I Forge Iron

New "industrial" swage block, demand?

JNewman

For a few years now I have considered whether it would be worth while make a pattern and start having cast a block with square, round and slotted holes maybe a 1 1/8" hex (common pavement breaker size) rather than dishing and spoon shapes. It would be cast in Ductile iron so would not have the potential of breaking like the old ones. A couple of people have asked me recently about having a block with square holes for upsetting tools into, so this has recently come to mind again. A block with holes can be really handy for upsetting shoulders around tenons, slitting, punching and drifting.

A block with holes would cost more per pound than one with dishes etc as setting the cores to make the holes takes more labour, but I think I could keep the price reasonable for a block about 60-70lb. I am thinking of about 3-3.5" thick as it will allow a little more surface for holes, and the extra thickness is not needed for strength due to using ductile iron.

A lot of the old blocks have quite a few hexes on the outside which I don't think there is a lot of demand for these days, maybe one or two. But I am leery of putting a lot of features on the outside that would not be common on an older block as some of the people who would be interested in a block with holes might want it for a period shop.

Anyone have thoughts?

This is a really great project. I think you could keep almost the same forms around the block as your other blocks but with some holes in the middle for the reasons you have listed. With square and round holes of commons sizes.
There is an industrial block from alku store: http://www.euroforgings.com/shop4.php?pageNo=1&id=4584
In my opinion, there is a little too much holes in it but if you're planning to make a 60-70 lbs, it will be better. The one they're listing weights 176 lbs and come from Czeck Republic if I'm correct.

Just my two cents.
If you make a block like this, I will certainly buy one.

What do *you* consider "reasonable"?

I have not talked to the foundry yet and it depends on demand but I would guess about 10- 20% more per pound than the 60lb blocks I currently sell. Blacksmith Depot sells them in the US. The foundry will want more to make and set the cores and I need to make coreboxes that will go on Laempe core blowing machines.

If I went ahead with this, it would likely be several months at a minimum because all the boxes will take a while to make in my spare time and then samples have to be made and gating often has to be adjusted, and lead time at foundries is often 4-8 weeks.

WARNING: Norton security software told me that the euroforgi.. website tried to attack my computer when I went to that web site.

I got the same warning another Blackhole Expoit. Apperently they are targeting commercial and forum sites from what I've been reading about it. Sure glad I have good software.

Fred Moore from Mountian Aire, New Mexico was bringing in sand cast "holy swege blocks" from Mexico and selling them at Quad State for a few years. Year before last (2010) he told me that he wouldn't be bringing any more. These weighed about 80# and he sold them for about $125.00. Ruff casting but they do the job. I sure am glad that I got mine. I'm sure that David can give you good info on how well to expect them to sell. Get about a dozen made up and bring them to Quad State and see what happens. I bet you won't be taking any home.

I know there are several folks here in the swage block poor regions that would be interested in one..It seems some places like the northwest and the northeast have more (more industrialization)..I can tell you the names of at least one dozen smiths here "locally" that have never run across a industrial block in this area(or a cone)..Many have 20 years in too..

Not trying to be a wet blanket but industrial users typically make single use tools for a particular application and hobby smiths often don't want to give up the coin for expensive new tools.

With that said, I've always thought some smaller units would be the ticket for affordable swage blocks. For example, you could have a 25 lb rectangular block with one square/round/rectangular hole in the center and one shape on each side. Cheaper to ship and maybe more affordable for the hobby person (they buy 4 over the course of a year at $100 each rather than drop $400 all at once). The professional might be more likely to buy the one needed for the job rather than a big one with shapes that aren't immediately required.

Just my two pence, FWIW...

It's difficult finding a foundry that would spend the time to make nice square holes that wouldn't need broached after casting. Personally, I think a nifty stand that holds 3x3 blocks one inch thick, and individual holes per plate, waterjetted right to shape, might make more sense for budget minded buyers. They could buy the shapes they need as demand dictates.

Personally, I think a nifty stand that holds 3x3 blocks one inch thick, and individual holes per plate, waterjetted right to shape, might make more sense for budget minded buyers. They could buy the shapes they need as demand dictates.

Now, that's an idea I could really get behind.

I'd like to get a big swage block. But, I can't imagine what I'd do with all that potential. As a tinkerer and hobbyist, I could probably put a quarter of a large block to reasonable use. The rest is just there as ballast.

Now, give me something modular so that I can shape a shoulder or form a rivet head.... that's right up my alley. I'm not working large stock and my projects are more geared towards learning the various aspects. If I could buy a "modular" swage block, say a 3"x3"x1.5" slab with one or two holes and perimeter shapes that would get me by, that would be great. I can build a stand and quickly and easy swap out the various inserts depending on what I'm doing.

There's a guy on Ebay that sells swage "sides" with a hardy shank on them and I've often thought of buying one or two just to see how good them might work. My only fear is the quality and how they'll take hammer blows if the bottom isn't fully supported by a very flat anvil face.