I Forge Iron

Well, I had my first Craft fair on Saturday.... and i can safely say that it went very very well! i sold over half my stock.
I learnt a few things in the process.... what sells well, what doesnt.... what needs to be where to grab the potential buyer's attention etc..
Hearts are probably what made me the most money, i sold about 20 of them ( even better when they are pendants ) Hooks are great too, heavy duty hooks, Toasting forks were a hit, i wish i had made more of them as were pokers... Bottle openers were good, sold a half dozen of them, And also Hair/Hat pins!! they were a REAL hit...i definitely wish i had made more of them....
So things to regret but on the whole, i am very very pleased with what came out of 7 hours of tiring smiling, answering silly questions, saying " Yes, I made all of this " 150 times, then having to repeat it because they didn't believe me.
If you are about to do your own first craft fair, do NOT underestimate how tiring it is. A day's hard forging is child's play compared to a day at a craft fair.
sorry, these aren't great pics, just what i had o the computer right now... i will upload more detailed ones later

alec

post-12770-0-54224300-1314011813_thumb.jpost-12770-0-16725900-1314011817_thumb.jpost-12770-0-22662600-1314011819_thumb.jpost-12770-0-16556600-1314011822_thumb.j

Well done Alec, Small things sell well, (you don't need a lot of space to store/transport them either)

You did your homework well in preperation,

Well made and well finished items

Prices on is also key, as is payment methods, if you have chip'n'pin facilities you will make more sales, particularly on higher value items,
Most people don't carry large amounts of cash or cheque books these days, but do use plastic.

Well presented and a smile, If you always go with the attitude "I am here to enjoy myself and sales are secondary) it will help to keep the smile on your face, and encourage potential customers to stop and chat.

I think you done good, keep up the work and I wish you all best for the future.

There is nothing worse at a Craft show than the stallholders who are feeling miserable about sales/weather, how much money its cost them to be there, too busy having their cups of tea/lunch etc and its reflected in their attitude and aura's, and people tend to steer clear of them

I can honestly say that is the best blacksmith display booth I've ever seen! Nice and orderly and well presented.

Craft shows are tiring, you got that right! LOL

You do some amazing work! Do you have an instructor?

Only one suggestion! I've read and learned from experience that a lot of people feel a little shy about walking up to a table with you sitting behind. For some reason it makes them feel intimidated. You might try placing your table to one side of your tent while you sit up in the front corner on the aposite side. You'll get the shy folks then.

You definately have to answer those five million silly questions ten million times! LOL

Good luck with your future endevours!

Excellent display of a beautiful inventory. Very informative to know that people really favored those smaller items. I've seen large items at art shows that left some people wondering how they were going to get it home.

I'm happy to see you had the endurance to make it through all the obligation of looking after a booth. I've heard people talk about how exhausting that is. If I tried to do a weekend art show, I'd be afraid I woundn't make it to work on Monday. LOL. Good job and thanks for posting. Spears.

I'm glad it went well. In my experience you sell some stuff well, then make a bunch of it for the next one and find that other stuff sells at that one! Last one I went to I threw in some stuff that I had not planned to take because it hadn't sold in several years. But I was low on inventory and so added it to bulk out the display and sold out of them at the original price!

Having something fairly small and cheap that even a kid can get is a good idea. And I use my business cards as the price tags---punch a hole in one corner and writes the item name and price on the back. That way everybody who buys something from me knows where to get more of it---or if someone asks where they got it they can tell them!

Thank you all for the wonderful comments, guys!!
And, i did have business cards and the price labels all had my business card stuck to the back! And because of giving out a business card to someone who wanted a few dozen napkin rings, she is coming over to talk more in detail about what she is looking for. And someone else also wanted some hair pins to give out as Christmas presents!
Apart from spending an amazing 12 days with Brian Brazeal in Mississippi i am mostly self taught, Dave ... I make it all on my own in my wonderful shop! I tried to make it as unintimitating as possible by giving massive " welcome " smiles to every one that walked by.... Boy, was that tiring !
I had time to sit down only for the first picture of the day... After, I was on my feet, trying to lure punters! :D
Thanks, GB ... they are of my own design! yes, i sold all the ones that were on sale, including one GIANT snail!!!
Thanks spears
Thanks Thomas
Thank you very much John also!!! this is why i was missing your event this year!!

i just got back in from the shop after having forged three pairs of tongs... fun fUN FUN!!!

thanks guys, again

alec

Your work looks great! I hope to be able to do a show someday, but for now i'm just starting out with little gifts for friends and family. Do you have a pic of the hair pins? That sounds like an excellent idea for the "make this someday" book i'm apparently compiling! (and something I think my wife would like!)

alec - you rule :) your so motivated and enthusiastic - as well as skilled well beyond your years! no wonder you sold and will continue to sell. if you were my son or friend or whatever i would be extremely proud of you and the high quality of what youre selling :) like john said - the smile also makes a massive difference - it shows a refreshing lack of cynicism. alec - you do actually rule!..

Love the close-ups! You amaze me!

Yes I don't think you will have a big problem about shy folks regardless of your set up for now. No offence, you've got youth going for you. When I was 14-15 I put a tip basic in front of my anvil during demos. I made a KILLIN' that way.......I've got hair on my face and a deep voice now, and it doesn't work anymore.

Once again great pieces!

You have to "seed" the tip jar, and keep it looking like it needs another dollar. This takes some effort, since you also want to not look like you are managing the contents of your tip jar to maximize tips. I don't care if you are making coffee or playing a guitar or working an anvil, it is the same principle.

That is an impressive spread you have there Alec. I see that you have been inspired by others, and have some that I have not seen before.

Phil

Alec, Nothing left for me to add, everyone has said it all. That was a steep learning curve. Working with the public can be very tiring but when it goes right very rewarding too. Your positive attitude and enthusiasm along with your excellent work will always be successful, so long as you keep on enjoying it. The questions are tiring but having no one to ask the questions is demoralising. Keep on smiling and that will never happen to you. Well done Alec !!!!

Great job Alec

I take it you were not doing any demonstrations at this show? I did one at a small town's restored Blacksmith shop back in April with a brick forge and a huge wood and leather bellows. It was great I enjoyed using the old equipment but using the bellows did turn into a lot more work then using an electric blower. Think goodness I had my grandson with me to work that part.

I sold a good amount of things here too with the help of my daughter, as they never had anyone selling things before so that was something new for them. I maybe going back and doing it again in October and December if the group OK's it, this will be a first for them. April has been the only time they have opened the shop for demonstrations as they have had trouble finding someone to work. So I have been trying to get them to open more and have offered to work when ever they do.

I would really like to know how you make the hearts. I have an idea from the pictures but wold rather be right then guess that is if you don't mind passing that along. Again great job
billp

Hi all,
Sorry for not replying earlier...
My Great Grand-mother passed away last night at the magnificent age of 94. She had a great life, and led it 100% happy. So I have been a bit preoccupied as you can imagine. As my family are still coming to terms with it. She passed very peacefully.

The snails are of my design ( as far as I know ) you can make them out of what ever really... For the small ones I use a foot and a bit of half ( or 5/8 I can't remember ) by eighth of an inch flat .... But really, you can make them out of any thing. When they fit those proportions though, they are better looking IMO. You can use what ever length also, you just adjust the size of shell.
Thank you all for your very kind words about my craft fair! Greatly appreciated!
I have already had 5 or six commissions for various items!

alec

Sorry to hear about your Great Grand-grandmother, please extend my condolence's to your parents. 94 She had probably turned a blower or pumped a bellows herself.

We are all proud of you Alec, We have always said the more you learn the more you learn. Just think, in no time you will be passing all of us up. (if you have not already)

Sorry for your loss Alec. I never knew my grandparents as they all had passed by the time I was born, or soon after. You are lucky to have been able to have spent some time with yours. You do some great work, and I wish you all the success in the world with your new endeavor.

For hearts I saw a pretty quick way of doing them at a Ren Faire. The smith was making heart shaped Unicorn shoes out of regular horse shoes. The way he did it was to fold the shoe in half vertically, then flattened the curve out till it was totally straight. Once that was done, he drew down the top ends to point them some , the folded toe was then drawn down to a longer point. Once the ends were drawn down he recurved them into half of a heat, and then unfolded it into its final heart shape. This kept both sides uniform through the whole process. The Unicorn shoes sold pretty well for him. He also did kilt pins that went well. He could knock out 4 of each in 15-20 minutes, the same amount of time it took his wife to tell a blacksmithing story while he was working. When he was done the items he had just made were given away in a drawing. Each audience member got a free ticket as they sat down.

Can you get some close ups of the hat pins? How long do you make them, and how thin is the pin part? Again, excellent job!