I Forge Iron

How to forge a bird?

It would be helpful to know what type of bird you want to make, Hawk, Duck, Goose, Sparrow, etc. You want wings out as if in flight, or close to the body as if at rest? Repose' or solid bird? We need more information.

Practice with modeling clay first. Once you can use your hammer, anvil, and other tools to make the bird you want, you will already have a good idea how to make the same bird out of metal.

yes - you can see something on his nose and tail cant you.... it was within a lot of photos of forged work so i was led astray into wondering if it could have been. if it was cast, i suddenly dont think it s so great...!

Consider forging out of tube with forged legs and wings suitably attached, Good practice in the use of the fuller, otherwise repoussed in two halves and brazed/welded together as in weather cocks.

It would also be possible to forge it out of flat plate with appropriate chasing for wings eyes beak etc, then curve it and forge into the body shape with its little sticky out legs to secure it to the perch.

In the interest of giving more ways to skin a cat, here's a bird that I do. 1/8" plate cut out flat, head dished from the inside out, body rolled in, tail flattened and textured, beak drawn out. Might well scale up to what you are after, play with the various dimensions of your flat blank for different shaped birds.

post-6738-0-02271900-1317512161_thumb.jppost-6738-0-28620300-1317512185_thumb.jp

In the interest of giving more ways to skin a cat, here's a bird that I do. 1/8" plate cut out flat, head dished from the inside out, body rolled in, tail flattened and textured, beak drawn out. Might well scale up to what you are after, play with the various dimensions of your flat blank for different shaped birds. post-6738-0-02271900-1317512161_thumb.jppost-6738-0-28620300-1317512185_thumb.jp

Thats exactly what I meant JY but with the legs attached at the initial cutting out operation. Nice job

Those are very cool Judson and the technique is pretty straightforward for the effects. This would be a good way to forge sea critters, say dolphins, whales, fish, etc.

There've sure been some great birds posted, thanks all.

Frosty the Lucky.