I Forge Iron

Well Here Goes

Starting 7/30/12 I will be a full time artist blacksmith. Not an easy decision to leave a good paying job with benefits but I'm not getting any younger either. I invested everythimg I've made smithing back into my smithing. My shop is well equipped and I have a steady client base. I will have to adjust my lifestyle considerably but I need to lose weight and I actually like Campbells soup with white rice thrown in to thicken it up.

Wish me well,

John

JW, Its been said that fortune favors the bold. Congratulations on your decison. Its also been said that one who loves what they do, never works a day in their life. Beans + rice are a perfect protein, add exercise, a lot of water and wieight loss will follow. All the best in your endevours.

Peter

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and the tip on the top ramen:o) I spent the day making a laminated base out of 2x10's ripped down the center for the beaudry to get it at a more comfortable working height and then I built a jig to align/level a balcony railing. I hate wood you can't weld it back together when you cut it to short;o/
I hope to be at Stans late Saturday. I am scheduled to demonstrate at the IBA meeting Aug 18th so I will be leaving from there and heading to Stans.

John

Hey John,

Good luck with going at it full time!

Looking at your profile you like motorcycles too. Just an idea, but what about making some custom hand forged brake/clutch levers, foot pegs/highway pegs and sissy bars. Maybe have them chromed after forging or just a solid paint job. Most of the Harley models don't seem to change that much over the years, a bit of research may show which models have used the same mechanical connection of the levers and such. Light and mirror brackets may be the easiest mechanicaly to adapt to a design.

Well, just an idea.

Caleb Ramsby

Good luck with the forging. I think you are doing the right thing.

Btw. Just as a tip, try to implement a gallery function on your home page (example Highslide), I tried to look through the gallery and it takes a bit of time clicking on each thumbnail and then "back", instead of having a gallery slideshow function.

Cheers
/E

Going into the Blacksmithing Business

To make the decision to go into business full time so that it will be your only income is a huge step in your life.

From reading your post it sounds as though you have prepared yourself for the challenge. Good on you!!

It took me three times to finally make a business (Blacksmithing/welding) profitable. I supported my family, but it took me extra long hours each day to make it pay off.
I quickly found that I did not have sound business savvy, although I was a fairly good blacksmith/welder. I had to learn a lot of lessons the hard way with additional un-necessary sweat, worry, long hours, and being chained to my shop. I lost the joy of blacksmithing/welding due to the pressure of having to make each second count that equated to money in some way. All because I was not prepared and did not know it.

I share my thoughts about diving into a business full time for the sake of other blacksmiths/welders who are thinking in this same direction.
My views are aimed especially toward anybody who is supporting a family or others who depend on them for their livelihood.

The pressure of having to provide for a family who depends on you is a double edged sword. It can work for you by giving you the incentive to work harder and longer. But if you are not fully prepared properly, it can push you to a point beyond just stress which is not all bad.
But DIS-STRESS should be avoided. It will eat up your health, wealth and happiness.
PREPARATION
I can assure you that as life unfolds for a small business man there will be lean times, and times of abundance.
I have been aware of other people who had a lot more business savvy, craftsmanship skill, and better tools than I ever had who at times were forced to tighten their belts.
I say all of that to say this; when I went into business for myself, or worked as an hourly blacksmith, my time and efficiency skills were quickly challenged. I had to step up to the plate and work smarter. That is called training. Training is the key. Training is the key. Training is the key. Training is the key. Training is the key.

Time is money. Proper training is the key to accessing the money! Efficient tools equal time saved, which equals money. Your management and business skills equal money (or not). Your ability to purchase steel stock in bulk quantities equal money.

I only mention a few overview aspects that need to be addressed in detail if a person is going to be able to support his self, his family, his shop insurance, health insurance, his steel supplier, his welding supply house, lease or home and or shop payments, vehicle insurance, vehicle payments, special needs for his family such as food, clothing, water bills, power bills, gas bills, phone bills, his government, his county and state, additional money for your children’s school tuition and events, only to mention a few.

When I fully understood the true weight of the financial demands of some of the aforementioned financial responsibilities that were placed directly on my shoulders (that is to produce financial profit out of raw steel via my business and craftsmanship skills) something changed in me about my perception of the craft of blacksmithing/welding.

Every minute became important. I could not afford the luxury of tapping my toes while I was waiting for each piece to heat up.
I had to learn how to plan each day so I could forge compatible work pieces so I could continue to be hammering and have another piece ready “at heat” in the forge at all times.

Over time, thank goodness I found my nitch in the business and blacksmithing/welding became fun again.

I would give the following thoughts to anyone who is considering to staring their own business.

1. Learn the basics of the craft well.
I used to say “Repetition is the Mother of Skill” and thought I had covered all bases.
But as I was reading a post at one time when someone else was talking about how practice was important, I read what Rich Hale (who is a person I respect and is a highly skilled craftsman) added something like this! “Perfect Practice” …
Now I say that Perfect Practice and Repetition is the Mother of Skill.

Rich emphasized how important it was to do it correctly every time because you are developing muscle memory and habit!

Many people are un-aware of the fundamental training that is required to skillfully and safely apply the necessary skills of the blacksmith craft.

A skilled blacksmith makes forging look easy because his steps have been previously measured and honed with countless hours of training and practice of how and when to apply each basic step in the order of operations to accomplish the desired outcome.

2. I suggest that you add a good welding class to your foundation.

3. Study about Business

4. Have a business plan, follow and adjust your business plan.
You need a map of where you are going if you were planning to travel
across a large country. By using a good map, the more likely you will
not get lost.
The same is true for your business.

I hope the very best for anyone who starts into their own business that they will prepare themselves for it!
Ted Throckmorton

Thanks to everyone and especially Ted for your insight. I continue to learn everyday and discovered the power of listening years ago. I suspect that I am not near as far along in my education as I think I am, short comings will be evident as I go.

Once again thanks Ted,

John

Good luck!! I have been a full-time traditional Smith for long enough to know better, and still at it. Two things. The primary difference between master and journeyman.smith is the ability to run a business, and learn to cook air in at least 5 different ways, that way youwill always have a varied diet. :) I am 6'2 and weigh in at 3 lbs. Works for me.

Heard the joke about the blacksmith? "What's the difference between a large pizza and a blacksmith? A large pizza can feed a family of four..."

Black humor aside, good luck and it can be done as long as you can stay creative, flexible, and focused. Build a rainy day fund from day one. Ted's advice about a business plan and sticking with it is golden. Never lower your quality or your prices for a quick sale, your integrity is paramount. All of the rich people in your area know each other, all of the architects in your area know each other, and all of them will talk about you amongst themselves at some point. What they say has to be consistent and good.

Finally, the late great Bill Gitchner alway said "Never take down your WELDING sign."