I Forge Iron

Ideas for Reforging a 867lb anvil bick.....

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not cut the nose off and drill and tap the end and make attachments. One of which would be the new tip. You could then make all kinds of fixtures to mount for different jobs. Stakes would be great with that much mass behind them.

Adapting the anvil to do different tasks? Heresy I say!

But, that's not a bad idea. Though would the attachments work loose if you hit them?

Best of luck with the repair basher!

Andy

just thought i would have a bit of fun with your photo and give your anvil a nose job

post-22808-0-29030900-1394832684_thumb.j

post-22808-0-42541800-1394832700_thumb.j

i did a good bit of rebuilding on a 200lb pw with 7018 rod rough ground it to the shape i wanted and then finished it off with a good bit of draw filing once finished you cant see a color difference between the old wr horn and the new 7018

if i remember correctly i think i added about 2.5lb to the anvils weight by the end

7014 and 7018 are the US call outs for 70,000 psi tensile plain rods. The 7014 has a coating that causes it to chill faster and it builds faster as the coating also has metal in it. The 7018 is a low hydrogen all position plain rod. The 7014 is maybe a little easier to run and leaves a pretty nice deposit. The 7018 with a good DC machine leaves a very sound solid deposit. Rod of choice in the Boiler shop I worked in before Mig with dual sheild took over.

I think it will be quite hard to get that horn to temp and not get too much heat into the body of the anvil. I would weld.

Good luck

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know why everyone wants you to weld and grind on that old beauty. It was made by forging and it looks like that horn hasn't broken, it's just been worked to it's new shape. All the metal is there. If you don't like the shape, hit it with a hammer. 

• 5 months later...

well its finally done,

total weight is now 872 lb...

Matthew in the piccie did most of the work, between 2 and 3 days work so not worth it from an english perspective but does the anvil justice.....

I think it may well be a mousehole.?

final grind of the bick.

15641521507_57aba579f8_c.jpg

after clean up and polish

15828243712_7debd621a8_c.jpg...