I Forge Iron

A journey for this anvil

Anvils are a rarity in North Queensland, Australia, and I have been looking for one for some time. I've been using a pretty ordinary, well-worn old thing at my home forge. (Got a good Kohlswa at work)
I bought a nice one today. From New York! A 302# American Wrought in good original condition which was advertised on U.S. eBay. At $4.30 a pound it seems a good deal, especially compared to what is available here.
So it's in for a long overseas journey. Fortunately we have a container of vintage tractors coming over from Ohio later this year so the container will have a stowaway. The American Wrought is about to become an Australian citizen.
I am greatly indebted to an American friend who sourced this for me.
Don't know a lot about American Wrought; I believe it was an off shoot of Hay-Budden. Anyway, it's a quality anvil and I hope I can do it justice by forging nice things.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Black Frog is half right. It didn't happen. One minute you own a nice anvil, 12 hours later you don't. We accepted the guy's eBay 'Buy it Now' price, arranged secure payment through Paypal, arranged for pick up and delivery to Ohio - deal done.

Then another guy arrives with a station wagon and a better cash offer and the seller backs out of the eBay sale and sells it to him. Questionable ethics, but there are people like that.

I don't know if eBay works the same there as it does in Australia but it seems to me he will still have to pay the commission on the eBay selling price of $1300. And here, once you hit the "Buy it Now" button, the seller is under obligation to sell. I think some negative eBay feedback is heading his way.

But anyway, that's history now. The anvil has gone north, not south. We'll put that behind us and continue the search. Our friend in the U.S. was angry about the whole thing, and I believe he let the seller know. He told me on the phone this morning he is more determined than ever to source another quality anvil for export to Australia. He says there are still some out there.

Anyone know of a mid size PW or HB for sale? The closer to Ohio the better.

You are aware that in late September probably the largest annual blacksmith get together in the world takes place in Ohio---Quad-State.  We had one local fellow finally get to go---he bought *30* anvils and a trailer to haul them back on.  At US$4 a pound you would probably fill a container with anvils.

Well, Black Frog is half right. It didn't happen. One minute you own a nice anvil, 12 hours later you don't. We accepted the guy's eBay 'Buy it Now' price, arranged secure payment through Paypal, arranged for pick up and delivery to Ohio - deal done.

Then another guy arrives with a station wagon and a better cash offer and the seller backs out of the eBay sale and sells it to him. Questionable ethics, but there are people like that.

I don't know if eBay works the same there as it does in Australia but it seems to me he will still have to pay the commission on the eBay selling price of $1300. And here, once you hit the "Buy it Now" button, the seller is under obligation to sell. I think some negative eBay feedback is heading his way.

But anyway, that's history now. The anvil has gone north, not south. We'll put that behind us and continue the search. Our friend in the U.S. was angry about the whole thing, and I believe he let the seller know. He told me on the phone this morning he is more determined than ever to source another quality anvil for export to Australia. He says there are still some out there.

Anyone know of a mid size PW or HB for sale? The closer to Ohio the better.

You do realize that anvils are far more common and cheaper in England than in the US right? 

Artfist; They may be more common and cheaper in England but we don't have a container coming from there. While we have one coming from the U.S. I intend to have an anvil stowaway onboard.

Bob: Yes, a disappointment. We'll keep looking. Already had a good lead from an IFI contributor.

Vaughn: No, doesn't have to be PW or HB. Fisher is fine. I just don't want a piece of junk. Too many ASO's around. I would just like to work on something nice. It's taken a lot of ram's head pokers, leaf key rings, horse shoe hooks and junk art pieces to afford one.

Make sure that you contact Ebay with regard to the seller backing out and give them full details. When you hit the buy it now button you are fully covered under their policies and the seller not only will pay the commission fee but will probably be banned, which is deserved.

Make sure that you contact Ebay with regard to the seller backing out and give them full details. When you hit the buy it now button you are fully covered under their policies and the seller not only will pay the commission fee but will probably be banned, which is deserved.

Well, yes, but whatever I do now won't change the outcome; it's gone and that's that. I do feel a bit ripped off though, because a "Buy it Now" button means just that. Once it's hit it's bought. I can understand the temptation the guy had when another buyer turns up with the folding stuff in hand and a wagon ready to take it. He wouldn't have to wait for Paypal to clear and would avoid putting it on a pallet and strapping it (as he had agreed to do) for freight pick up.
Still, I hope he can sleep at night because I wouldn't be able to. Do unto others...

i would be contacting ebay mate, to me it adds up to some nasties that may end up with the law involved, who knows the nice people involved in the deal may decide it's better to put said anvil in the container for you, or at least wish they could.

eBay.co.uk has some good anvil prices at times.
They seem way better than here in the U.S.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACKSMITHS-FORGE-ANVIL-VINTAGE-INDUSTRIAL-METAL-ENGINEERING-TOOL-CAR-WORKSHOP-/131259003057?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e8fa570b1

4 CWT anvil - pickup only tho. Wish I was back in England!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/blacksmiths-anvil-/171409686141?pt=UK_Collectable_ToolsHasdware_RL&hash=item27e8d03e7d

Maybe you can find something that cab be shipped. Good luck in your hunt :)

Ausfire, have you checked the selection over at oldworldanvils.com?  The guy's got a stellar reputation and more than a few beauties in the stable.  He imports them from europe, so he's familiar with packaging anvils for overseas travel.  Just a thought.

Thanks Vaughn and Frog. Good suggestions - I will check those out. Our container is coming from Ohio. I see a HB anvil on eBay from Pennsylvania which looks pretty good. And that's the next state east isn't it?
I have never heard of Craig's List but will find out more. Old world anvils sounds interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I had better update this thread with some positive news. There is now an American anvil destined to make the journey to Australia. A 304# Hay-Budden, probably a bit heavier than I need for 90% of what I do, but that's OK. As an added bonus, the seller lives not too far from Ohio where our container is located. He has agreed to deliver it there around the time of the Quad States Conference.
So there ends the story.