I Forge Iron

Humor section?

tonyw

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah, every place has it's rewards and hazards and it's been really dry here recently. My chainsaws are sharp and tuned, sprinklers are ready and the gen set is next to the house in case they have to shut off the elec.

Fortunately we live in a birch forest and fires don't travel well in birch. The out of control monsters are in primarily black spruce forest and dry black spruce is called gasoline on a stick by fire fighters. It's very pitchy with a lot just running down the trunk. Great for starting a camp fire, a couple cones, scrape off a little pitch and a little crumple of birch bark and you can get a fire going in a rain storm. Birch bark burns like tar paper but the trees don't catch well at all.

It's sort of on our minds right now, it's really smoky out but not as bad as Tuesday and Wednesday. There is a 100,000 acre fire going in California right now too and that's high desert and what lakes there are are running dry they're so low.

Am I killing the "humor" thread or what?  :o

Frosty The Lucky.

After watching this humor thing spill over onto another half dozen or so other threads, perhaps we need a humor section to contain, corral,  or at least quarantine the site from the recent outbreak of puns and etc.

Then again, folks are reading more and more of the threads just to keep up with the word play.

From my observation of other forums that have had a humour section, it is not differences in language that is the problem. it is the members lack of ability to stay within the boundaries of the forums posting guidelines when faced with no category or topic restrictions. I dont understand why normally intelligent and knowledgeable people feel the need to cut and paste material that is clearly not appropriate and get themselves banned. It seems to work OK for about 12 months then falls in a heap. there may be a format out there that works, i have not seen one yet.

From my observation of other forums that have had a humour section, it is not differences in language that is the problem. it is the members lack of ability to stay within the boundaries of the forums posting guidelines when faced with no category or topic restrictions. I dont understand why normally intelligent and knowledgeable people feel the need to cut and paste material that is clearly not appropriate and get themselves banned. It seems to work OK for about 12 months then falls in a heap. there may be a format out there that works, i have not seen one yet.

The answer is 42,000 sets of eyes (current membership of IFI) willing to make a report to site administrators and moderators to look at the post. The IFI the terms of service and site guidelines are expected to be followed and enforced. If not then the admins and mods will take the appropriate action.

Edited by Steve Sells

Frosty, just volunteer to help fight the nearest fire for a day... Walk up with the meat in one pocket and the corn in the other.

Uh huh. Frosty walks up to a forest fire and the fire chief asks. "Is that a corn cob in your pocket or are you here to BBQ that steak?"

Frosty The Lucky.

Down under Yahoo. Vulgar folk don't last too long here we're a pretty self policing bunch. Too many have youngsters who read the posts and there's nothing like your 7 year old asking momma what a "blink blink" is to get a poster shut down.

Things get out of hand around here every now and then and we get the occasional troll who gets a bite but the problems self correct pretty quickly.

Frosty The Lucky.

Snip 

Am I killing the "humor" thread or what?  :o

Frosty The Lucky.

Typical, you take a serious thread about the aesthetics and craftsmanship of a bird brained feet of engineering and make jokes…and when you have a light hearted thread about humour you go all serious and bring it back around to talk about using enormous heat sources… blacksmiths huh!…

I think there is no better place for these creative diversions.

Alan

p.s. reference for those that come later…don't miss it! http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/42378-a-chicken-footed-trivet/

p.p.s. Frosty I am sure the fire chief would be pleased to see you.

Edited by Alan Evans

Uh huh. Frosty walks up to a forest fire and the fire chief asks. "Is that a corn cob in your pocket or are you here to BBQ that steak?"

Frosty The Lucky.

I have to admit, that was not the punchline I was expecting...and for that I am glad.

I have to admit, that was not the punchline I was expecting...and for that I am glad.

I couldn't think of anything else. Believe me if I showed up on a fire line with corn and steak there better be enough for everybody, fixins and drinks too. Right now, the crews with road access aren't eating MREs, it's good solid catered grub. We know how to treat heros.

Collections for folk who've lost their homes are rolling in, as are offers of places to live and to take care of pets and livestock. Medical and injuries are being dealt with gratis by vet offices, docs (human docs) and hospitals. Pet food and livestock feed companies are lined up offering huge discounts or free food for those who need it.

As bad as it's been the response of people to those in need is enough to make me proud to be a human being. Heck, even the gvts are responding, behind the curve and with public pomp and ceremony of course but helping out.

Frosty The Lucky.

The answer is 42,000 sets of eyes (current membership of IFI) willing to make a report to site administrators and moderators to look at the post. The IFI the terms of service and site guidelines are expected to be followed and enforced. If not then the admins and mods will take the appropriate action.

Thanks for your response Glenn and frosty. Just to be clear, I am not referring to n00bs and trolls here. The conflict I have seen that has damaged quality forums has started between very senior members with 000's of posts and/or moderators-admin , from my observation it has always started over topics that are not related to the theme of the forum. Yes, there may be 42,000 members here but I would argue that the tone and dynamic of this forum is set by a lot less than 30 posters.

I am stating my opinion that this dynamic will change over time with the addition of an active section for off-topic humour and the moderation process may have to adapt along with it. I am also stating that there a a few individuals that are capable of the most amazing project posts I have ever seen but their personal internal filters have a small conniption every so often. This is a dilemma, remove the temptation, remove the individual or manage their behavior at a personal level so they can stay on the forum.

Please dont feel obliged to answer, I just feel that this is a significant change that should not be taken too lightly by the admin team.

Ayup, I've watched a few E-mail lists devolve into flame war wastelands and those that survived are pretty clique dominated. A couple fora have become dead zones or just gone as well.

While it's possible for IFI to be eaten by badness the existence of a humor section is a really slim concern. We joke, make puns, kid each other and just generally cut up pretty much at will everywhere. If, when we get out of bounds someone just says so and with rare exception it cools off.

Some of us lose it, I've done so but I've been brought up short by friends. When I've gotten out of line I've gotten PMs letting me know I lost it. I've gotten PMs from Admin.

I'm not unique I know of a couple regular posters who've let things get to them and gotten loud. We drop them a PM to let them know. With a few exceptions extreme enough to get banned the self policing nature of IFI has worked well.

Maybe it's the nature of blacksmithing but I've yet to see a blacksmithing forum or E-mail list devolve so. Not saying it couldn't happen but I really think your alarmed over what ifs and might bes. If my cutting up starts hurting the forum folk will say so and I'll put a lid on it as I'm sure will the other jokers.

Relax bro.

Frosty The Lucky.