I Forge Iron

True Confession :steel pipe sledge handle

Today , I did it ,,,I welded a 1- 1/4 " steel pipe ,30" long to a 10 lb. double faced sledge hammer head !! The short piece of the broken wood handle fit right inside the pipe and I welded it with E-7018 all the way around. Using the S.M.A.W. welding process. I am ready to read all the criticism this will get going. Oh,, (horror) the pipe was galvanized! Sorry RT.

We have a ball-peen hammer in the workshop with a steel pipe handle welded to the head.

It was already like that when it entered the workshop in 1980, is being used regularly and is still going strong. The pipe handle is also useful as a bending tool.

We see that a lot out here for landscapers using "undocumented" workers. They don't care about long term problems; but do want something that will resist being broken so the worker can take a rest. (My brother runs a landscape business using a lot of day labour and tool breakage is *amazing*.)

Well I have a 6# sledge with a short pipe handle but I was working as maintenance in a food factory at the time and needed a bigger hammer I could take out into the production area. They wouldn't allow wood handled tools in the production area, but there were wood pallets every where. Go figure.

Please, please tell me it was a paying job done to the customer's spec, and not something you did for yourself. Where are your standards, man? Or did Hurricane Isaac leave behind mutant junkie termites?

I must confess, I have done similar jobs, like welding up 1" rebar handles to 4lb sledges for concrete form workers. And when we both heated with wood, my father-in-law was sure death on wood splitting mauls and sledge hammer handles, so I bought a Monster Maul in defense. (Foam grip covered pipe handle on a 12lb wedge head. Marvelous!)