I Forge Iron

Business cards

I did a search looking for business card ideas and came up with nothing, I was quite surprised no one had posted such a topic before, and I cant seem to quite decide on mine, so I would like to see some of yours for inspiration. Let's see em ladies and gents.

Heres what I have thus far, Havent decided on the stripe color or if I even want the stripe.

post-12394-0-36969200-1330150987_thumb.j

A lot will depend on what you want your card to do for you. I had a Rolodex when I had my shop, and certain cards really stood out in the stack. With the digital age, many cards are scanned then tossed , so you don't want to spend a lot on a throwaway item. Personally I like cards, and have a 3 ring binder that has card holder pages for all of my contacts.

I have been thinking of getting some cards , and here are my criteria;

Good cardstock. Had too many cards that self destructed when carried in a wallet.

Matte surface, shiny is too hard to write on with most pens.

Section on back left blank to write notes on.

Simple to the point design, and easy to read text. It's a card, not a novel.

Actual printing, not inkjet which runs when it gets damp.

My original business card was a bright yellow green. When we moved, and had more "professional" toned down looking cards made, one customer commented that he liked the old color better, as it made it easy to spot in the Rolodex.

A card can say a lot about the business by how it feels, and looks. Thin flimsy cards that are done on a home computer may be fine when getting started, but a card that has some stiffness, texture, and is well laid out can present you as a professional to a potential customer. Basic info on a card is; Business name, your name, basic service / product offered, and contact info- phone, email, Facebook, QR code, or whatever you use.

Here is mine. I like it! I designed it myself in Photoshop and print it on my inkjet printer (Canon). I used to spray the printed sheets with shellac but have found the newer inks to be water resistant enough without such treatment. It takes some time to cut them out with scissors or a good paper cutter, but I only use a few dozen per year so it works well for me. If I needed larger quantities I would have them printed by a printer that can work directly with digital files (many if not most can nowdays). I use heavy card stock (120 lb.). I leave the backs unprinted and use that for any notes or references (handwritten). I use regular cardstock which is a matte surface and layout 12 cards per sheet.

post-5493-0-89862700-1330174541_thumb.jp

VistaPrint seems popular with both the local blacksmith guild as well as its members. If memory serves me, I got 500 full-color cards for about $10. The card has the image of my book cover on the left and my name and contact information on the right. I used one of the VistaPrint templates for the cards design. Not exactly what I would like to have for the placement and size of font, but it gets the job done. .... I would highly recommend against a black background, because you can't write on it, and I feel that bright colors convey a more upbeat feeling.

I do like photo business cards but in this case felt that less is more.
Layout in P-shop.
Saved to jpeg and then inserted into an MS Word Avery label form.
Printed with inkjet on Avery business card stock with glossy front.
Backside is uncoated for writing notes.
Modified my anvil and hammer in Pshop for logo.

Allen

post-105-0-79893300-1330181104_thumb.jpg

-Sitting Ready To Meet Needs You Don’t Even Know You Have-

Lies Told * Junk Sold * Races Fixed * Metaphors Mixed * Beer Brewed * Governments Sued

Complaints Aired * Fortunes Shared * Pigs Rented * Rumors Hinted * Mud Slung * Insults Flung

Cars Towed * Debts Owed * Riots Started * Money Parted

Gary L. Moore

Archaeologist, Occasional Curmudgeon,

And

Would Be Blacksmith

732 Old Apple Valley Road * Lyons, CO 80540 * 303-823-5703 (H), 303-882-0032 ©

Bachelor of Arts, Master of Arts (Colorado State University), Lechery of Arts (Old Codgers State)

Doctor of Divinity (Universal Life Church)

Register of Professional Archaeologists

Sometimes Teacher * Mail Order Preacher

Would Be Writer * Windmill Fighter * Aged Caver * Memory Saver

Newspaper Stringer * Vocal Left Winger * Muckraker * Trouble Maker

Dealer in and Facilitator of:

Used cars * Honky-Tonk Bars * Fractured Rocks * Shattered Pots * Used Cows * Broken Vows

Counterfeit Bills * Gambling Skills * Whiskey Jugs * Coffee Mugs

Misspelled Words * Conjugated Verbs

EXPERT AND PROMPT SERVICE

If you can’t stay young, at least stay immature

Credit Cards, Blank Checks, Coins of the Realm, Gold Nuggets, Servitude, and Dead Fowl Accepted

OK gota ask how did you come up with the name IronWolf ??

For me it was a dur I have welded since 1977 & I have had lots of wolfs as pets over the years
& a pack of 11 @ one time lol :<) that was a bit much though $$ - i have 3 now

PS --My forge name you guessed it IronWolfforge Biss card logo yep anvil with wolf still working on that lol

Thanks for the advice so far guys, I didnt even consider the ability to write on the card I will have to make sure the backside is white and not gloss. IronWolf I used to own wolves as well, beautiful creatures I even have one tattooed on my ribs, but I live on the highway now and I dont like leaving my dogs chained or penned so until I move onto my acreage no more outside dogs for me. And Im a farmer a mechanic and a firefighter so before I started smithing most of my life was spent making large chunks of iron do what I want haha.

i operate an ortamental iron and steel works business, mine have an anvil in the back round, with a gold outline of said anvil and cards amd then its just this:

West Plains Iron and Steel Works
Coulton Baker
Founder/Operator
(417) 372 3517
blacksmithingmountainman@gmail.com
We deal in ortamental iron and steel!

thats it, ive talked to a friend of mine here at my highschool who has a computer design class and i got like 500 for 10bucks. theyre great because theyre easy to write on, dont bleed and dont tear easy (i dunno what they do to em) the only problem is that he isnt exact when he cuts them. if your looking for some, talk to a teacher in said vocational class at the highschool near you, might do the same.

Since you asked and I just had these made up a few weeks ago ....LOL

Not Blacksmithing specific,but then this is a new direction for me...just different metal work... I picked the electric 8-Ball because I'm making a large 4' steel sphere into a sign painted to look like an 8-Ball ....the electrical sparks sorta looked like they should be included considering I do some welding...

250 of these were $16

post-23680-0-24730400-1330209384_thumb.j

I've seen card stock that "looked" & "felt" like metal ...actual metal would have to be so thin it would be sharp on the edges and deform easily... Now the "look alike" card stock could still be embossed and would still give the impression of a metal card... Cool idea for sure.

I checked... Obviously someone else thought it was cool too...Lots of designs for such a card...Just one example.. http://www.zazzle.com/worn_riveted_metal_grunge_textured_business_card-240116066144019863

My card has a "flames" background. I want the folks to remember that I work with fire just seeing the card.

I use vistaprint too and hand them out like broadcast sowing of wheat! (So much so that I often have to hit up my apprentice for a card to hand out cause I've handed out all of mine.)

Here's one company that laser cuts business cards from metal. http://metalcards.com/

I remember Grant Sarver had a metal one. Said it stayed on top of the card pile to hold the others down.

That's awesome- expensive, but awesome! I'd probably have those for my more "serious" cuistomers, and use something a little more flimsy (ie- cheaper) for the others.