I Forge Iron

PBS 10/25

It says on the website it is supposed to be playing tonight, but when I scroll through the cable all I can find is "Craft in america: Textiles" for around 3AM tomorrow morning, and then "Craft in america: Crossroads" the next morning.  I guess I'll just have to keep an eye out.

Looks like they are not showing this in Fairbanks... all I got to say about that is .... PHOOHEY!!!!  :(

Not too surprising Bryan. An educational channel in . . . Fairbanks!. <snicker> If your provider is as efficient as the one here you just can't believe the online  listing, heck you can't even count on it to be wrong. PBS has been advertising it between shows for a couple days now, might give it a gander. I'm keeping my fingers crossed airing hasn't been messed up here.

After the airing you should be able to download it off the PBS website. I have a number of Nova and Woodwright's Shop episodes but not the really early ones when Roy was at Williamsburg and working on projects with Peter Ross. Ironing the log sledge was a favorite of mine from years back. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

I love the episodes with Peter Ross on the Woodwrights Workshop.  I really liked the one about the upset corners.  He really explained the process well.  To bad he's not a member here.  He would be a great asset to our community. 

Well I'll see if I can find the episode online tomorrow or next week now that its going to be aired.  Thanks for the heads up though.  Its great to see our craft getting some air time.  Even if it is not airing in all markets.

After the airing you should be able to download it off the PBS website. I have a number of Nova and Woodwright's Shop episodes but not the really early ones when Roy was at Williamsburg and working on projects with Peter Ross. Ironing the log sledge was a favorite of mine from years back. <sigh>

Frosty  Popular Woodworking has a lot of the original Woodwright's Shop videos for sale either as individual episodes or on DVD by season. I've downloaded 2 or 3 of the old blacksmithing ones as well as a couple of the timber framing ones. I'm not familiar with that episode however. If you locate it, let me know so I can add it to my list to pick up some time.

http://shopclass.popularwoodworking.com/c-54-all-woodwrights-shop-channel-videos.aspx

The silversmithing was very interesting, but there was little regarding blacksmithing, sadly.

I just watched the episode.  I totally agree with arkie.  Someday the producers of these "craft documentaries" will be more creative in finding blacksmiths doing both traditional and non-traditional work.  Not to belittle Albert Palley, he is a giant in the field.  But even as he said, most of his work is just fabrication now, not "forging".  Overall, I was dissapointed in the episode.

Yes, sadly, ... and predictably, ... PBS chose to miss the point, ... in preference for yet another elitist's flight of fancy .....

And yes, ... the Silversmithing was the best part.

i waited the whole way through for the "FORGE" part, ..... and I'm still waiting.  :angry:

Yes, sadly, ... and predictably, ... PBS chose to miss the point, ... in preference for yet another elitist's flight of fancy .....

And yes, ... the Silversmithing was the best part.

i waited the whole way through for the "FORGE" part, ..... and I'm still waiting.  :angry:

I recorded the show and played it back later.  After the leadoff silversmithing, I just fast forwarded looking for traditional blacksmithing...never saw any, so at least I didn't have to watch the whole thing. :)

Frosty  Popular Woodworking has a lot of the original Woodwright's Shop videos for sale either as individual episodes or on DVD by season. I've downloaded 2 or 3 of the old blacksmithing ones as well as a couple of the timber framing ones. I'm not familiar with that episode however. If you locate it, let me know so I can add it to my list to pick up some time.

http://shopclass.popularwoodworking.com/c-54-all-woodwrights-shop-channel-videos.aspx

Thanks, I'll bookmark the site and take a gander.

Frosty The Lucky.