I Forge Iron

How to get rid of mice?

Glenn

Only a couple of things on the face of this planet I'd say that about!

Mice are one of them! Paper wasp/meat bee/hornets are another...

One good reason to dislike mice immensely is that I've been told that they have no bladder and leak urine everywhere they go! Imagine that!

Peanut butter is a tried and true bait for traps. No need for string, etc. usually! Get the right kind of trap that a bit of peanut butter will be forced into the bait holder--many of the traps today also have an adjustable set/trip pressure deal.

The other slightly more expensive traps that have a pair of teeter totter ramps-one on each end work great too!

Like someone else said--place along walls. And turn off all of the lights. Mice love the dark--you will catch most mice in the first couple of minutes of turning off the lights.

Another deterrent that worked for me recently was DRYER SHEETS!

I had a car parked outside -- no transmission -- for over a year. When I parked it I put three unused dryer sheets in the car and NO MICE! YEA!

Ladies post, on the internet, about 1,000,001 uses for those danged dryer sheets--this one appears to work!

H

How about a big pile of green coal in the forge get it burnnin good and close up the shop - Smokem out :)

I hate poison - most the time u cant find them but sure can smell em + Im afraid my pets might eat a poisoned mouse and poison them or get in the poison.

I would stick to traps or a good BB gun
Ron

Irnsrgn already mentioned what we call a "Finnish Mousetrap" (though I've heard it called other things.) Something I do to make them more effective, don't use water, use antifreeze. They die faster, and it doesn't have that annoying habit of freezing.

The mousetrap in my garage didn't have antifreeze in it, no ramp, and there wasn't anything on the can, but I still had 5 mice and a mole in there!

Irnsrgn already mentioned what we call a "Finnish Mousetrap" (though I've heard it called other things.) Something I do to make them more effective, don't use water, use antifreeze. They die faster, and it doesn't have that annoying habit of freezing.

The mousetrap in my garage didn't have antifreeze in it, no ramp, and there wasn't anything on the can, but I still had 5 mice and a mole in there!

If you have a dog don't let it have access to it or you may be the proud owner of a dead dog (kidney failure from drinking antifreze) Dan:(

• 1 year later...

In my area a few years ago we had a mouse problem of Biblical proportions (it actually made the national news one night - yuk). Mice in the fields were measured at twelve to fifteen per square metre (about a square yard). This condition lasted about three weeks before they all died of some lung disease that develops when they are overcrowded. At the time, we were using the five gallon pail traps all over the shop and getting from six to thirty every morning. East of where I live there was an area that had a similar rat problem.

If you live in the country, particularly where there is a grain elevator - talk to them and see what the current best method is.

As well, if you trap one rat and paint it pure white then let it go, chances are that the other rats will find another place to go when the white one goes back to its home - the others think it is a ferret. Ferrets are incredible mousers and rat hunters, unless there are too many or too few subjects to hunt - too many and they will probably get killed by the other rats, too few and they become a problem themselves... best to see if a friend has one to borrow for a week.

Grinding up asprin to a powder and mixing it with flour also rids you of the little beggars (they heammorage internally from the asprin).
I once had a small can of old (very old) case hardening powder, it had a high concentration potassium cyanide - sprinkled a bit around the edges of my walls and the next morning I would find the mice in the middle of the floor (!!!). I finally found a company that would dispose of the stuff properly as the idea of having a can of the stuff in my shop freaked me out.

well, my wife being the more humane person I know won't let me kill the mice.... so I settled for proping a toilet paper tube on the edge of the counter top kinda like a seesaw with peanut butter on outer edge of the tube overlooking an empty trash can. mouse goes through the tube to get the peanut butter off balances the tube and falls into the can. then drive a mile out and release in the wild. not to exciting but kind of amusing especially when you hear the thump.

you'll all will say it wont work , but it does.
take and go to the drug store and get a bottle of oil of peppermint, not exctract
and some cotton balls.
put some on the balls of cotton and place them all around,but put the cotton in a cup ,exc, so the oil does not get on things .
i use it in my trailer , shop, house,exc.
mice and bugs can not stand it, and every thing smalls great.
been using it for years.
takes about one week and you'll see i don't lie.
vern:D:D:D:

I would suggest a .45 Kimber, but the neighbors will complain. Or, poison tipped numchucks, or as ApprenticeMan said, a mallet.(good one) Another option is a yard leaf sucker dumping into a belt sander. Maybe a small napalm bomb? Elephants,, they hate mice right?
My brother keeps horses, therefore he also keeps mice. He employs two barn cats that I am certain were sired from pumas. Also he has a Queensland BLue heeler dog that enjoys eating mice.

Seriously, the old mousetap peanut butter bit works about the best, seconded by a cat or two. If you employ cats, be sure to worm them often, as mice carry lots of worms and other crawling nasties. Rats (ALSO KNOW AS THE MOST FOUL CREATURES ON EARTH!!!!!!!!!!) are the worst. If your systems yield dead rats, use gloves to handle the bodies. They ARE filled with all sorts of nastiness.

I hate rats.

Alot

I mean alot.

Worse than liver.

Really hate rats.

• 3 weeks later...

I Have A Rottweiler He Loves Cats(thinks They Taste Like Chicken)
Rats & Mice Not So Much (not Enough For A Snack)
I Have Horses Too, They Don't Eat Meat At All!
I Got A BB Gun; Rats & Mice Won't Stand Still!
I Was In The Usmc I Can Shoot!
The Rodents Are Use'n Dark Magic!:mad:

The corner posts of my shop are locust poles......cut right from the woods......with the bark still on them.

The post nearest my forge has a 1inch knot hole in it. That knot hole has been home to many a mouse.

At one point it became routine for a mouse to find refuge in that knot hole as the cat gave hot pursuit.

I got tired of the daily chase and plugged up the knot hole with a piece of wood.

The very next morning, there was a mouse's nest in my blower!

So......I just took the wooden plug out of the knot hole...............

The last 2 years I have found several "skins" left by black snakes and my mouse population is down to nothing. I haven't ran across the first nest yet this winter either. I did get the pleasure of having one of the snakes enter twined with the tooling on the tool board this last summer. Startled me at first but he went his own way after a few minutes. I'd rather have snakes any day. they don't make near the mess.

John

• 1 year later...