I Forge Iron

French Inspired dividers

This pair is inspired by a couple of pairs of french dividers I saw for sale on e-bay. The french style seem to go for big bucks so I went with the old blacksmith's motto if you can't afford one make one. They are made form some wrought iron Mark Emig and I salvaged of an rotting old hulk of a barge on the banks of the Hudson river back in May They have steel tips and the joint is forge welded, three welds in all. The washers were forge brazed in place not sure if this is the right way but it worked. I am very happy with the results. These took about 8 hours in all. I did the file work intuitively there was no drawing.

post-2348-0-55073300-1341763684_thumb.jp

post-2348-0-97368600-1341763695_thumb.jp

Very nice dividers, what is equally inspiring is you made these for you after spending the rest of the week in the shop forging for customers. I often find it hard to force myself to find the time to make things I want to make.

I worked on it for an hour or two after shop hours or on weekends. It took me 2 1/2 months to finish this one. I have been doing some very tedious work lately. This has been my reward to my self. I feel if I can't try new things I wont grow as a smith/artist/human. I almost feel that I have make things like this because I can.

timothy they are just beautiful! i cant at all imagine making something so delicate and perfect, i have total respect for the work youve done there, and i Love how youve decorated them, you didnt need to do that but you chose to :) makes them so special! imagine coming across these in 100 years time.. your absolutely right about trying new things all the time. the learning is the addictive thing. nice one timothy :)

Yowzer! Tim, Mate! that's fantastic. I hope you feel proud of yourself, because you've done a wonderful job on these...and as Beth said, you've created an heirloom. You can pass this onto your kid's kids...

• 1 month later...