I Forge Iron

scrap storage

My drill press is mounted on a production table. Under that table I installed shelves. The shelves hold stock up to about 2'.

Under my welding table are two more racks, one for stock up to 6' and another for up to 8'. 

Find some core rolls from Christmas wrap or at the carpet store. Put them into a 5 gallon bucket and cut 1 inch below the the rim of the bucket. The bucket should hold several of the now short tubes. Drop pieces of similar shape into each tube. Works for 3-4 feet and under. If it is under a foot in length, you can use old metal paint cans for each shape. Just do not overload the system.

Better yet, why not adjust the project so there is no scrap. 20 feet is 4 each 5 foot pieces, 5 each 4 foot pieces, 10 each 2 foot pieces, 20 each 1 foot pieces, 15 each 16 inch pieces, and so on. NO SCRAP !!

Greetings Juke,

When I am at the junk shops or flea market I always buy up the scrap stainless water fire extinguishers .  I cut of the tops at different lengths for vertical storage of short stock.. Works great.  

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

I just hauled home another 15 drums. They are free standing, and portable with my forklift.  Cost of drums - free, a little welding, and done. The can be further deprecated with shelves to get even more use out of them. One wall is mostly tools, the other one is materials. The long stock is in crates, racks, etc.. The problem I have found with buckets, and cans is I usually end up dumping them out to see what all is in them. With the drums I can shuffle through the material pretty quick.

IMG_20140215_151706.jpg

I fill olive oil cans and other cans and just let the pieces drop in the sand. I find easily the small pieces I need. All my stee;l bars are stored standing, cut in 10 feet lenghts. The sand buckets are along the wall, grouped together. It works for me.Le_stockage_des_barres_de_fer..thumb.jpg

By the way, I forge in a silo. This pic  was taken when I began. There is a lot more steel there now.

Edited by yves

I store my stock similarly to Yves, vertical against the walls in 10' lengths, shorter lengths up to about 4' vertically in one of the tong/hammer racks on my little steel table and stubs in 5gl buckets where ever I put them.

It ain't elegant but it works.

Frosty The Lucky.

I finally located this picture of the pin rack we used to have on our work truck. We also made a stationary rack at the shop that was similar to hold extra pins. Short side was set up for pins 18" to 24" and the tall side normally held 30" to 36" pins, but occasionally would have a few 48" ones as well. The 48" ones were a bit top heavy and needed to be bungee corded to the upright. You can see some of those on the matching rack on the other side of the truck in the background. What's a little hard to se in that pict is that there is a divider in the center making each height bin two compartments.

I'll post picts of the shop rack a bit later. But it's designed along the same lines, but bigger.

IMG_0031.JPG

Edited by DSW

• 2 weeks later...

My goodness Kevin, everyone else is showing what looks like scrap storage and you come along and show us what looks like a retail outlet!:D They say ''jealousy makes you nasty'' and I'm jealous as all hell.

I keep trying to type K.e.v.a.n.  but the spellchecker keeps fixing it sorry.

Edited by ianinsa
trying to 'fix' the name

Here's the picts of the other rack.  It's a bit buried in leaves since it's been sitting out in the back of the shop now for the last 4 years since my buddy passed away. The short front bins were designed to hold 12" to 24" concrete pins. The rear bins were set up to hold 30" to 48" pins, and the whole thing was rigged so we could load it with a chain thru the holes up top if we needed to take the whole rack out to a job. I've got dibs on the rack as soon as they decide to keep or sell the remaining pins most of the tall 48" pins in the rack are actually mine.

DSCN4590.JPG

DSCN4591.JPG

Ian: You have spell correct enabled!?:o Mine only underlines words the ITs have never heard of in their basements but "usually" doesn't correct it. Every now and then one gets corrected but that's only on IFI. I'm still sorting through the odd interactions that occur that's one reason my posts are almost always edited.

KEVAN doesn't have a scrap storage area, that's materials storage if ever I saw it.  ATTA BOY KEVAN! The difference between scrap is in the definition, other people's "scrap" is blackemith's gold and a well organized gold reserve is a sign of someone who uses it.

My resources on the other hand are pretty  much tossed out of the immediate trip hazard zone. My bad, I know.

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

Frosty, now that you pointed it out , it seems to have  a lot more prevalence on IFI. I quite like the predictive bit here (on my tablet) and hate it on the phone(this one is on windows 8.1RT, and the phone windows 8.) and very different to use.

DSW, what's with the 'pins' would you please be so kind as to explain their usage, I'm very interested in understanding? Mushroomed tops? The series of small holes? Does the whacker(looks like a diesel model) relate etc.? And what sort of job would need a truckload of different sizes of those 'pins' are the concrete/cinder blocks (the unusual looking ones) related? Do you make them?

Charles, I thought you might have some sort of aversion to 'spellchecker and autocomplete/correction ' software!:D 

You drive then into the ground to support concrete form boards the holes are for the nails.

The auto correct here might just be getting ahead of my fingers and typing a word while thinking in sentences. My brain plays tricks on me that way. At least I don't say things I don't remember saying anymore, there for a couple years it was just plain weird.

And those boys and girls are two more good reasons not to let a tree hit you on the head.

Frosty The Lucky.

IAN. We must meet some time.

FROSTY. Have you totally recovered from that horrid accident with the tree?

CHARLES. You have no idea how wonderful it is to QUICKLY find whatever you are looking for without having to sift through 200lbs of rusted scrap. I keep from about 2 inches upwards.

IAN. We must meet some time.

​I'm keen, shall I pop out to your place on Tuesday? You're somewhere south of Alberton? And north of Paris?:D Henley on klip? Do you need /would you like a nice hammer?

Edited by ianinsa

You drive then into the ground to support concrete form boards the holes are for the nails

Frosty The Lucky.

Oh, sort of like jacks for prop posts and ledgers? But without the jacks, posts or ledgers?:D