I Forge Iron

Ladel blanks

jukejoint

and for people not familiar with them; these are not the plumbing pipe caps that screw on the end of pipe but disks that are sold to be welded to the ends of pipes to cap them off.  Sometimes they come slightly dished to start with..so more often found at places that sell steel for welding than at plumbing supply places in my experience.

I don't make ladles, but I do make spoons and I have a friendly fabricator cut blanks out of 6mm sheet with his cnc plasma cutter :)  I expect if I were to make ladles he would be able to do me a run of blanks with the handles or a stub that would start the handle pretty reasonably and aside from the forging needed I would have whatever shape I actually want 

More often than not ladels and spoons were forged from one peice of material.  The rivited on bowl is less common to see in old work though it was done.   I myself really enjoy peening out the bowl from thicker stock.  It gives me a sence of acomplishment but I don't make spoons for sale I tend to give them as gifts.

I have a friend cut my round blanks out on his CNC plasma table.

I used to cut them out by hand with tin snips, but as the required quantities went up it wasn't worth the wear & tear on my body to continue cutting them by hand, plus the time it took to manually cut them wasn't in line with my goals.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

All of the ladle bowls I formed and my students did was done on a block of 4"x4" end grain oak.  Cheap and easy to make and get.  We used the head of a RR spike red hot to rough form the bowl by burning.  A bit a carving with a gouge, then rough sanding, and we were ready to go.  Took less than a class period to prepare.  For copper work, they lasted a long time.  For hot steel work, they did burn, but were easy to reshape, or cut off the end and remake it, or just use the other end.  We never used an iron swage block.  The oak worked great.  When they were too far gone, I took them home and threw them in my wood stove.