I Forge Iron

Humor section?

tonyw

I think IFI needs a Humor Section. Wouldn't it be great to have a place to collect jokes, puns, and stories of funny incidents? Some of you guys are absolutely hilarious. I wonder how many untold jokes there are floating around. What do you think, guys? Or maybe this thread could just be a Humor Thread? Don't think I have any jokes myself, just wanted to hear from you all.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IForgeIron is visited and viewed by over 150 world wide countries and humor does not translate well at all. If you add local language, local sayings, their local humor, it is either not understood or is misunderstood outside the local area where it is used.

-----------------------

The chat room has several folks visit from Australia. We in America had to have much of what they said translated to English, and they were speaking English already !!  For instance "The cook is putting a chook on the barbie for Chrissie". We can guess at barbie and cook, but what about the rest ??

Cook (noun) : One's wife.  Chook : a chicken. Barbie : barbecue (noun). Chrissie : Christmas. Reference: click here

--------------------------

Rhyming slang is a form of phrase construction in the English language that is especially prevalent in dialectal English from the East End of London; hence the alternative name, Cockney rhyming slang. The construction involves replacing a common word with a rhyming phrase of two or three words and then, in almost all cases, omitting the secondary rhyming word (which is thereafter implied), in a process called hemiteleia, making the origin and meaning of the phrase elusive to listeners not in the know.

Spider:  "That Apple Cider has 'orrible 'airy Scotch Eggs"

Boots: Daisy roots  Reference: click here

Laugh: 'Yer 'avin' a Giraffe, pal!'

--------------------------

Red Neck and Southern Slang

gussied up – cleaned up and dressed very nicely (perhaps formally)

If I had my druthers – if I had my way/my preference

knee-high to a grasshopper – very young and small, as in, “The last time I saw you, you were knee-high to a grasshopper, and look at you now!”

skedaddle – to leave hurriedly

Tar: He got him a flat tar!

Water. Water you doing. (what are you doing?)

y’all – a contraction of you + all. This is the informal 2nd person plural in Southern English.

------------------------------

Puns: a play on words.

There was a post recently on a chicken footed trivet that went sideways (off course) and into the world of puns. Unless you understand the word play, you can easily get lost. Puns do not translate well.

The other day I was standing in the park wondering why Frisbees get bigger and bigger the closer they get. Then it hit me. (While he was wondering about the size of the incoming object, it hit him in the head.)

-------------------------------

IForgeIron is a blacksmithing and metal working that tries to use English as a standard language. This way it CAN be translated into other languages. The blacksmithing names for tools or terms used may not translate well, so we encourage people to use photos when ever possible. Photos translate VERY well across all languages.

Edited by Glenn

I think IFI needs a Humor Section. Wouldn't it be great to have a place to collect jokes, puns, and stories of funny incidents? Some of you guys are absolutely hilarious. I wonder how many untold jokes there are floating around. What do you think, guys? Or maybe this thread could just be a Humor Thread? Don't think I have any jokes myself, just wanted to hear from you all.

​Blacksmiths are grumpy; they have no sense of humor.:lol:

Blacksmith's shop dog - kick him once and he'll make a bolt for the door...

Good post there, Glenn. You are right, humor doesn't translate well across different languages. I hadn't thought of that. I guess I will have to content myself with the humor that pops out in the course of regular discussions.

I tell a joke and people get mad at me,  like It has gotten so bad, OSHA has had to determined that the maximum load limit of my back is 3 persons, unless I install hand rails and safety belts, and seeing  how your post here is the 4th in line,  you will have to wait your turn.

lets see how that translates now.....

I tell a joke and people get made at me,  like It has gotten so bad, OSHA has had to determined that the maximum load limit of my back is 3 persons, unless I install hand rails and safety belts, and seeing  how your post here is the 4th in line,  you will have to wait your turn.

I'm not sure just how much of a joke it was meant to be but I couldn't help but chuckle thinking about all the grief youve been given lately.

Did you mean "of course"?

Good one Yves. Does it matter what he really meant?

While it's a good point jokes don't necessarily translate well, I can't think of a better way to learn a language than learning to laugh in it.

Frosty The Lucky.

I tell a joke and people get mad at me,  like It has gotten so bad, OSHA has had to determined that the maximum load limit of my back is 3 persons, unless I install hand rails and safety belts, and seeing  how your post here is the 4th in line,  you will have to wait your turn.

Good one Steve but won't OSHA fine you for halving the safe load limit like that? And don't try telling me those are ears not safety rails! :P

Frosty The Lucky.

I think the world's a better place if you get to smile once in a while!

Humor often sits in your 'mind_frame at the time, it can often change it for the better too. The reality though is through nurture ,not nature we often derive pleasure at another's misfortune (think of the chap on the skateboard/bicycle on the roof/handrail coming a cropper) quite funny. And often thinking 'there but for the grace of God go I' yet................. NO! ' I would NEVER have been that dumb as to try that jump from the house roof ( I would have tried it from the garage roof, or a tree or riverbank etc!):D

Every now and then for some form of perverse pleasure I watch 'The science of Stupid'   and you say to myself " what were they thinking" and then it dawns on me ...The probably weren't !

I don't have a problem when folk have a dig(think 'Mom, Frosty and Allan are picking on me again') at me (I think I'm old ,ugly and smart enough to defend myself) yet there are those that take offence easily so I try to be weary as to whom I take a friendly jab at. :rolleyes: Often it's cultural too South Africans, Aussies and Kiwis tend to have friendly jabs at their own and others imho anyway.  Then too there are those with whom,  were you to challenge them a duel. You then knowingly chose  wit & intellect as weapons, thus  leaving them totally defenseless.

Often when things are 'lost in translation ' especially with English to English I ask myself 'didn't you watch movies, TV or read comics and books when you were younger?' but it's probably more about comprehension too. Here I have to thank Mrs. Holmes my std.5 English teacher who placed the emphasis on comprehension rather that just reading skills. And I recon my parents too for encouraging questions too like " why are those guys putting a flatty on the Barbie" when its obviously a "N'kuku on the braai" and them explaining than in England on a summers day at 16 degrees C when you would be wearing a jersey (jumper/cardigan) the Poms would have their shirts off and putting a spatchcock chicken on the BBQ/grill     

16 Celsius = 60.8 Degree Fahrenheit

Edited by Glenn

Frosty, is there some confusion "up North" between 'safety rails' and 'impact bars' ? Love ya:D

It's a matter of perspective. If you slip and have to catch yourself they're "safety rails." If you trip and slam into one it's an impact bar. Of course if you smack into it but it keeps you from going over the edge then you impacted a bar of the safety rail. Of course I suppose an impact bar could be what you clout a lout with if the situation warrants.

No, no confusion here, form follows function.

Hey wait a second are you confusing impact bars with crash bars? Crash bars help keep the shiny parts on your motorcycle from getting marred if you lay it down. Nope, entirely different things.

Frosty The Lucky.

" why are those guys putting a flatty on the Barbie" when its obviously a "N'kuku on the braai"

Heres a good example of lost in translation. I could guess what it means and probably if I was to comment on something like this I'd find my foot in my mouth. Now I have to look up a couple words so I don't feel like a fool. Just to make my point, when I first read that I read, 'why are those guys putting a (clothing item) on a Barbie (doll).' I quickly realized however that the Barbie in question might be a barbecue meaning a 'flatty' is a type of food. That give me the impression it might be a hamburger. The 'n'kuku on the braai' I won't even hazard a guess.  

Like the curate's egg, it was good in parts...I understand the gist of the joke but not the acronym...is that your equivalent of our HSE (Health and Safety at Work department)? 

Alan

translation: An apprentice vicar was invited to tea at the big house in the village and was given a boiled egg which was  addled. When asked how the egg was he politely said "it is good in parts"...

Edited by Alan Evans