I Forge Iron

Thank you all for your wonderfully kind comments! So so greatly appreciated!
Thanks Lyle!
BGD i will make some hat/hair pins tomorrow ( i have a commission for a few ) of varying designs and i will snap some pics.
Have fun Greenbeast!
Yes, John.... There will!

really sorry to hear about your great granny - what a good age to reach though! i hope she had a good grip of how you were doing with all this before she went on her long journey - she must have been extremely proud! i dont know what you think but i reckon most of them can see whats going on at least at some point when they are gone - im sure you will give her plenty of entertainment! would love to see your hat pins too.... :)

I know I'm late again my life's story but I too want to express my condolence for your loss It's good she was happy and led a full life I know you are sad but proud may God be with you.

Also thank you for all your help and information, it has give me some new ideas for my up coming demos and will really help
thanks again
billp

• 1 month later...

Alec,

Very nicely done. And, thank you for describing the items that have a high turnover rate. There is a lot of merit to the "smile is the sale" advice.

Daniel and I just returned from his first professional outing at a local farmers market. We joined at the last minute and so had no inventory what-so-ever. We showed up with anvil, hammers, forge and steel and Daniel pounded away for the entire four hours of the market. Waiting on heats of his wares he would pound out for free; little swords from masons nails for the kids. Once the word got out, every kid was dragging a parent over (no parent...no nail!). That unexpectedly turned into a sale maker.

Horseshoe hearts, haberman hearts, horsehoe fish, and horseshoe nail fish were all in demand. We took orders for meat turners, large forks, hoof picks and a variety of bottle opener styles. We even scored a couple of hardware (door and cabinet) commisions that will still have to be negotiated at Daniels shop.

$202 in sales and @ $180 in orders plus the commisions that we may end up with for hardware. Costs were $25 for space, $15 for propane, travel maybe $3.00, steel was less than $10.00 as mostly we used cast off shoes. Not bad for a kid working an afternoon and doing something he enjoys (he is back in the garage beating on something as we speak). Of course, now Daniel is also going to find out what it feels like to have the governments hand down in your pocket!

The Farmers Market will run on for ten more Saturdays and Daniel will certainly start working on his inventory.

I think hat pins sounds like another good idea. Although we did have to spend lots of time with the women fitting their bangles. Bangles were our number one order to fill for next time and they all wanted smaller, all leaves, and all in aluminum. Go figure?
We will also make some cowboy hats and long horn meat turners ahead of time as well (it is Texas after all).

Daniel and I think of you often and egg each other on whenever we tire by telling each other that "Pick it up..Alec wouldn't stop yet"!

Oh, and Daniel's Blog site was hacked by some nut from Pakistan. We will try and rebuild it to post his doings again soon.

Cheers,

Chris