I Forge Iron

My anvil is uglier than yours!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, some real "ranch anvils" there---ridge backed from working shoes cold on the edges and used till there was nothing left to use!

Anvils came in all quality grades back in the day---just look at the 1900's Sears&Roebuck catalog re-prints; they are selling everything from re-branded HB's to cast iron ASO's

However the cheap ones tend to wear out and go to the WW scrap drives while the good ones keep on going to show up nowadays what is called "an artifact of preservation"

Also if you read the ads from 100+ years ago you will also see some anvil manufacturers offing anvil repair services where they will re-face old anvils, forge welding a new face on and re-heat treating. Only work for wrought iron anvils.

Here's my contribution:

post-4446-018663100 1288140563_thumb.jpgpost-4446-035857300 1288140594_thumb.jpg

It was given to me by a relative.

YOWSAH!!!That right there is one feloneously ugly anvil,I don`t care who you are!
Do your friends ever drop off anything that hasn`t been abused?If not then I wouldn`t let them borrow any tools. ;)

This was about 20 years ago, I was 15. I told my grandfather that I wanted an anvil. We lived in a rural community, and many farms had anvils from their homesteading days. He grabbed this from a cousin of his and gave it to me.

I tried not to sound ungrateful as I appreciated the effort. I said 'Gee........thanks'.

He was also with me when I bought my 1st 'real' anvil, an 88 pound Peter Wright, at an auction. It is for that reason that that anvil has special meaning to me and if I could only keep 1 anvil, it would probably be that one.

that one with the broken heel looks to be a mousehole. a xxxx good price at that. I just contacted the seller and left a message to see if they are willing to ship. This would be ideal for a good friend who I got hooked on smithing. He's looking for an anvil, and would kill for my MH anvil, but has no money. I'd buy this for him in a heartbeat at this price.

Aaron

• 1 month later...

That Moushole has lots of decent face left as well as a horn, only the heel with the hardy hole is missing. It's prettier than a lot of anvils I've seen with the heel still attached but the face gouged to pieces!

I think the price is too much. I bought a Hill missing the heel with a good face on it and fair horn for $40 for a "loaner anvil".

• 1 year later...