and much more experienced than you are now. Some of the members have written BOOKS on the subjects they know about. Those books are the ones you will run across IF you want to learn. Your opportunity to talk with the authors directly and ask them questions is now gone.

You say that you are now 15 years old. We have members that started at your age and have become professionals in as little as 5 years. You can still do that, but your road is now uphill all the way.

We wish you well.

All I can say is, "wow'. I thought I knew how to tick people off. I know nothing.

Brian, relax. It's OK, really. Folks on this site are a little rough around the edges, like most people who hit stuff with hammers for a living. Hang around, take some verbal chiding and get used to it. If you keep at it, you might learn something about smithing. Now, are you going to cowboy up, or not?

I'm with Cliffrat. After you cool off, and you get out of the penalty box, Glenn is usualy good about second chances (unless you have comited more grivius offences we havent seen. 

Get used the fact that most of us have been at this longer than you have been alive, and many here have been at it longer than I have been alive. 

Its not that you couldnt posably show us a new trick, but it's unlikely. Most of the "new tricks" we think we have descoverd are either in an old dusty book fron a hundred (or more) years ago or in the hustorical record. 

I have learned, and am still learning from some of the "grouch old guy/gal's (even been acused of being one) on here. Infact the younger set eithe shows me a new (to me) trick of sends me of on a quest to find an anser for a question. Take a breath, put on your big boy pants (or grand dad's boxers) and pull up a chair. We arn't going to let you win at checkers either. 

Yea, but we have all been there. But my folks and my friends disillusioned me of that notion at a young age. 

You're right. I know I have sworn up and down that I what I THOUGHT I knew was correct only to find out years down the road that I was mistaken.  It isn't always good to trust a single source. I learned to investigate several different sources to try to come up with correct information.

You're right. I know I have sworn up and down that I what I THOUGHT I knew was correct only to find out years down the road that I was mistaken.  It isn't always good to trust a single source. I learned to investigate several different sources to try to come up with correct information.

I find myself learning things are completely different than what I knew as a kid and even some things I knew last week I find wrong too. That's part of life and part of learning. And research is definitely key to doin anythin right.

Not to be negative about the current crop of young, but one of the things that we lose by becoming an urban civilization is the contact of the young with adults in a work situation.

A week with granddad on the farm repairing fence can teach many valuable lessons.

The 'adults in a work situation' has changed tremendously. Used to people worked hard to learn and accomplish a task right, now days we (people as a whole) strive to do just enough to get payed so we can go buy a new fancy toy. There are several people out there who still work in the old manor but it's a small crowd from what I've seen.

Well, for me my parents worked hard, played hard and where dang smart, being the smartest kid at the lunch table didn't do any good at the dinner table.

Started running with the "nerd" croud in highschool. Had to be prepaored to back your rederic with them

Most of the folks here are not in the bottom 50%, or even the bottom 90% of brain power. Especialy the guys and gals we all look to for answers. 

If you waid in to this pond, you either bring your "A" game or shut up and "learn enugh to be ignorant" (love that line from Glenn). Do your home work boys and girls, come in and ask, don't tell us and even grouchy old Steve Sells will spend hours of his time (have any idea wat a union master electrition makes an hour?!) answering your questions

If some one here dosnt want you to seccede, they wont be here long. 

I think it was Mark Twain who said: When I was 18 years old my old man was so ignorant I could barely stand to be around him. By the time I turned 24, I was amazed at how much the old guy had learned.

I can't recall who said: The only truly bad experience is the one from which you learn nothing.

Know that the OP is now offline and will not benefit.  Also am aware how ingenious and full of himself he came off in his first post.  Is description of his "exotic" handle was poor, but it did have an aspect that I think has been missed that made it fairly unique (mostly because it is a design that I think was pretty awful).  The wound handle is wrapped around a hollow core, like a spring.  Not sure if he understood that a 1/4" diameter wire spring would flex, which certainly wouldn't be good for a knife handle.

• 1 month later...