I Forge Iron

Anvil Temp.

I live over an hour from town and don't have a tempil stick on hand to tell me an anvil is preheated enough.

A fellow is coming over tomorrow to build up a little anvil I sold him. Somebody on here had a trick a while back of SOMETHING they put on an anvil and it burned off at around 350 degrees? Anybody remember that? Would sure be helpful! Thanks, Eric Sprado

It is suggested that extruded aluminum can be forged when sprinkled wood splinters are charring on the surface of the metal. That's going to be about 300F. The wood ignites between 400F and 500F.

Sayings and Cornpone

The reason we call some person a pill is because he/she is hard to take.

Lead Tin solder melts at arond 350.

Tin/lead solders, also called soft solders, are commercially available with tin concentrations between 5% and 70% by weight. The greater the tin concentration, the greater the solder’s tensile and shear strengths. Alloys commonly used for electrical soldering are 60/40 Tin/lead (Sn/Pb) which melts at 370 °F or 188 °C and 63/37 Sn/Pb used principally in electrical/electronic work. The 63/37 is a eutectic alloy, which:

1. has the lowest melting point (183 °C or 361.4 °F) of all the tin/lead alloys; and
  2. the melting point is truly a point — not a range.

Paper toasts in the 350f range, a wooden matchstick toasts in the 400f range. Paper turns black in temps en excess of 400f. wood chars in the 550f range Paper will catch fire around 454f (just like the book) wood ignites at around 650-700f depending on some variables but tooth pics are birch but so thin they'll light at lower temps. Wood matchsticks are sort of the standard.

If you can draw a matchstick across and it leaves a mark you're looking at around 400-550f. depending on the color of the mark and how fast you move the stick.

Dad used to be able to read temp very accurately with a white paper matchbook, no matches, he'd read temp by toasting colors, eg. faint tan up to charring to igniting. It takes practice. Doing test runs with the oven is a good method to learn this technique but buy a good quality oven thermometer as the thermostats aren't as accurate as we'd like.

Frosty The Lucky.

Paper turns black in temps en excess of 400f. wood chars in the 550f range Paper will catch fire around 454f (just like the book)

Frosty, I think you meant Fahrenheit 451, a novel by Ray Bradbury.

Ignition temperature is the temperature at which something catches fire and burns on its own. The ignition temperature of paper is 451 degrees Fahrenheit, or 233 degrees Celsius.

Many people know this value from the Ray Bradbury novel, Fahrenheit 451, an anti-utopian tale about a society where firemen are in charge of burning books instead of stopping fires. This number was also found in more technical sources, so it is assumed to be reliable.

Frosty, I think you meant Fahrenheit 451, a novel by Ray Bradbury.

Ignition temperature is the temperature at which something catches fire and burns on its own. The ignition temperature of paper is 451 degrees Fahrenheit, or 233 degrees Celsius.

Many people know this value from the Ray Bradbury novel, Fahrenheit 451, an anti-utopian tale about a society where firemen are in charge of burning books instead of stopping fires. This number was also found in more technical sources, so it is assumed to be reliable.

Right you are Glenn, 451f, Bradbury. It's that stupid TREE's fault I can't keep simple literary references straight. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

you pre-heat so that the weld does not crack.   A large cold anvil sucks the heat out of the weld so fast that the change in temperature and rapid contraction of the weld/base metal can cause a crack.    weld build up is to replace metal that is lost, chipped off etc.   Basically build up to original.

Cheers Frosty, you are doing much better than many of us would in your place.  Just glad you are still around. 

Thanks man. There's nothing like beating the reaper to let you  know just how lucky I am to wake up this morning. I am lucky beyond surviving, I still have my mind even with some issues I'm not sitting on a couch drooling on my jammies.  One of the many blessings to it was finding out how many people out there lent support. Without you and many other folk Deb wouldn't have been able to stand up to the pressure.

It's really humbling to learn how many people helped us, just the prayers alone give me pause. I never knew how many just pain GOOD folk are out there. Makes me proud to be part of the gang.

Life is GOOD.

Frosty The Lucky.