I Forge Iron

Humor section?

tonyw

See, we're all picking up new things about dialects of a "common" language! A friend on another . . . Okay a list sent this recently and I think I'll adopt it. Frosty The Lucky.

"Education: that which discloses to the wise and disguises from the foolish their lack of understanding"

-Ambrose Bierce

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heres a good example of lost in translation. I could guess what it means and probably if I was to comment on something like this I'd find my foot in my mouth. Now I have to look up a couple words so I don't feel like a fool. Just to make my point, when I first read that I read, 'why are those guys putting a (clothing item) on a Barbie (doll).' I quickly realized however that the Barbie in question might be a barbecue meaning a 'flatty' is a type of food. That give me the impression it might be a hamburger. The 'n'kuku on the braai' I won't even hazard a guess.  

as they say ,a picture is worth a thousand words . The 'flattie/n'kuku/spatchcock  on a Barbie/braai/grill

flattie.jpg

Edited by ianinsa

Was trying to remind a joke about the magical dwarf smiths in Germanic mythology, but I came up short...Really, it's hard to believe I'd stoop that low.

Stumped eh? At least I can reach the bar.

Frosty The Lucky.

Was trying to remind a joke about the magical dwarf smiths in Germanic mythology, but I came up short...Really, it's hard to believe I'd stoop that low.

Stumped eh? At least I can reach the bar.

Frosty The Lucky.

Don't get it… :( 

Must be way over my head...

Alan

After watching this humor thing spill over onto another half dozen or so other threads, perhaps we need a humor section to contain, corral,  or at least quarantine the site from the recent outbreak of puns and etc.

Then again, folks are reading more and more of the threads just to keep up with the word play.

Who would have thought a blacksmith, or bladesmith, or tinsmith, etc, could also be a wordsmith? And this happening in the heat of the summer when they should have been at the forge or the anvil and playing with metal.

Uh Glenn, this "humor thing" has been going on since I joined and I'm pretty sure it didn't start when I joined. I'll bet if someone were bored enough to go through all your posts it'd contain a fair % of jokes, puns, friendly japes and such.

I do have to admit this thread/section/? hasn't done much to slow the jocularity down on the rest of the site. Oh I think I'm going to cry! <sniff sniff>

A lot of us cook, sew, knit, play instruments, do paycheck jobs, all kinds of odd pursuits, what's the surprise wordsmithing is common?

Frosty The Lucky.

I think many of the diverse individuals can't help but open a jocular vein now and then, and it bleeds over into all the threads......

Bleedin' 'eck …what an excellent example…razor sharp wit and going for the jugular... 

Alan

Jeez Frosty, don't tell em I knit. Manly arts only. Next you'll let em know I do cross stitch. My purl of wisdom.....A-hem...

Mother tried to teach me to knit but I spent more time tinking and finally gave it up. Mom, our live in Grandmother tried to teach me to crochet or embroider but again I spent more time undoing. I am pretty good on the sewing machine though but haven't in a while. I'm pretty sure if I'd grown up during the depression like my folks I would've picked stuff like that up, it's how Mother earned a little money for herself.

Well, then again in the 1930's there really was such a thing as man's and woman's work so knitting would be a personal time thing I guess. Guess I'll stay with cooking besides I don't undo mistakes I eat them if they're not too bad of course.

Frosty The Lucky.

Snip. Guess I'll stay with cooking besides I don't undo mistakes I eat them if they're not too bad of course.

Frosty The Lucky.

Elegant, Frosty.

I always like mysteaks undone too…well at least rare.

Alan

Edited by Alan Evans

Some folk like their steak Moo undone than I. I prefer uncommon psychic steaks, you know the medium rare ones.

On a more serious note. Have you ever cooked steak on a camp fire? Here, unless it's a warm summer day it's hard to enjoy a steak, the first couple bites are WAY too hot and in a couple minutes the juices are congealing on the plate. The way I like campfire steak is to cut it into bite size pieces, season it and use a skewer to stick it in a glory hole. A little void in the coals at temps in the mid orange heat. Your bite is done to my satisfaction in about 8-10 seconds and every bite is nicely charred, hot and juicy. Prawns are done when the shell and legs are burnt off maybe 5 seconds for a large one.

Frosty The Lucky.

Between posts, I have just consumed a rare swordfish steak cooked over charcoal. It is not just the cooking of the swordfish that was rare, it is the event over here as well…this is only the third time we have eaten outside this year…three years ago we had such a warm year we only eat inside three times…(slight exaggeration)

Alan

Deb and I might be tempted to eat outside but right now we're under a near complete burn ban. Almost the entire state of Alaska is under a red flag fire warning and we have several large fires burning. The Sockeye fire is about 30 miles west of us but hasn't grown or moved in two days so maybe they'll be able to get it knocked down.

The Card street fire on the other hand jumped from 8,000 acres last night to 12,000 this morning. Okay, just checked and there's a discrepancy is size reports but it's not in a place with much chance of fighting it effectively. There are some 250 hot shot fire crew members fighting it mainly trying to save structures. The main direction it's growing is into a national preserve with no roads or resources to fight fires.

There are two more that have started in the last two days and they're in rough terraine so aerial water & borate bombers are almost all they can fight them with. Water bombing is NOT the way to win against a forest fire but if it's all you have. The Healy lake fire near Tok is more than 10,000 acres now and there is only one hot shot crew on it, trying to protect structures. That area may be relatively flat but there isn't a dirt trail, let alone roads and not a lot of lakes for water bombers to fill.

The temperature is going down and humidity is going up so this will really help fight them. The Sockeye seems to be backed up against the Susitna river and that's a fire break close to 2 miles across if they can keep it pinned. This fire is closest to large populations so it has the bulk of the crews and resources on it. The borate bombers are making good progress limiting it's movement, there are satellite pics where borate red is visible on the fire's margins. It's supposed to rain in the next couple days. If they can get Sockeye knocked down and under good enough control they can shift forces to the Card st. or Healy lake. fires

Uh, sorry for the side track but no, Deb and I will be eating inside for now. I'm dieing to try glory hole lamb chops and BBQ corn on the cob! Mmmmmm.

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty