I Forge Iron

My anvil is uglier than yours!

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe the prices some of these people are asking for these things! It's insane!!!

I talked to this guy and he still wants 2$ a pound for these two. He got mad when I made him an offer lol
2 LARGE BLACKSMITH ANVIL'S FOR SALE on Kijiji http://saskatoon.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd?AdId=428303541

Fellow at the fleamarket today wanted me to set the price on an old abused Atha hammer head; so I said You pay me $5 to haul it off---he was not amused. He should have just made a decent offer than trying to gouge me for as much as he could get---it's been there for 3 weeks now...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Bolt lugs like that are indicative of a Fisher Norris anvil.  They have a cast-iron body and a tool steel plate, even the horn has a tool steel top on it.  They are great anvils.

Even in that condition, she's perfectly usable.  I wouldn't mind finding someone that knows their business and could weld it back up a bit.  Hate to see a Fisher in that condition!

Looks like you got a beauty of a forge, too.  I'd love to have one of those larger forges. 

You think it could be a fisher? That would be awesome :) I didn't notice any markings on it but I haven't wire brushed it yet. If it is a fisher it would be worth my time to slowly fix it up.

That big forge is going to be my new user, the anvil was thrown in for free with the two forges I bought. I also got a bunch of tongs and top tools thrown in. The other forge that I got has the wooden handle that you pump up and down :)

I think it's time to sell off some forges tho... I now have six of them

Here's my ugliest anvil so far! Not sure what kind she is but it's cast iron and well used.

0F6A3C28-BCC1-4F9E-A618-5CB6F2ACF43A-303

It looks to me as though both the horn steel and top plate are missing.  Yes, this probably could be saved through heating, welding with nickel then hard rod, and a lot of grinding.  But I ask, "is it worth the time, cost, and effort to do so"?  I personally would not do it, but to each his own.