I Forge Iron

The Backyard Blacksmith

J W Bennett

The Backyard Blacksmith
ISBN 1-59253--251-9
176 page
Lorelei Sims

As the books title suggests this book is aimed at the backyard hobby smith. However I would recommend it to any smith at any level. Lorelei starts with the shop setup and tools and goes thru basic techniques, forge welding/joinery, tool making and then puts it all to use with well explained projects and lots of pictures of the details.
While none of this is new to blacksmithing "how to books" the high quality pictures and Lorelei's delivery of the material and her sense of humor make this book an enjoyable experience.
There are several corrections that Lorelei has acknowledged on her web site and will be addressed in the next printing.

Well worth both the price and your time,

John

JWBIRONWORKS, in total agreement! I have 6-8 blacksmith books and this is the best for newbies and oldies too! I am using it when teaching one day 'beginner' classes and recommend it to the students for refreshing and project ideas.

I rate this book a 10

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I bought this one at borders and really like the way it is written out from an experienced point of view that seems intended for the beginner/beginner-intermediate. She really shows how things can be done and the tips and tricks are great. The photography is really well done as well.

• 1 month later...

i bought it read it and passed it along to my friend , it was my first book and has many valuable lessons
just by her writing i can tell she is a person that can have fun while learning
i went to a blacksmithing demo and this kid had bad insect bites all over his body
and there is a section in the book that says the slack tub will heal these bites
i tried to convince this kid to get in the slack tub and take a bath.
his mama stopped him

• 2 weeks later...

Got mine bout a month ago. very very good at explaining the basics and getting you in the groove as it suggests. Easy to read and understand. Once I get farther along and become a lot better of a smith, ill probaly do a one day class for pertty much free and use the book as a guideline.....in a few years.

Not to make anyone jealous.... :)

I volunteer a week each year working at a summer camp on the campus of Eastern Illinois University, which just happens to be in Charleston, Illinois. Which just happens to also be where The Five Points Blacksmith Shop is located. I picked up my very own personally signed copy from Lorelei herself just shortly after it was published, and got to check out the shop while I was there. Wonderful lady to talk to, and a marvelous shop.

100_1056.JPG

"For Aaron- Thank you + happy Forging Lorelei Sims"

:) :)

-Aaron @ the SCF

• 10 months later...

i went to a blacksmithing demo and this kid had bad insect bites all over his body
and there is a section in the book that says the slack tub will heal these bites
i tried to convince this kid to get in the slack tub and take a bath.
his mama stopped him

I do believe the slack tub cure was for poison ivy.
I just finished reading the book. I really enjoyed it and found it very useful as a novice.

I have to say that I have read this book cover to cover more than 20 times. This book has been great for me. It gave me more than just the basics without overwhelming me with too much metallurgy. While I think there is much more in depth info out there. I think this book is one of the finest beginner and intermediate books around.
If you haven't read this one, do yourself a favor and find a copy. :)